Thread: Epiphone mandobird v. eastwood mandocaster

My Eastwood Mandocaster arrived yesterday. First thing I noticed was the bridge straight, and sure enough the G and D strings were "off". Armed with my trusty screwdriver and the marvelous advice from some Mandolincafe posts I set about adjusting the bridge. A few twists and nearly all the strings were ok. Lots of twists later - almost flattened the spring - the G strings were passable (a tad sharp still). Now fo rthe strange bit: The second fret of the G strings sounded horrible. The "A" note was sharp and a little drunk (not very technical). The strings were not good quality and I happened to have a Medium-Light set of Adamas around so I replaced them. This seems to help. The original G strings looked more like D strings anyway - but that could be just my lousy eyesight. The action is also a little high. There are two screws attaching the bridge to the body which look adjustable, but they have no screw-heads on the bridge, just some sort of rivet. I would appreciate any tips on setting up this instrument.

The Comparison:

Mandocaster - Hard to set up.
    Action is higher than the Mandobird.
    Looks nice.

Mandobird - Out of the box the intonation was pretty close - minor tweaks needed.
    Weak E string when amplified.

Oops! I guess I hit the wrong key and posted early. Anyway, the Mandobird beats the Mandocaster hands down and is about $150 cheaper. Neither are good quality mandolins but you can have a lot of fun with them when apmlified using special effects - reverb, phlanger, suspended in a bucket etc.

Of course I may have a "lucky" Mandobird and an "unlucky" Mandocaster....c'est la vie.

"...but you can have a lot of fun with them..."

Yep.... #
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mb.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	124.1 KB 
ID:	28881  

And if you think Spruce's MandoBird looks bad, you should see the other guy's electric mandolin. I think it was an Eastwood!

Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls