Thread: Advice wanted by aspiring emando builder

There have been a few threads recently on some of the emandos offered on eBay as well as some of the instruments made by members of the Cafe.

I'm trying to make a start doing emandos myself, and the pics on some of the auctions don't look too inspiring, in fact they've made me back off from offering a couple of mine through eBay. All my tuners work in the right direction, and my neck plates are Les Paul jack plates with chrome screws, so I think I'm one up already! :-)

I know things like neck profile will always be up to the taste of the individual player, but issues such as fit and finish and general playability are paramount. We all make allowances for the fact that an instrument is made in a home workshop by a keen amateur rather than an established professional in a factory with all the bells and whistles, but at the end of the day we don't want to feel ripped off, hence my reluctance to offer mine.

It costs me AUD$100 all up to make a basic emando (without labour). I'm thinking I should offer mine at a starting price of AUD$100 / US$69 (plus true cost of packaging to survive the trip), with plenty of pictures to show just what they look like, what the neck profile is, and what the general fit and finish looks like, and see what the market says. I enjoy making these little beasts, but you can only have so many electric mandolins in your collection before she who must be obeyed says "Enough already!"

Any thoughts from others?
    Rob - Jupiter Creek Music - Australia

Unless I misunderstood, you're suggesting that you set your starting price at cost? Pay yourself for the time (labour), creativity, design, and overhead expenses too. If it's a decent product, charge a decent price. Testing the market or not, you gotta respect yourself by paying yourself.

Btw, got pictures to post?

Good luck.

Peace, Mooh.

Hi mooh

I understand what you're saying, but at the same time I kinda think the market can find the price for me. It's a long way to send a mando back to Australia if you think it's rubbish.

If I sell a few on eBay and eventually someone on here gets the chance to add their thoughts it may be better for me in the long run.

Here are a couple of pics:

Solid Hoop Pine body, neck made from Hoop Pine, set off with Jarrah fingerboard and Jim Dunlop frets. Tuners are Eagle copies of the old vintage Klusons, the bridge is a cut-down Eagle hard-tail string through the back Strat style, and the pickup is an Eagle P-bass single coil model. In keeping with simple styling of this solidbody mandolin I've done away with a tone control.

Solid Hoop Pine body, neck made from Tasmanian Oak, set off with Jarrah fingerboard and Jim Dunlop frets. Tuners are diecast Eagle, once again the bridge is a cut-down Eagle hard-tail string through the back Strat style, and the pickup is an Eagle P-bass single coil model (this time with a solid cover), this one's even got volume and tone controls.

I wouldn't give any away. I am guessing you are wanting to sell them cheap in order to get some out in the market. I would think you would be better off sending one on tour, as has been done in the past, or possibly sending one to some rather well known electric players for a review. Then use the feedback from that as a way to improve the instrument, as well as promote it. There are a couple guys that post in this thread that I would trust a review by them.

As far as price, for $69.00 I will take one.

They look awesome,When can I get one?
    I'd be willing to pay the 69.00 bucks for one.

Rob,

What is your surname? Contact info? Would you like an emando.com listing?
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Hi all

The first two mandos are now on eBay if anyone's interested. It should be interesting to see what activity they generate!