Thread: Schwab mls model

I have to relate a amusing story. I was in the market for an electric mandolin and I had trimmed down my list of fine builders to Kevin Schwab and another well known builder when I decided to look for reviews on the cafe discussion boards. So I did a search in the discussion board archive and came upon this thread below from a year ago :

My Webpage

When the picture came up of the butterscotch blonde mls basic model (first picture in thread), I was in love. I had to have one just like it so I gave Kevin a call to place an order.

I was expecting to get on his wait list when I spoke with him and found out that the very mandolin that Michael Lampert posted in the thread I found was for sale! Not one like it but the same mandolin. I was overjoyed and I bought it on the spot.

Just received it today and man is it nice. Sounds terrific, plays like butter and has top-notch construction and finish.

And it sounds really cool with my ZVEX effects! Can't wait to try out some new and interesting things with it.

Patrick

"The majority of people are not so afraid of holding a wrong opinion as they are of holding an opinion alone."
    - Soren Kierkegaard

Good for you Patrick. I was lucky enough to score a used Schwab that was a "custom" order 5 string a few years ago (there's a pic of it on his web sight, Strat style w/ Koa top). Although I've had it a few years I've only really started to use it on a regular basis (givin the band I'm in now). I'm always amazed at the musical ideas it leads me to. The tone is so sweeet. I too have tons of fun w/ effects, especially w/ an MXR compressor in front to make things extra juicy!

Nice. Does that have a single-coil pickup? Sorry, I'm naive about electrics but have been considering getting one.

One question I have is tradeoff between single coil and humbucking pickups on mandos. Any strong preferences? Probably similar to guitar differences? or not?

Is there a "talent" knob? Christian McKee's Avatar

It's pretty much the same discussion, but the brightness and clarity of single coils can come off as shrill and piercing on a mandolin sometimes. That said, I've got some old EMG P-90 styled things (single coil) on a five string that I *love*. Most people seem to want to go towards double coils though, and I would too, unless I had lucked into the ones I've got.

Christian
    Christian McKee

Member, The Big North Duo
    Musical Director, The Oregon Mandolin Orchestra

Hey taboot, I checked out your band's music on myspace. Cool, funky stuff! What mando are you playing - make, 4 or 5 string, single-coil, double, etc.? Is it the 5-string you mention with the single coil?

Also, what gear or effects, if any, are you playing through?