Thread: Favorite effects for acoustic with a transducer

I have been messing around with playing my mando through my Tascam bass trainer and found a few presets that actually sound pretty good and a whole lot more that sound just plain awful (it is a bass trainer; no big surprise). Anyway, outside the realm of presets, I can make some of my own custom mixes. They are all digital emulations, but I am pretty empressed with the sound. This is just for messing around and maybe jamming with friends; the Tascam only outputs to headphones (but I have an adapter that will play though the RCA jacks on my bass amp) and to learn more about effects. So far, it seems like a bit of reverb, some delay and/or flange and a tiny bit of distortion are in my favorite presets. So throw a few suggestions my way, please. I play mostly blues, classic rock and country.
    "First you master your instrument, then you master the music, then you forget about all that ... and just play"
    Charlie "Bird" Parker

Edit , I defer to Ted.
    he has more shopping places to visit

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I go strictly analog (with a few exceptions like reverb and whammy) with my Fishman Piezo equipped '93 Flatiron Performer.

I get great results with the following:

Mando > Proco Rat (Distortion) > TC Electronics Chorus > Dan Electro Pepperoni (Cheap Phaser) > Ibanez Auto Filter (Envelope Filter) > Digitech Whammy Pedal or Boss OC-3 (Octave Divider) > Alesis Nanoverb (Reverb set to Hall 2) > '86 Mesa Boogie Mark III.

For smaller rooms I use either a '64 Blackface Vibro Champ or a recently aquired Polytone MegaBrute amp.

The digital multi-effects I have used (such as a Digitech RP12) stripped all the organic tone away from my instrument and I had difficulty invoking and setting up patches of equal volume and gain. Sometimes when I switched patches the new patch would cream my ears with too high of an output. Also, this particular Digitech unit was Algorhythm based and did not provide simple results of the kind obtained with seperate analog pedals. When I want distortion, or chorus, or phase or wah I get it with those old school pedals.

Treblemaker

I ended up using my Tascam to RCA jack set up in a blues/rock jam the other night. I think I learned rule #1 for applying effects to acoustics - a little goes a long way. An effect that sounds good on a short solo gets old really fast if you keep using it for fills and arpeggios. The more I messed with it, the closer I got to a clean sound.
    "First you master your instrument, then you master the music, then you forget about all that ... and just play"
    Charlie "Bird" Parker

Hey Ted, have you ever checked out any of analogman's stuff? He's got an awesome chorus pedal I use on acoustic and electric. I also like a good wah on electric.

Next up, I think I'm going to pick up a tube screamer.

Anybody know how to get a real good funk guitar sound out of an electric? A nice funky, crunchy sound for chord vamping?

Is there a "talent" knob? Christian McKee's Avatar

Funky crunchy sound... I'd try something with a lot of clarity and bite into the right amp. I get some convincing sounds from a pretty high output single coil bridge pickup into my Hot Rod. That'll cover most of your funk guitar sounds from Motown to Maceo.

Christian
    Christian McKee

Member, The Big North Duo
    Musical Director, The Oregon Mandolin Orchestra