Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ricky skaggs

Blog Entries

It is my dream at 55 to have a full head of hair gray or not! As for weight, I only worry about his health. I hope Ricky is around for a long time! I am enjoying the new album a lot and I hope he has plenty more to come!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/tenorbanjoguy

"Gettin' by" with the imports!

Registered Mandolin User mandopete's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by (earthsave @ April 09 2008, 09:58)
    It covers songs recorded from a very narrow timespan/era by Bill Monroe 1946-47. #The start of the Bluegrass sound and to most the consumate Bluegrass band.

Rules covers the classics but over a larger span of time and artists.
    Is it only Bill Monroe songs? I haven't looked at it that closely, the title says "Fathers" (plural) so I'm assuming it includes some other artists.

I dunno, #I think I get the concept, but it's really not that different than Bluegrass Rules in my mind. #That recording really blew the doors off the place. #It was my first listen to Bryan Sutton and Jim Mills - man it don't get any better than that!

2015 Chevy Silverado
    2 bottles of Knob Creek bourbon
    1953 modified Kay string bass named "Bambi"

Page 2 and no lockdown yet? Hmmm...so, if Chris Thile and Ricky Skaggs were in a dual with Big Mon (circa 1992, not 1946 and definitely not the already in heaven angel Big Mon), who would win? No lockdown yet? Maybe they could have pretty ladies playing mandolins surrounding the battlefield...:D
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by (mandopete @ April 09 2008, 15:23)
    It covers songs recorded from a very narrow timespan/era by Bill Monroe 1946-47. #The start of the Bluegrass sound and to most the consumate Bluegrass band.

Is it only Bill Monroe songs? I haven't looked at it that closely, the title says "Fathers" (plural) so I'm assuming it includes some other artists.

I dunno, #I think I get the concept, but it's really not that different than Bluegrass Rules in my mind. #That recording really blew the doors off the place. #It was my first listen to Bryan Sutton and Jim Mills - man it don't get any better than that!
    I dont think it is all Monroe composed songs, but songs that were recorded by Bill, Lester, Earl, Chubby, and Howard in 1946-47.
    Scot
    Bloomington, IN
    http://www.thebloomingtones.com/ (The Bloomingtones Website)
    The Bloomingtones MySpace Site (The Bloomingtones Website)

Quote Originally Posted by (mandopete @ April 09 2008, 15:23)

When I first heard about this project a year or so ago it was described as consisting of all 28 (26?) songs recorded by Bill, Lester, and Earl in 1946 and 1947. Maybe the report was incorrect, or maybe Ricky decided to scale things back a bit, to just 12 of those songs. But it seems it was always intended to honor that classic Blue Grass Boys line-up, so evidently that is who Ricky means by the Fathers of Bluegrass, at least for the purposes of this CD.

Blog Entries

Bought it, Ricky signed it but most of all it was good to listen to and isn't that what we buy new releases for? Another fine Skaggs Family Records release. I still want to see Southern Flavor on a future release.

Wish I could play bluegrass for a living but I like to eat on a regular basis.
    It cost no more to go first class...You just have to pay a little longer....

All Bluegrass Videos ---> http://www.youtube.com/mikeb43

Or ---> http://www.facebook.com/StanleyandCompany

I would have liked to have more than 12 tracks. Maybe he'll release the others as a Part 2?
    Scot
    Bloomington, IN
    http://www.thebloomingtones.com/ (The Bloomingtones Website)
    The Bloomingtones MySpace Site (The Bloomingtones Website)

I just listened to Ricky's new CD about 12 times. The guitar player is SMOKIN'!!!!!!!!!
    "I love the smell of my mandolin in the morning. The smell, you know ... that varnish smell. Smells like victory."

Didn't Ricky, oops, I mean Rick do commercials for weight watchers a few short years ago? They use to run them on Saturday nights on the TNN Grand old Opry show. If putting on a few pounds makes my mandolin playing better, then pass me another piece of pie.
    A couple of mandolins
    A couple guitars
    An Upright Bass
    Some banjos
    Wax Paper over a comb
    A Loar era Didjeridoo

"I Never Wanted To Be A Barber. I Always Wanted To Be A Lumberjack !"

Quote Originally Posted by
    If putting on a few pounds makes my mandolin playing better, then pass me another piece of pie.
    Careful. Gain too much, and you'll have to play bass.