Page 7 of 52 FirstFirst ... 3456789101132 ... LastLast

Thread: Compulsive purchase- Flatiron 1N

Follow-up to my previous post:

2MC bought on eBay got back from Elderly today; had them remove the cheesy pickguard, do some fret work, and set it up. They truly do miracles there

Best news of all is that there was no structural damage. Seller also stepped up and sent me a check to cover undisclosed finish cracks.

What a sweet sweet mando I now have! I may eventually upgrade, but I'll never part with this one!

Again, thanks to all of you who post here - wonderful community, incredible info shared.

A VERY happy Flatiron owner -

mikeyjc

Hey Fatt-dad, I was just re-readig some of the posts on this thread and I wouldn't worry too much about not having the right files for the nut. Just use an old string that is of the right diameter. The wound strings will cutr the right size slot in it for you pretty quickly. The only one that you will have to figure out is the easy one, the "E" string I use a serrated knife to start the slot on the E string and then polish it out with an old "E" string. I only learned this little tip a short while ago but it sure did work well when I tried it out on a buzzing string.
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Ibanez M-522
    Gold Tone GM 10 Frypan

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Jiminrussia,

Love the tip. I will surely use it!

Pertaining to 1N style mandolins, there are two flatiron pankcakes in ebay right now. One is a "real" one with a reserve of $500.00 (for some reason its in the listing) the other (with a "buy it now" of $695.00) is the laminated Nashville, fake truss rod, Authentic Gibson "Flatiron". Hard to believe that there is a hope to get $695 for this poor substitute.

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

I saw the fake one on the bay last night. Buyer beware on this cheesy imitation! I nearly hoarked when I saw the asking price. If I remember correctly, the laminated toy is on it's 3rd ebay round.

I know what you mean about the "fake". The reserve price on the "real" Flatiron is probably prety fair, but if you are looking for a bargain, this isn't it. With the reserve that is on it, I expect this to go for a fair price, but not at any bargain basement price. Nothing wrong with that, but like most folks I'm always trying to find that Loar at a Pac Rim Import price.
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Ibanez M-522
    Gold Tone GM 10 Frypan

Personally, I'll be amazed if the 1N goes for $500.00 (although having the original case does help).

f-d

I had a 2M that I wish I had never sold! It was a great little box - very bright and loud. My first wife hated it... so I divorced her!

Brian
    Cheers,

Brian

Angels don't play harps, they play mandolins

PaulD gets the credit for this find - Frets.com shows how to install/fit a new bridge and uses a 1N as the subject. HERE'S the link.

f-d

Great looking case Pick. Good job on the modification. Your case does look deeper than my case. I bought a hard shell case for my 1N from Elderly Instruments and it fits perfectly without modification. They even advertised it as fitting the army-navy style. Now, before anyone goes off rushing to Elderly to buy, I bought my case about 10 years ago. I just checked their web site and could not find it. So I do not know if the case is still made or what. I cannot find a brand name on my case, but I believe it to be a Harptone. Anyway, just wanted to add my two cents, and also keep this thread alive.

I had talked with the folks at TKL about a case for this Flatiron. After the person on the phone checked numerous model numbers, the case did not exist or at least that's what I was told. I thought they could make one for me but if so, I was sure it would cost a lot. These Flatirons have not been made for a long time so companies like TKL, GWW, Harptone, may not make them anymore. This particular GWW that I have was advertised as not fitting a standard A style Mandolin. The case provides a nice snug fit for the pancake.

How about a shot of that case F5dude?

(as an aside, TKL purchased the Harptone line and moved, or is moving, the molds to their Oilville, Virginia facility. Whether they could do research at some point in the future to remake the case may be possible. PickinNgrinnin, did you ask them about this?)

f-d

I kinda dropped out of this thread for awhile, but I just noticed it was still alive. I would like to find a "correct" case for my 1SH. I've got it in an A case that is way too big, mostly to provide some protection from rapid humidity/temperature changes. I was in Acoustic Music last weekend and they were suggesting I bring it in to see how the Mid Missouri cases fit... they are pretty small and flat, although not as much as the Flatiron.

Paul Doubek
    "... beauty is not found in the excessive but what is lean and spare and subtle" - Terry Tempest Williams

Here is a picture of my 1CH in its case. The case is the same thing as the case for my 1N.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1CHz.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	74.2 KB 
ID:	5174  

Does anyone know anything about the 3MB that was in the classifieds? Looks like it was posted and sold soon after. It's a beauty. Anyone know the selling price?

While y'all are on the subject, I wanted to show off my latest. I have to thank Charles Johnson for this. I put an ad in the "wanted" section and never thoght that I would find one, but Charles contacted me and just recently had gotten this in, hadn't even listed it on his site yet. #It is a'84 3M Flatiron zouk, curly maple back and sides and it is a sweetheart. Just curious, there is no logo on the headstock although the label and everything is intact inside. Is that common? There is really no sign that there ever was one on the headstock. Thanks, John
    Johnsmusic

Sorry, here is a photo

Name:	zouk1.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	19.5 KB 
ID:	5180  
    Johnsmusic

and one more

Name:	zouk2.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	28.0 KB 
ID:	5181  
    Johnsmusic

I saw the 3MB on the classifieds last night and I think the seller was asking $500.00 He must have removed the price when the ad was re-posted as sold. $500.00 for a nice 3MB is a great buy. I bet he could have sold it for more without much trouble.

FD- I did not ask the folks at TKL if they planned to remake the Flatiron cases - probably should have!

I wonder if the Mid-Missouri cases will fit. The body on the Mid MO has a different shape. Let us know how that works out Paul.

That's the first Flatiron I've seen without the Logo on the headstock. An early one perhaps? Could be older than fatt-dad's? They may have decided to add the logo later on in 84? F.D.'s is a May 84 1N. Also it looks like the shape of the headstock is a bit different. There appears to be a more pronounced point at the top of the headstock than on other Flatiron's. Go back through this thread and compare some pics. Nice looking instrument.

What is the serial number?

It is 8410314, plays like a dream with good volume...if I can only get my hands to spread and cover those frets now....John

Johnsmusic

As I've posted earlier, my Flatiron 1SH is an '81 and has the logo on the headstock. I wonder if it's been stripped and refinished???

pd
    "... beauty is not found in the excessive but what is lean and spare and subtle" - Terry Tempest Williams

Note to the thread - there is another 3mc in the 'cafe classifieds.

f-d

"As I've posted earlier, my Flatiron 1SH is an '81 and has the logo on the headstock. I wonder if it's been stripped and refinished???"

Sure doesn't look like it. Definitely not the instrument, MAYBE the headstock???
    Johnsmusic

Do you have a close up shot of the headstock?

The selling price on the 3MB that sold in the classifieds was $500.I bought it.I had a 2MC and let it go a couple years or so ago,and have been missing it.It was a great little mandolin.The sound that came out of that little box was amazing.Shortly after getting the money order mailed for my new baby,I got up on the classifieds and saw the ad for the other 3MB.Really nice looking mando and for a good price too.Surprised it hasn't been snatched up already.