Thread: Strings

hi.. i just started playing and i broke a string while i was tuning... i was wondering what kind of new strings i should get. please give some suggestions

Mandolin Strings
    Join me Thursdays from 10am - 12pm eastern as I host "The Bluegrass Beat" at www.worldwidebluegrass.com.

d'Adarrio J74 is a very popular set. Go to a music store if you can, and have a mandolin player tune it for you

D'Addario J74 or 75's, GHS A270 or Silk & Steel, Fire Wire are all good choices. Buy off the internet for best pricing and selection. Breaking a string while tuning happens to a lot of us. Just too many keys to turn.

What kind of mandolin and what kind of music are you playing? The type of mandolin, strings and picks in all their mulitple combinations can have a huge difference in the sound produced. It's one of the reasons we are never satisfied with what we have!
    Jason

Lefty JBovier F5 Tradition, Lefty Mid-Mo M1

If you will go to FQMS.COM and look at the D'aquisto M-22 they are about $3.08 a set and for the money you can't beat it. If you give them a try I believe that you will be well pleased.
    Paul M Hurt

Maybe I haven't learned the proper technique yet, but I have trouble with the strings falling off the bridge as I'm putting them on. It seems like a job that needs three hands to me.

Anyway, I use Elixers. They last longer, so you have to change the strings less often.

Also, since you are new, you might not have callouses on your fingers yet -- you might want to shop for "light" or "extra-light" strings because they are easier on your fingers. I'm a firm believer in avoiding pain whenever I can. I have plenty of character already, I don't need to build any more.

Quote Originally Posted by (jfbrown42 @ Oct. 03 2007, 11:07)
    Maybe I haven't learned the proper technique yet, but I have trouble with the strings falling off the bridge as I'm putting them on. It seems like a job that needs three hands to me.
    Absolutely. Use a capo for your third hand. Hook the loop on your tailpiece, put the string under the capo at about the third or fourth fret and wind the string around the post.

A String comparison:

StringComparison

-Soupy1957
    Breedlove Crossover FF SB
    “The weather was so bad even my iPhone was shaking!”
    -SDC

I highly recommend FireWire Strings. They are getting ready to release a few new gauges. So now those who don't like there strings because of the gauge will have some options to try out.

They are smooth on the fingers and they LAST!

Quote Originally Posted by (Tocotodo @ Oct. 03 2007, 13:44)
    Quote Originally Posted by (jfbrown42 @ Oct. 03 2007, 11:07)
    Absolutely. Use a capo for your third hand. Hook the loop on your tailpiece, put the string under the capo at about the third or fourth fret and wind the string around the post.
    What a great idea! Thank you so much!