Thread: Tips for a beginner

Hi all. I have been singing & playing the guitar for many years & am relatively new to the magical world of the mandolin. I recently purchased the TENNESSEE MANDOLINE F2 F-HOLE on Thomann only to find that when I received it I had to get the action adjusted and a new adjustable bridge fitted along with a pick-up. It ended up that the work cost me almost as much as the instrument! Now I find that when I fret certain chords that the tuning seems to be slightly off as you go up the neck, even though when I test the open notes with the octave harmonic they have the same pitch! Any ideas?

P.S. I find it easiest (and cheapest ;-) ) to study on my own as I taught myself the guitar and already know the basics such as the rudimentary chord shapes, fingerpick technique & playing position. However, I would appreciate if anyone could point out steady & slow lessons that may be available so I can begin making progress to the next level. Even some simple tunes that demonstrate what a beginner like me should be aspiring to play like would help.

Many thanx in advance!

If your 12th fret intonation is on but other intonation is out the first thing I'd check is the nut. If the slots are not deep enough the mandolin will fret sharp up around the first 5-7 frets. Go to FRETS.com and peruse the setup information under "Of Interest to Players."
    "I thought I knew a lot about music. Then you start digging and the deeper you go, the more there is."~John Mellencamp

"Theory only seems like rocket science when you don't know it. Once you understand it, it's more like plumbing!"~John McGann

"IT'S T-R-E-M-O-L-O, dangit!!"~Me

Make sure you test intonation with a tuner. Our ears can't be trusted to discern minute variation in pitch.
    "I thought I knew a lot about music. Then you start digging and the deeper you go, the more there is."~John Mellencamp

"Theory only seems like rocket science when you don't know it. Once you understand it, it's more like plumbing!"~John McGann

Technique tip: When playing 1/8th notes pick direction is important. Pick down on the beat and up on the 1/2. I had 2 months of unlearning to do for not heeding this.

Quote Originally Posted by (Gerrymando @ May 04 2008, 19:51)
    Pick down on the beat and up on the 1/2.
    What does this mean?

I learned a lot, after two years of lessons, by studying on my own. I learned better stuff quicker by having a good teacher. Two different mindsets here; but be apprised that a teacher who is a good match for you (i.e. who knows what you want to know and does what you want to do, and will teach you in manageable bites) will speed learning and ablilty quite considerably.

My Opinion

Mike S

You mention the "octave harmonic". Are you testing intonation by fretting at the 12 the fret or just playing the harmonic? Maybe I'm crazy, but I don't think the harmonic alone isn't going to tell you anything, you have to test the fretted note.

Chip

Good catch, Chip. I missed that, just saw that the 12th fret intonation was on.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by (Barstoolboy @ May 01 2008, 13:33)
    However, I would appreciate if anyone could point out steady & slow lessons that may be available so I can begin making progress to the next level. Even some simple tunes that demonstrate what a beginner like me should be aspiring to play like would help.
    These are things that a teacher can give you.

That being said, there are many resources on line. Musicmoose.org has a lot of good lessons.

What kind of music are you looking to play? There are many good books for beginners in every genre of music the mandolin plays.

Welcome aboard!
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....