Thread: Ernest Instruments

Hey guys,
    Back in early April, I put in an order for my first electric mando. It's going to be built by Joel Eckhaus (Ernest Instruments). I can't wait to get my greedy little paws on this thing!!

Anyway, I was just wondering if any of you guys own (or have played) any of Joel's emandos? If so, what do you think?

CWallace

Chief Moderator/Shepherd Ted Eschliman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Joel makes seriously good instruments.
    You will not be disappointed. I certainly enjoyed the five-string Boomerang I had.
    Ted Eschliman

Author, Getting Into Jazz Mandolin

That's right...Joel does wonderful work. #His instruments are an amazing value in a world where instrument prices have gone crazy. #I've had my 5 string deluxe 'Junior' for about 3 years now and I am still delighted with it.

Joel's a very good musician as well.

--seth

Hey ChrisWallace, what model did you order? I bought Mandohack's Boomerang, and it's a very good instrument. How long until you get yours?
    Forget with the cowbell, already...

Hey Mikeomando,
    I went w/ the four string Junior 'Junior'. Actually, I took a ride up to Joel's shop to demo his 'Deluxe' and got a chance to check out his shop which was really cool. Seems like a really nice guy and, from what I hear, makes a great mando as well!!

Joel said that my mando should be good to go somewhere between 3-6 months (w/ early July being the "3 month mark") Keep your fingers crossed for me!!

I think that the Junior is one of the best e-mandos ouit there. I play primarily vintage ones and it has the look and feel of a 1930s EM150 without the noise and the hassles (like pickguard crystallizing).

Joel is building me an incredible tenor guitar. Stay tuned for details.

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Joel at Earnest Instruments is a great guy with some interesting (and sometimes hilarious) ideas about making instruments...

I've played quite a few of his electric mandolins, and all of them are winners....

I've owned a Teleulele (a uke that looks like a Telecaster) and a Hoochulele (pictured here), and both are real head-turners...

It's nice to see someone doing something different at a reasonable price in the world of luthiery, and Joel's doin' it...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hootchulele.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	74.8 KB 
ID:	2587  

Spruce,
    That is too funny!! I wonder how much extra Joel would charge me to have a mini cooler attached to my emando...maybe just big enough to fit a six pack? That way, if I'm playing a gig, and it starts to turn ugly, I won't have to go far for a little relief!!