Thread: Manning up!

I just send in my deposit to Jonathan Mann for an EM-5 (5 string/14.5 scale) emando. This is my first custom instrument and I'm pretty excited about the whole process. It's going to be a long 12-14 weeks....LOL. Well worth the wait though.

I know Ted's got an EM-5 and he's graciously answered all me newbie questions. Does anyone else have an EM-4 or 5? I'd like to hear some more experiences.

I'll try to attach some pics of what I think I want in terms of woods/finish/hardware.

Charlie Jones

Clark 2-point #39
    Rigel A Natural

It's a curly redwood top with a hollow mahogany body. Mann uses a neck through construction method (maple/walnut/maple) and the body wings are mahogany. I like the look of the tortise pickguard, but I'm wondering about an ebony one. Might look kind of cool, matching the tailpiece, bridge and trussrod cover. Other than that, I think the pics are what I want.

It's the stock Mann pickup, Dimarzio Pro-Track. He wires up the tone pot with push/pull for series/parallel pickup switching. I think this basically equates to single coil v. humbucking. Someone correct me if I'm wrong there.

Strings...what are folks using for their 5 strings these days. I'm pretty lazy when it comes to getting strings. I think a 5 string version of Ted's JazzMando strings would be great (hint, hint).

Charlie Jones

Clark 2-point #39
    Rigel A Natural

worrying in advance are we?

for flatwound transition from round wound, I'm getting a guitar set and using the wound ones , maybe one of the plain ones, maybe pick my own for that one
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Worrying is a little strong Anxious is a bit more accurate. Thinking in terms of gauges, I know it can be tricky getting the 5th string right. Although with a 14.5" scale, that may be less of a issue.
    Charlie Jones

Clark 2-point #39
    Rigel A Natural

Chief Moderator/Shepherd Ted Eschliman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by (mando.player @ Mar. 25 2008, 13:53)
    I think a 5 string version of Ted's JazzMando strings would be great (hint, hint).
    Appreciate the confidence, Charlie. 5-string project is probably a ways off, but meantime, a set of Thomastik JS-110 strings is what I use on my EM5. D'addario ECG23 flatwound guitar strings (10-48), too, since these need to be ball-end.
    Ted Eschliman

Author, Getting Into Jazz Mandolin

Hey, Charlie -

I am the happy owner of Jon Mann's #70 EM-4 Standard. I like it so much I've ordered two more: an EM-4 solid body and a 2-point acoustic. You could say I'm a fan (Fann?).

Jon's neck-though design offers great access to the upper fingerboard. (Not that I spend much time up there, but it sure is nice when I do.) The overall construction is excellent. Not just the woodwork, but the electronics as well. Example: Jon's soldering is very clean and tidy. I like a guy who pays that much attention to the stuff you don't see.

The push-pull pot gives a big sound difference quickly and easily. I use the out position for jazz/swing and the in position for blues/rock.

My Manndolin has the standard 13.875" scale, so I cannot address your string questions. (I currently use 010, 014, 022W, and 032W.)

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Mike Pilgrim
    Sings: Can't Help Lovin' Those Manns
    ~~~~~~
    Mike

Thanks for the feed back Mike. I really like those two points, they very nice looking. Are you getting the one with the floating humbucker and pickguard? I've often wondered about a five string version of that mando.

I think I'll be taking Ted's advise and get some extra light flatwounds for electric guitar.
    Charlie Jones

Clark 2-point #39
    Rigel A Natural

All acoustic, actually.

I couldn't decide between a solid body electric and a two-point acoustic.

So I didn't.

MBP
    ~~~~~~
    Mike

Blog Entries

I have been eying Mr. Mann's stuff for a while now. I really like everything I hear about him. Have fun with the construction process. It's going to be a beaut.
    Custom Weber Yellowstone #5246609
    Carver A Oval Hole
    Flatiron 1C #96046174
    http://rekx.wordpress.com

I have an EM 5 exactly like the one in your picture. It is one sweet mando. I got it in trade for a Eastman 615 that I never played a few weeks ago. I already had a Blue Star Mandoblaster 5 string, so knew what to expect. The Mann is more jazz like, the Blue Star more rock. I play in 3 groups, and each has its place. I contacted Jonathon Mann about strings, and he reccommends D'Addario nickle wound guitar strings- .09-.014-.026w-.038w-and .052w. It might take you awhile to adjust to the extra string, but the lower range is great. Enjoy your beautiful instrument!!
    Chief. Way up North. Gibson 1917 A model with pickup. JL Smith 5 string electric. 1929 National Triolian resonator mandolin with pickup. National RM 1 with pickup. Ovation Applause. Fender FM- 60 E 5 string electric (with juiced pickups). 1950's Gibson EM-200 electric mandolin. 1954 Gibson EM-150 electric mandolin. Custom made "Jett Pink" 5 string electric- Bo Diddley slab style. Jay Roberts Tiny Moore model 5 string electric.

I live near Elderly and they carry the Bluestar's. I've thought about getting one. Especially the newer ones with the natural finish. I'm looking for something more jazzy, so your observations are reassuring,
    Charlie Jones

Clark 2-point #39
    Rigel A Natural

I had one about oh I dont know...2,3,4...years ago, I can't remember. It was a great emando but I shortly sold it and had Jon Mann make me this custom PRS 5 string emando. The case you see in the picture was custom made by Cedar Creek (TKL custom division). I can't say enough about this emando, everything I needed and more.

Jon Mann makes one of the best if not the best emando out there...but that's just my opinion.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4836.JPG 
Views:	144 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	30923  

Here are some pics of my first Mann 5 stringer....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	electric_mandolin.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	30924