Page 22 of 52 FirstFirst ... 18192021222324252647 ... LastLast

Thread: Compulsive purchase- Flatiron 1N

f-d... you spend too much time on eBay! Who'd a thunk there would be Flatiron pancake "kits" available! That is worth watching.

pd
    "... beauty is not found in the excessive but what is lean and spare and subtle" - Terry Tempest Williams

Yep, I saw that too. Very interesting. You think Weber or somebody else also have parts like this laying around somewhere?

Did you see the other pancake that someone's trying to get 850 for? I bought an octave for 650 about two years ago.

Paul,
    Yep, I saw the 3MB on ebay too. They tried to sell it last week but it did not meet reserve. Hey, if they can get that much, great! It could happen. But then again....

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by (PCypert @ Sep. 21 2005, 13:00)
    Did you see the other pancake that someone's trying to get 850 for? #I bought an octave for 650 about two years ago.
    Yes, I too thought it was too rich for a 3mc - but then again. . . . . .

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

HERE's a mandolincafe thread that provides a link to get mandolin cursors for your mouse. One of the cursor options is a pancake and it's a good one!

f-d

Check This

Someone got a good deal on a Pancake! These Pancakes seem to be showing up with some frequency on the bay

What I can't believe is that the dismembered pancakes fetched over $800.00! Somebody really wanted them and feels like they must know how to bring them back to life. . . .

f-d

I too was suprised at the final price of the pancake pieces. I might have tried to get them if the bidding hadn't gone so high. Oh well.

Pancake scraps for $831?? What the??

I suppose they could turn out to be nice instruments in the right assembler's hands. They may wind up back on the bay!

Hello, all:

Not my first post to this thread, but the only other one (so far), was back in the single digits....

I am very pleased to have my pancake back in service. I've been playing my Vega for a while now, but the 2M was calling my name. Some time back, I put a set of TI mittels onto it (that's what the Vega wears, & she's very happy dressed that way)--big mistake, on this particular mando. The A string intonation went south in a big way, without throwing the rest off more than fractionally. Grumph. Snark. Back on the shelf it went--it's on the not-for-sale list, even when temporarily unplayable.

Fast forward to about a month ago. Faint cries of "Play me! Play me!" were being discerned coming from that case, and getting louder. I invested in a set of JM-11s from our own Mandohack, and I'm very pleased. It's the Vega on the shelf for a while, I expect (it's another NFS mando)....

So now I'm interested in the JM-11s. I tried the FT74s (d'Adderio) and kind of liked the feel, but not the projection. The JM-11s seem to follow the pancake gauge profile (fairly well) and I may just have to try.

f-d

F5Dude,

Congratulations on getting over $600.00 on your crazy f-hole pancake! Fabulous bidding on what must be something in demand.

f-d

Yep, I was very happy with the results. Part of me would still like to keep it, but I'm glad to see someone get a great mandolin. And I'll keep my eyes open for the next pancake, be it a round hole or f-hole. There has to be more f-holes out there somewhere. There seems to be a plethora of pancakes on ebay at the moment. Usual cycle though. Gotta love it.

The prices that people are paying on Ebay for the pancakes these days just blow my mind. In many cases they are approaching a new Weber flatop Y2K3. Just goes to show that collectability and desirability is all in the mind of the beholder. There is a nice 2M listed now, but bidding starts at $550! Too much for me, but I bet it easily sells for more.
    Cheers,

Brian

Angels don't play harps, they play mandolins

I paid $600 for my 2M (at a brick-&-mortar, not on eBay, and it did include a receipt for $250 worth of recent work), and still consider it worth every penny. What amazes me is what old Gibson oval-As are going for....

I wasn't too impressed with the one Y2K that I've had a chance to play, but that was some time ago. Don't know about the "Y2K3", but my pancake is hands-down a better mando than that one--it's not just about collectability.

I picked up Guitardave's Flatiron 2MC here on the cafe and all is great. Dave is easy to work with and made things easy for me. The Mandolin was just as he said and had no suprises. As for the 2MC, very nice, loud, and tons of cool factor. They are just so easy to play and get mojo jams on...too much fun on these little guys. Now you all may recall that I had a 1N, well I sold it to my bud, he did not have a Mando, I had 4 or 5 or maybe it was 6 at the time, anyway, I really missed the Pancake, so I bought this 2MC....well comes to find out that this 2MC and my old 1N are only 17 numbers apart! Both from 94 and only 17 apart in the numbers, that is cool. Anyhow, I am back in the Flatiron deal, and especially the Pancake...fans of the pan, later, dy.

Quote Originally Posted by
    There seems to be a plethora of pancakes on ebay at the moment.

Why???
    The prices that people are paying on Ebay for the pancakes these days just blow my mind.

And so it goes...

It's all because of this thread!

Well, a Cadet that was listed on eBay ended with no sale. It didn't even crack $300. Another Cadet topped out at $276 recently. So maybe those are still undervalued in the marketplace.

I know...this thread can go on and people can keep paying those ridiculous prices. I'll buy a new MidMo or used Bill davis for these are going for. Good mandolins...heck yeah! 800 Dollar mandolins (A Style Festival, banged up A9) no way! Market may be dictating a high price on these...but the market's uneducated and silly if you ask me. I'll take a new instrument with a great warranty for half the price rather than a used one with no warranty for more.

Paul

Yeah! #I bought mine for around $220 back in 85/86, so $400-$450 in today's dollars for a used M2 or M3 in real good condition would be reasonable. #Anything higher and I'll buy something new. #The pancakes were a great value for their price in their day. #But $850 for an M3 on Ebay today (there is one there) - I don't think so. #Course, there are a few who can and will pay just about any price to own one. #Guess that what collecting is all about. #Most antiques are simply way overpriced "old furnature" in my (worthless) opinion. #

Cheers,

Brian

So, you're mad at us?

Your post is kind of like a person that takes the time to go to a birthday party and then announces that they don't like chocolate cake - O.K.!

fatt I-really-don't-care-how-much-you-pay-for-your-hobby dad

There has been a lot of the Pancakes on Ebay because people have been paying a lot to get them! The prices may be fueling the owners to sell. The recent Cadets were very under valued IMO. No use in grousing about the prices. BTW, did you see what the Dude was selling for in the classifieds?

I'll admit this is my favorite thread on the cafe. Perhaps it has helped contribute to higher Pancake prices. The prices are up and people are buying them. It's a Pancake renaissance! Great time to own one, to play one and to sell one!

Quote Originally Posted by (fatt-dad @ Oct. 04 2005, 12:53)
    So, you're mad at us? #

Your post is kind of like a person that takes the time to go to a birthday party and then announces that they don't like chocolate cake - O.K.!
    Sure I'm mad. Those few "buy at any cost" bidders price these nice little mandos way above us average Joe's budgets. Now, if I was on the selling end, that would be a different situation.

BTW - I prefer yellow cake.
    Cheers,

Brian

Well, I was really jabbing at PCypert in my post. That said, I don't think that this thread or even the mandolincafe has any real influence on the prices folks are willing to spend on the Flatiron pancake. Just for the record, I've paid over $500.00 for my pancake (including necessary repairs) and I've had it for two years. I've never regretted any part of my purchase and don't really care whether I will ever get my money out of it. It has some real blemishes and it makes no matter to me.

fatt gave-up-cake-altogether dad