Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Fender sb-4 (or sb-8?)

2 of 10 4 strings apparently sold at $995!!!! (no thanks)
    Johneeaaddgg

Luthierus Amateurius crazymandolinist's Avatar

For a four string?! That's crazy, they aren't really all that speacial, just one single coil pup on a tiny unimaginative body. They're not really all that rare either. I lovum though, I want five.
    "The Beauty of Grace is that it makes life Unfair" - Relient K

"THEY'RE HERE!!! THEY'RE HERE!!! the Albino Brain Chiggers!" - Harry from 3rd Rock

Quote Originally Posted by (crazymandolinist @ Mar. 05 2008, 12:07)
    Fender mandos just don't appeal to me. Some of the newer stuff by solo luthiers is really something, espeacially Ryder's. FM's never have been the best quality either. Cute as a button, but impractical I think. I love seeing them though. Firebot your mando looks real nice next to your Musicmaster, love it.
    Changed my mind, I want 6. two five strings, two eight strings, and two four strings in white, red, blue, sunburst, watever. LOVUM. Hey guys ever heard of the FM52SB I think that's what it's called. Sunburst, flame maple top, and amber tuning machines. They have two pickups, and a black headstock. There's one in my music shop for like 450 or 650. Love it.

"THEY'RE HERE!!! THEY'RE HERE!!! the Albino Brain Chiggers!" - Harry from 3rd Rock

Quote Originally Posted by (crazymandolinist @ Mar. 06 2008, 15:10)
    For a four string?! That's crazy, they aren't really all that speacial, just one single coil pup on a tiny unimaginative body. They're not really all that rare either. I lovum though, I want five.

Quote Originally Posted by (crazymandolinist @ Mar. 06 2008, 15:30)
    Hey guys ever heard of the FM52SB I think that's what it's called. Sunburst, flame maple top, and amber tuning machines. They have two pickups, and a black headstock. There's one in my music shop for like 450 or 650. Love it.
    The only Fender mandolin with two pickups is the FM-60E. It has 5 strings:

http://emando.com/builders/Fender2.htm

This and several other models were introduced 8-9 years ago in the States. Out of those models, the FM-60E probably came the closest to replicating the old Mandocasters. Except it had that pesky 5th string and extra pickup.

I think a lot of people in the States wanted a reissue of the beloved 4-string Mandocaster, but Fender didn't seem interested in meeting that demand. That alone was galling enough, but it was even more frustrating to know that a few such instruments were available in Europe. Contrary to your opinion, the FM-984 is indeed rare. The European production run was very limited (it wasn't originally authorized by Fender, as I understand), and out of that run, the batch that eventually made it to the States was even smaller (approx. 40-50 instruments, including both 4-strings and 8-strings).

So while a Korean-made Mandocaster copy might not have a lot of intrinsic value in terms of craftsmanship, it is quite scarce; it has the Fender name on it; and there is relatively high demand for it. As we like to say around here, a mandolin is worth whatever someone will pay for it. Guitar Chuck sold the first FM-984 to hit eBay, and he got $1,000 for it. Then he bought all that were left from the original wholesale batch and held them for a couple of months. Now that Chuck and Mitch appear to have the only remaining FM-984s available on eBay, they can pretty much control the price. If Chuck has sold two more for $995, that just means he has played his cards correctly.

Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Hmm, thanks for that bit, I love mando history. That page on Fender manos sure has gotten bigger since I last looked at it.

They're back here and <a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-Mandocaster-Mandolin-RARE-Reissue-FM-988-SB-8_W0QQitemZ360040222381QQihZ023QQcatego
    ryZ10179QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem" target="_blank">here</a>.

Fender should so reissue those, with enough advertising and enough quality I think they'd do great. Just do the same original colors and everything.

No less a personage than Warren Ellis of Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds is sporting a red FM-984 on the road and in the studio. The instrument shows up on several tracks on the recent Cave disc, Dig! Lazarus! Dig!

Attached Images Attached Images

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Could someone tell me the distance between the outermost strings at the bridge on a FM-984?
    Have one that lacks the bridge. So I need to know to get a replacement.

Just measured mine. It's 1 9/16" from E slot to G slot.