Thread: Mandolin camp north anyone?

I've mailed in my registration form for the Mandolin Camp North this month on the 25th, 26th and 27th. Haven't been to a camp in a couple of years since Roanoke Weekend in 2005.
    Anybody going or have any expierience with this camp?
    thanks,
    john Denniston
    Upstate NY

I'll be there. First time at any camp and close to illiterate in bluegrass, so I'm not quite sure what to expect. I'll bring my Mix A5 and Old Wave oval hole F.

I was thinking about going but last time I went to one of those North camps it seemed like all the classes I really wanted to attend happened at the same time. Then there were several periods where there wasn't anything I was really interested in. I was waiting for Mike to post the class schedule but apparently he has decided not to do so. I'll probably find something to do with the money...

Fiddler & Mandolin Player Dave Reiner's Avatar

johnnymando and mzuch -

I'll look forward to seeing you there. I've heard there'll be a really good ratio of instructors to attendees this year, with a lot of excellent sessions offered.

TomT, I know Mike was planning to post the schedule a few days ago but got caught up in taxes; I think we'll see classes posted very soon.

Hope to see a bunch of Cafe folks there! It's been a great camp the last few years, combining excellent classes and workshops with riveting concerts and multiple levels of guided jams. The food's fine, accommodations are adequate, friendship runs high!

Dave (disclaimer: I teach mando and fiddle at Mandolin Camp North)
    '04 Gibson F3, '04 Gibson A4, '06 Gibson F4, '26 Gibson F5, '27 Gibson F4, '87 Givens A6, 2017 Kimble A5

Author, Anthology of Fiddle Styles; Co-author, Oldtime Fiddling Across America
    Genial host, Fiddle Hell Online (coming up on April 11-14, 2024, with 220 concerts, jams, & workshops (incl many for mandolin) and free replays for 4 months)
    Join www.facebook.com/groups/fiddlehellmassachusetts
    Free jams on our YouTube channel YouTube.com/FiddleHell
    More info at fiddlehell.org

Thanks Dave, I look forward to working on my Monroe licks and really want to get some good kick-offs down also.
    See you there!

Mike Holmes has posted the 2008 Mandolin Camp North Class Listings by Instructor . #The exact schedule isn't pinned down yet but should be soon.

Dave
    '04 Gibson F3, '04 Gibson A4, '06 Gibson F4, '26 Gibson F5, '27 Gibson F4, '87 Givens A6, 2017 Kimble A5

Genial host, Fiddle Hell Online (coming up on April 11-14, 2024, with 220 concerts, jams, & workshops (incl many for mandolin) and free replays for 4 months)

Starts tomorrow (Friday)!

The class schedule is posted at http://www.mugwumps.com/mcn/MandoClassSched08.html Looks pretty fine, with John Reischman, Radim Zenkl, Rich DelGrosso, David Surette, Skip Gorman, and many others as instructors.

Mike says there are a few spots left, with late fees waived. Give him a call! More info at http://www.mugwumps.com/mcn

Dave

P.S. I'll be teaching there: oldtime up-to-speed jam, easy Irish tunes for mandolin, second breaks (variations and improvising), fiddle for mandolin players (bring your fiddle), creating harmony parts, twin mandolin, and New England dance tunes

Maybe next year Mike will post the class schedule a little sooner. The day before camp starts is just too late for me.

Hope everybody has a good time.

This was a lot of fun. Exceeded my expectations greatly. Highlights included Radim Zenkl's jaw-dropping performance on a 4-string Breedlove mandola, John Reichman's double-jointed pick grip, Rich Delgrosso's infectious enthusiam for the blues, singing harmony with Richie Brown and old-time jams right outside my room lasting until the wee hours. Too much learning to absorb everything in a single weekend. Special thanks to Dave Reiner for his patient guidance and indulging my singing(!) of a tune no one else knew in the slow bluegrass jam. I'll be back next year.

Michael

This will be way cool.

Rich DelGrosso:

Intro to Blues Mandolin

The Blues/Bluegrass Connection.

Chicago Mandolin: Postwar Mandolin Blues.

Rags, Drags and Stomps

Jugband music (my favorite and hard to beat)

Quote Originally Posted by (mzuch @ April 28 2008, 17:02)
    This was a lot of fun. Exceeded my expectations greatly. Highlights included Radim Zenkl's jaw-dropping performance on a 4-string Breedlove mandola, John Reichman's double-jointed pick grip, Rich Delgrosso's infectious enthusiam for the blues, singing harmony with Richie Brown and old-time jams right outside my room lasting until the wee hours. Too much learning to absorb everything in a single weekend. Special thanks to Dave Reiner for his patient guidance and indulging my singing(!) of a tune no one else knew in the slow bluegrass jam. I'll be back next year.

Michael
    hey michael , I gotta second your opinion. camp was a lot of fun plus plenty of great material to work on for along time to come. I especially enjoyed the small class sizes with some very talented and down to earth instructors. and by the way that was a cool song to work on in class.
    I look forward to hearing it again as i review my class recordings! mark.
    mark
    breedlove quartz
    mowry f5

I had a blast! Spent lots of time jamming with John Reischman, Skip Gorman, Phil Zimmerman, David Surette, Dave R.(now I know who you are on the Cafe,Dave. It was great to meet you!). Rich Delgrosso plays a blues style that I didn't know existed. Radim Z. is an exellant teacher and an amaizing performer.
    The instructor concerts were hot.
    I've been to a few camps over the past 15 years and this was right up there.
    thanks again Mike.
    John D.

Hey johnnymando (John) and mzuch (Michael):

It was great to meet and play with you in person! #Excellent playing, John, especially during the eclectic parts of the Friday night jam, and the variation/improv workshop. #Michael, it was a fine addition to the Saturday night jam to have your singing, and it gave the group a good learning opportunity around bluegrass arrangements.

And maddog (Mark, but which Mark?) and Tone Monster, who are you in reality, so I can match up people and online personalities? #An idea for next year would be to write our Mando Cafe names on our badges.

Hope to see you all again next year, if not before.

Dave

hi dave,

I`m the guy who was playing a f style mowry with the appletree inlay on the headstock(who was way over his head in your "second breaks" class but still enjoyed it tremendously). looking forward to seeing you again at yet another camp experience.

mark.
    mark
    breedlove quartz
    mowry f5

OK Mark, now I can match you up! Funny how we define ourselves by our mandolins... I'm glad you enjoyed that workshop.

See you again at camp or elsewhere

Dave

hi dave
    as usual, i enjoyed myself greatly during MCN. thanks to your patient instruction and extra thanks for going to the trouble of making tabs for those of us that are 'paper trained' lol

i'm just about there with o-keefe's slide!

2007 gibson f-9
    200X mid-mo [RIP] m1w