Page 21 of 52 FirstFirst ... 17181920212223242546 ... LastLast

Thread: Compulsive purchase- Flatiron 1N

Big Joe responds to the now running 21 page Pancake thread!
    Thanks for the update. Here's a vote to return the Pancake to the Flatiron line.

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

The Opry Mills pancake has no headstock marking other than the word "Gibson" on the faux truss rod cover. I had one, it played, but was no substitute for the original pancake. I'm not sure whether you can still buy them at the Opry Mills store (I got mine off ebay). They are laminate construction and use a somewhat different structural system (by appearance).

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Those mandolins were neither Gibson or Flatiron. They were called Opry Mills mandolins. The parts and bodies were from the orient and final assembly done in Opry Mills. They were pretty bad mandolins with terrible construction. We discontinued them a couple years ago. The problems they created were more problem than they were worth. Then there were the ones people put a Gibson logo on and tried to get repaired under the "lifetime" Gibson warranty that did not apply to those instruments. They carried the special 50/50 warranty. You know...if it breaks in half you own BOTH halves! . After a few of those problems I decided enough was enough and got rid of the product. They were designed to be tourist toys but some people thought they were getting a top of the line mandolin...for 199.00. Go figure!
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

Thanks for the reply, BigJoe. And, thanks for doing your part to preserve the integrity of the pancake.

Unfortunatly, they sell on ebay upwards of $200 to $400. On two occasions, when I've seen the bids get over $200, I notify the bidder on what they are really bidding on - and I've seen retractions accordingly.

fatt just-doing-my-part-for-the-pancake dad

I see no reason they won't bring them back. There's obviously a market. It'd be kind of funny to have a straight Gibson pancake again. Back from the original. Any chance for one with a varnish finish with a radius fretboard .
    Paul

Yep, I'm back on the hunt for a Flatiron Pancake...I'll keep you posted, dy.

Yep, game on, I have a 2MC on the way, and I run her thru her paces, and fill you in soon, dy.

Well, I've got another one! Remember the F-hole pancake I showed you a few pages ago. I just bought one like it. According to the label it is a Flatiron 3, built probably in 1980, according to the serial number which begins with 80 (if you can go by that). It has the Flatiron label inside with the Backporch Productions on it. Here's a picture:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Flatiron_3a.JPG 
Views:	102 
Size:	31.3 KB 
ID:	10699  

Oh, and it sounds awesome and plays easy. It will probably be going on the Classifieds soon though, unless I get too attached.

Does anyone know the wood combination used on the Montana built Cadets? I'm guessing spruce/maple.

F5dude, that is soo wild looking with the "F" hole deal, how much different is it from the "O" holes that you have played in the past?

I may be dreaming, but this f-hole pancake is closer to sounding like an f-model than the oval hole pancakes do. It just seems to have a "woodier" sound than my 1N. Maybe it's age of the instrument. It does put out the sound like a 1N as far as loudness. But like I say, and maybe I'm dreamin', it leans a little more towards a carved top than the other pancakes do. I'll try to post a sound clip in the next couple of days.

I like it!

f-d

Thanks dad! This one looks to be in a lot better shape than the Hawaii one that had the finish-cracked peghead. Did you notice there's no name on the peghead? I guess this would be a very early Flatiron. I'll get some more pictures posted.

Attention Pancake Society, I now have a sound clip of the 1980 Flatiron 3 with f-holes at the following link, plus a couple of more pictures:

1980 Flatiron 3 Sound Clip and Pictures

And what you have there is a nice rendition of Angeline the Baker played on an F-hole pancake. Fine job f5dude!

Nice photos at your site too. I'm sure that there will be a good home for that mandolin. It seems you've set a real fair price - good luck!

f-d

After considerable time spent _talking_ about the Pancakes, F5dude has raised the bar and we are now _listening_ to a Pancake! I believe this is the first soundclip posted at the on going lovefest. Nice pickin there F5dude! I believe you win the award for owning/selling the most Pancakes

f5dude, great jam on that...and yes, it is different than that of a round holed Pancake. Great quality on that recording as well...dy.

Thank you thank you thank you esteemed members of the Pancake Society! I don't know why I did not think of adding sound to my previous offerings. It's fun! How about a Tone Poems or Tone Poets project for the Pancake!...hmmmm.....let's keep rolling on to the next page................

I like that idea, how the Pancakes' different models sound, and the different styles is covers. #That is one thing, style: #Many see the Pancake limited to Old Tyme only, and I will say that was me at one time, yet as I play more, I see that she does keep up in a regular grouping just fine, and that the ease of playing allows you to really streatch out for a lot of music. #That cut and volume gets it on. As a side note: when did the first Pancake Flatiron come about? I went thru all of my Mandolin World News's, and saw them in there, around 1979, any info on the beginings of Pancakes for Flatiron? Because here is the deal: Why doesn't Weber come out with an anniversary Pancake? Have like the 30th anniversary N1 or something...think about how many that would sell....dy.

One of the fellow posters on this thread has one from 1979 and it has the "Backporch Productions" lable without reference to Flatiron Mandoilns. Just don't have the time to find the post, but it's up there. . . .

f-d

p.s., the anniversary idea is a good one, but who wants to wait 'till 2009?

I think I pondered this before, but you think a person could custom order an army-navy from Weber? Might be kind of neat. A while back I met a guy who had built himself a couple of pancakes. I don't know if he used a Stew Mac kit or did it all himself, but one was green and I think the other was blue. They sounded pretty good. I played one and it played just fine. Of course I'm still hoping the style is brought back in the new Flatiron line.

I'm still holding out for my 4 series...varnish finish, radius board, maybe a fancy headstock inlay, etc. All for about 800 . I'm pretty mad at this forum thread though. I've noticed since this started the pancakes are creeping into the too much for what they are category. They're good and versatile and all that, but they were really good when they were going for dirt cheap back in the day when no one appreciated them. I miss those days. Saw some trashed out when in a shop for like 500. It would have been 150 a year ago. Thanks guys .
    Paul

No hype intended on this thread on my part. I have one pancake and it's not for sale. I also have over $525.00 in it and it's not much to look at either. I figure I'd never sell it for what I've paid for it (that is if it were for sale), but no matter, I just like it.

I think we can all recall the day when mandolins were less expensive. Knowing that, I also think it's important to recognize those mandolins that may just be worth it today. If somebody already had a "5"-type mandolin (i.e,. A-5 or F-5), and had no pancake, I'd think nothing of spending $500 to $800 getting one.

f-d

HERE's a bid to watch! Dismembered pancakes. . . .

f-d