Thread: Breedlove kf vs jbovier vs eastman md515

Sorry everyone for another comparison question, but it's difficult when one is deciding among several mandolins in the same price range without an option of playing each...so what do you think? Anyone have enough familiarity with at least a couple of these to give some generalizations about tone, loudness, sustain, ease, etc.?

I have yet to play a jbovier, but I have played the other two models you mention. As for ease of playability the Breedlove has it hands down. Good tone is based on a lot of opinion, but since you asked.....Breedlove again by leaps and bounds. That said, the Breedlove tone is not a traditional sound at all and while I find it full, and very nice....you might not. I'd say volume wise that one isnt really louder than the other although Ive noticed more consistancy in this department from Breedlove. Good luck!
    -Ben

Blog Entries

I've not played a J Bovier, but I had an Eastman 814 and now have a Breedlove KF. The Breedlove's fingerboard feels much w i d e r than the Eastman. It's taking a bit of adjustment. I liked the tone out of my mandovoodooed Eastman (oval hole) and the Breedlove. They both have designs I like(d).

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Either you'll love Breedlove or you'll hate it. #It sounds and feels different to an Eastman- or any other F-5 copy. #I've liked them, mostly for playability, and I like their unique tone- not my first choice, but distinctive and appealing

Blog Entries

Thumbs up for Breedlove from me too. #Getting used to the slightly wider radiused fingerboard will take you about two weeks max, depending on how much you play per day. The sound is unique and I like it better picked with a Red Bear Tortis and Thomastik strings (that should be by no means a qualifier for ya).

JBovier, I have no experience with at all. I've heard good things but I know I love my Breedlove and you get decent support from Breedlove folks and the Breedlove community. Eastmans are good in mimicking bluegrass-y sound if that's your preference, I've played a 615 but I was looking for sustain, which I only found in my Breedlove Cascade. Sorry if I sound like an endorser.

"Nobody roots for Goliath." Wilt Chamberlain

I recently aguired a breedlove cascade for some work I am doing for someone. At first I didn't like it but now it's really growing on me. It plays like a dream. It doesn't have the typical gibson sound at all....its got sparkling highs and and a good bottom end. It is as loud as most professional mandos I have played, and has a great chop. A great mando for mutliple playing styles. If you are hardcore bluegrass it may not be for you. Either way craftsmenship and tone quality surpass the eastman by leeps and bounds IMO (speaking of my mando). I have never played a Jbovier and to be honest only one other breedlove so I can't really comment on their consistency.

And I agree Red Bear Tortis sounds awesome on my cascade.

Randy

FWIW I love my Eastman. It's a keeper for sure. It plays really nicely, and it's really opened up over time to have a nice big voice, though it did always seem very vibrant and alive. Mine has a surprising amount of sustain too, more than I would have expected.

I hear a lot about them being inconsistent, and I have played a handful that I wouldn't have bought, but happily I did end up with a very good one, varnished and Mandovoodooed no less. I think the good ones are really excellent instruments, you just have to try some to find the right one or buy from a reliable source who can help you pick you out what you're looking for, perhaps play some over the phone for you, etc.

Jason

"Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn’t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn’t know that so it goes on flying anyway."

Newell A5 #37, Glenn F5 #66, Eastman 615 #537,

All Eastmans I have played(12 or so)have been inconsistant in tone, volume, and playability. I have never played a J.Bovier. That said, I looked at every possibility in my price range(1,000)before I purchased my Breedlove KF. The truth is that there is no one making better instruments for the price today. If bluegrass tone is a concern, try using Sam Bush signature strings. Dennis at The Mandolin Store turned me onto them. They are wound with a copper/nickel blend called Monel. They really compliment the Breedlove and put some of that DIRT back into the sound. Dennis strings up the Breedlove FF models with them in the shop. By the way, at around 1,300, the FF is the mandolin I would be looking at if I were you. Although, I would never buy an instrument without playing it first.
    Breedlove Quartz KF w/ Schertler DYN-M
    Ralph King Fiddle
    Unknown German Fiddle

In general, I think the Breedlove Quartz line is a really good value for the money. Tonally, I've liked them well...clear plain versatile tone. Some say they tend to be a bit too bright/trebely... When I had an OO, flatwound strings tempered that nicely and sounded and felt great. Necks are super comfy to me...nice radius, slightly wide and with thicker fretwire...makes for easy playability, imho.

Like others, I have found Eastman to have some gems and some duds... less consistent in my experience than Breedlove. Haven't laid hands on any JBoviers.
    Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    Phoenix Neoclassical #256
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If you're gonna walk on thin ice, you might as well dance!

No hijack attempt here - I believe this is relevant.

IMHO, inconsistancy is consistant in ALL instruments.

I have played Gibson's that were great, and some that were horrible. Same with Eastman's. Same with Phoenex. Within specific model lines.

Guitars are the same. Some Martin's weren't good enough for firewood, some were exceptional. Same with Gibson's, same with National's, same with Huss & Dalton's.

Always try to play the one you'd like to buy. Also check out thier return policy if you can't play it first.

My belief is that quality assurance in most production areas has eased their restrictions, and the results is the great variation in quality from the same maker.

On a guitar forum, that shall remain nameless, the CEO of the company had a guest appearance. Some of us were permitted to submit one question, and I was one of the lucky ones. My question was "Why do the qualities of every guitar vary so much in a particular model, for example XXXXXXX. I played 4 of them, found 3 horrible, and 1 superb." His response? "Because everyone has different tastes.

While he's right about that, to me it hinted at poor quality control. If each one is not trying to sound the same within a particular model, why would anyone ever recommend that model?

Just my two cents. Try before you buy, and if you can't, make sure the refund policy is plain and simple.

There is no arguing that there is variation from instrument to instrument of any brand or builder, at any place on the price spectrum. That said, there are some builders/brands that turn out more consistent products than others. Trying before you buy is always the best option - and what speaks to each player will be different. Direct experience is better than opinion polls, for sure.

But when trying first is not an option (as is true for some people in some places), it makes sense to ask others who have direct experience for whatever generalizations they can make- as the original poster did. I think what's important is to take it all with a grain of salt - recognize that people form their opinions in different ways, for different reasons - and see if you can sort through enough of that to pull out the pieces that seem most reliable and informative to you.

I couldn't agree more that it is important to choose a seller with a return policy that you can work with. If you buy based on the best info you can find, and it still doesn't suit you for whatever reason, send it back and keep looking.
    Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    Phoenix Neoclassical #256
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If you're gonna walk on thin ice, you might as well dance!

Blog Entries

I spoke about consistency in another thread and LKN2MYIS hypnotized me with his more succinct (than my) reply . By all means consider the opinion of others, then make a purchase and only from a place where you can return it (in acceptable condition) if it doesn't fit you. Even at $1000 losing ~$100 in shipping to return something that doesn't fit is a good idea.

When shopping, it is very good to identify what your sound goals are (not "I want to sound like Thilé or Bush or...") like, I want to fit in a traditional BG band, or folk, or Celtic. Some makes have a general character better fit for certain settings. A good dealer will help you find the right one for you. If the dealer you're talking with over the phone (assuming you can't go to a shop and play the wall) won't give you some time... move on to another.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

Quote Originally Posted by (JEStanek @ Nov. 03 2007, 12:22)
    I spoke about consistency in another thread and LKN2MYIS hypnotized me with his more succinct (than my) reply . By all means consider the opinion of others, then make a purchase and only from a place where you can return it (in acceptable condition) if it doesn't fit you. Even at $1000 losing ~$100 in shipping to return something that doesn't fit is a good idea.

When shopping, it is very good to identify what your sound goals are (not "I want to sound like Thilé or Bush or...") like, I want to fit in a traditional BG band, or folk, or Celtic. Some makes have a general character better fit for certain settings. A good dealer will help you find the right one for you. If the dealer you're talking with over the phone (assuming you can't go to a shop and play the wall) won't give you some time... move on to another.

Jamie
    You're good, Jamie!

Blog Entries

If only I could remember chord inversions and melody lines like mando café trivia I could play like Thilé!

Jamie

I have a Breed KO; as others have said, they're great values for the money, but most folk seem to avoid bronze or phosphor bronze strings to avoid the over bright tendency(flatwounds for me). I've tried an OF, & it would be acceptable as an f hole alternative. I've never had opportunity to try a J Bovier, but they get good reports here. I've tried 2 Eastman's, the 615 played nice, but sounded thin, no contest. The 915 or 815( not sure, I think it was the 9) was an very good mandolin all around.
    I've found a refinished teen's Gibson A in the same price range that has me MASsing.

Elrod
    Gibson A2 1920(?)
    Breedlove Cascade
    Washburn 215(?) 1906-07(?)
    Victoria, B&J, New York(stolen 10/18/2011)
    Eastwood Airline Mandola

guitars:
    Guild D-25NT
    Vega 200 archtop, 1957?

I like Breedlove for their oval hole mandolins, great workmanship, plays easily, good sustain, nice deep lows and ringing highs. I would use a Breedlove (if I didn't already have two old Gibsons) for classical, old-time, jazz, celtic or anything except bluegrass. In my experience, there is little or no "chop" to Breedlove, even in the F-hole models.

I can speak only for my experience with Breedlove Quartz KF and the Eastman 614 (oval).

I had 2 Eastman 604s, both were from that MandoVoodoo guy. There were a couple of problems with the first mando, and both Eastman and Steve stepped up and helped out. Both mandos had slightly (very slightly) radiused fretboards and nice tone. They did not, however, thrill me.

Then, I played the Quartz KF, it grabbed me. When I went to check it out, the local shop was hosting a show by a pro (sorry, I don't remember his name) and when I got to the shop he was playing it in a jam - a very bluegrassy jam. It sounded smokin' hot. Sorry to all how claim that Breedloves don't chop. Maybe the answer is that they don't chop as easily, because that said I sure don't get the same sound that dude did. I was comparing it to a very nicely made Czech mando, and it was much louder and choppier than the very traditional looking Czech mando (actually the pro played both mandolins so I could compare, and then helped do a final tweak on the setup. Nice guy!)

At any rate, barring an unknown rich uncle or winning the lottery, I'm stuck on the Breedlove for life. I love the tone, I love the big frets, and I love the looks. My playing has advanced a lot since I purchased this machine, because it really responds to technique, more than any instrument I've owned.

Of course, it's the only Breedlove I've ever played, so maybe that whole Quality Control thing was leaning in the right direction for my instrument.

And now, just to alienate as many as possible, I personally think that the KF is much prettier than the new FF. I love the looks of the KF, people look at it and go "wow." The KF is rad, and I personnally have an appreciate for people or organizations who follow their own instincts, go against the trends, and produce great things. I want to see Dave Grohl playing a Breedlove!