Thread: Kentucky km-300 e

I noticed that there isn't a thread about these yet so I thought that I would start one.
    What I'm considering for my next mandolin is eather a KENTUCKY KM-300 E or an EASTWOOD MANDOCASTER.
    Can anyone tell me anything about the KENTUCKY KM-300 E?
    Does it have a low volume problem with the "E" string?

Mastercraft Mountaineer Deluxe
    Morgan Monroe MF-6
    Eastwood Guitars Mandocaster
    Kentucky KM-172
    Gold Tone Mandobanjo-850
    Morgan Monroe Bean Blossom A/E In Satin Finish

Short, thin, and tight at pitch, E string doesn't move far
    back and forth
    over the pickup.
    so theres the physics of vibrating ferrous string in a magnetic field
    consideration

looks like the pickup height can be brought up closer,with adjustment screw.
    that often helps.

other people can supply a lipstick format pickup if you want to swap around parts, but keep the look.

thistle 's Pot swapping suggestion is recalled, a value, in ohms change.

a fan of CGDA 4 strings

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I played one through an amp in a store when I was looking for an inexpensive electric 4-string. I wanted to like it going in, but found I was not wild about it. It is really heavy and has what I found to be an uncomforatable balance. I did not care for the sound or the fit and finish.

When I got my hands on a Mandobird, which I had a predjudice NOT to like, I was surprised that I found it much more to my liking and bought it. The 'bird did have the weak E problem, which was fixed nicely by upgrading the pots and the capacitor, per Thistle's suggestion. If you are good at soldering electronics, it is a cheap, effective, DIY fix. Epiphone should just ship them that way! To be fair, the fit and finish is not perfect on the 'bird either, but I liked it better than the Kentucky.

Mando Johnny - You know, there's still a semi-rave review of the Kentucky by yourself in the archives, just read it again today. Perhaps you should delete it. You seemed to think it would give the Mandobird a run for its money? Just wondering. Frank
    FJ Russell

Es mejor morir de pie que vivir de rodillas. E. Zapata

I owned one of those Eastman Mandocasters for a few weeks and, while i loved the look, i hated the feel and sound! The neck was "D" shaped and way too big. The sound it made was very weak compared to my mandobird. I traded it (with several $ to boot) to Andrew Jerman and he built me a 5-string that is much much much better! Andrew's a member of this board. Look him up!
    Chippster

Quote Originally Posted by
    Mando Johnny - You know, there's still a semi-rave review of the Kentucky by yourself in the archives, just read it again today. #Perhaps you should delete it. #You seemed to think it would give the Mandobird a run for its money? #Just wondering. #Frank
    Damn, Frank, I have made over 6,000 posts in the last 5 years. Do you not have anything better to do than dig around compare my opinions today to every opinion I have had in the past? Heck, CNN barely gets that done for the presidential candidates! I feel like I'm being stalked! Have you never changed your opinion about a mandolin? Should I go back and check all your posts for perfect consistency? LOL!

Seriously, my memory of my experience on that topic, which obviously is not as good as YOUR memory of MY experience on that topic, is that people were talking about Mandobirds incessantly at that point, like they were the holy freakin' grail. I did not care for the guitar version, the Firebird, and just based on pix and possibly a brief play of one, I did not care for the mando version intially. My local dealer got one of the Kentuckys in, I got to play it briefly. I really wanted to like it and at first blush I did. Getting to play both more later though, I found myself drawn to the Mandobird instead of the Kentucky and I bought a Mandobird. Like most people here who review instruments they actually own, I tend to put a halo on stuff that I spent my hard-earned money. As the saying goes, "If you choose what you chose, you always have your first choice." So I stand by my opinion then, and I stand by it now, and I have never waffled in that opinion!

Now get a life, or start stalking someone else for a change, for cryin' out loud!

mandojohnny, I have a life, thanks, but unfortunately I ran across your mixed reviews when I was looking into buying a KM300E, and did a Cafe search. Believe me, I do have better things to do than correct you, it's just that both posts seemed so dead-set certain. Just thought it was odd. By the way, an offensive post is still offensive, even with the silly little smiley icon. Sorry if my catch made you feel uncomfortable. I myself was not impressed too much with the Kentucky, but I thought it was a step up from the Mandobird overall. I just got a Les Paul Jr. style from Andrew Jerman. When I get it set up to my preference, I'll post a review. Frank
    FJ Russell

Es mejor morir de pie que vivir de rodillas. E. Zapata