Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Update on gianna's condition following accident

I've received many inquiries and expressions of sympathy from mandolin folks following Gianna's recent accident. Figured I'd just update mandolin people here. Hope this is OK, even if it isn't mandolin related. We appreciate the patience our clients have shown this week in getting things out. Thanks!

Last weekend Gianna and I along with our son William went to Philadelphia so Gianna could ride her bike on the "Livestrong Challenge." She rode 100 miles on Sunday and even met Lance Armstrong on the road. Very moving for her. This Livestrong Challenge raised $2.4M for cancer. Thanks to all who donated.

We drove back Sunday evening and Monday, which stiffened us both up nicely. So on Tuesday we went on a "recovery" ride, planning to go about 30 miles. We rode about 20 miles. Heading down a slight hill, a large dog came out from our right heading for me. I never saw it. The dog hit Gianna knocked the bike out from under her and drove her head into the asphalt. After determining she was still alive, I called 911. In spite of being in the middle of nowhere, rural Tennesse,EMTs arrived quickly, then the ambulance crew took her away on a backboard.

She was released later that day from the ER. CT and XRays show a depressed cheekbone with fractures in three places, and some damage/displacement in the floor of her orbit, under her eye. Abrasions, including some facial hamburgerization. No brain or neck or spine or other serious damage. Her fancy carbon fiber glasses saved her eye. Her helmet saved her skull.

She's still not answering emails and inquiries very fast. Typing seems to really hurt her deeply abraded fingers, so I've been typing for her.

She'll go into surgery on Wednesday morning. The surgeon will pop the bone back into place and fit one to three titanium plates to hold the bone in place. She'll swell up and turn blue again, but should recover quickly. In the meantime, she can't drive and is quite exhausted. She's got a good deal of pain some of the time. Has some good drugs, but has to rest.

I've only been able to work a few hours this week, and will be mostly out this next week. On the other hand, I find I can still cook pretty well! We'll be getting to emails and calls as fast as possible, but really only have Tuesday to work. Wednesday I suspect I'll be tending to her. We'll try to get more things done and out Thursday and Friday, but I expect the backup to take a couple more weeks to clear.

We really appreciate everyone's patience, prayers, and encouragement. Thanks much!

http://livestronggianna.blogspot.com/ gives her perspective on the ride, her fundraising, and recent events. I put up a couple of images of her following the big ride and one of her nicely smooshed in face.

Thanks again for all the encouragement and support.

Steve Perry
    Stephen Perry

Blog Entries

Sorry to hear about the accident. Feel better quickly Gianna! Glad it isn't worse. Always wear your helmet folks!
    Jason Anderson

"...while a great mandolin is a wonderful treat, I would venture to say that there is always more each of us can do with the tools we have available at hand. The biggest limiting factors belong to us not the instruments." Paul Glasse

Stumbling Towards Competence

Hi Steve:
    Best wishes for Gianna's quick recovery. Thanks for letting us know. keep us apprised.

Best
    Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Steve...I'm sorry to hear about he accident. I am thankful she was able to get good emergency help fast enough. We just never know what the next second may bring. We will be praying for you guys.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

I'm sure glad she's recovering. Thankfully she wasn't alone and you were there to help her. I'm sure there were many anxious moments. My prayers are with you and appreciate all of special things you do in the violin and mandolin world.
    Eastman 805D Two Point F Hole Classic
    Collings MT-2 Sunburst Tortoise Bound
    Mid-Mo M-4 Violin Scale

Good God! Best wishes to both of you and a full and speedy recovery for Gianna.
    Steve

sorry about the accident

best wishes for a quick and complete mend.

Violins and Mandolins Stephanie Reiser's Avatar

Steve, thanks for the report.
    I rode my bike 262 miles in three days in the Boston-to-New YOrk Aids ride in 1998, raising over 6M (three thousand of us), and it is a wonderful feeling. But things can and do happen. And like you said, even on a casual ride. Thank goodness for the bike helmet!My goodness,...
    Well you just keep tending to her, as the instruments can wait. She is much more important. You sound like a bright man who has his priorities in order.
    Gianna, get well soon!

http://www.stephaniereiser.com then click mandolins

Steve,

Sorry to hear what happened, but give my best to Gianna!

Jim
    Jim Sims

" Amateurs practice until they get it right - professionals practice until they can't get it wrong."
    "Me?... I don't practice."

iiimandolin#19
    1917 Gibson A-1 Pumpkintop

www.sedentaryramblers.com

Best wishes to her for a swift and full recovery. I get nervous riding around neighborhood streets.

Thanks all. I'll pass on your kind thoughts.

She's sleeping well this morning, our little dachshund mix curled up next to her. The little dog has been very worried about Gianna - dogs are sensitive that way. At least the ones that don't try to kill you!

I imagine there's less pain today or she wouldn't be sleeping in so well. I can see that the swelling is down so she's just green with a few red areas. Unfortunately the decreased swelling really shows the smashed in cheekbone. No wonder she can't open her mouth much.

We're reasonably skilled cyclists. I have 35 years experience, many miles, many bikes. She's well trained. Very crisp and professional. We get reminded about that when we ride with others! But things do happen that can't be controlled or handled. She did everything right. Just about cleared the dog involved, but she was out of road and out of time. Strangely, if we'd been going faster we'd have just blasted by the dog without trouble. Being careful heading into a drop cost us this time. Driving a car bothers me much more than cycling. High speed, limited handling capabilities, and the roads are much smaller in that kind of vehicle. I've been much more hurt in car accidents, that's for sure, and so has she. And horse accidents. Gianna is pretty tough. Cracked her skull in a car accident, broke her neck in a horse accident. So I think she'll bounce back.

In the meantime, I'll keep running things. The dog's owner's insurance company seems to be cooperating, but we haven't formally filed a claim yet. Paperwork should be here shortly. I hope we can get the property damage and medical payment part taken care of quickly. Certainly the liability isn't an issue - we have a strict liability law for dogs "at large" in Tennessee. Just that the prompt expenses are building and not working hurts our cash flow a bunch.

I'm concerned about the surgery, the recovery, etc. Always a danger with general anesthetic. But it's still much better than I expected initially. Given the force of the impact (saw it in my mirror) I was surprised to find her alive. Suspect she took a pretty good brain impact. Her fingers were doing that nerve quiver for a minute while everything rebooted. But she doesn't seem any more ditzy than usual!

She's already looking forward to getting back on the road and perhaps training for time trials.
    Stephen Perry

Thanks for keeping us posted, Steve. We're all thinking about you and Gianna and the kids.
    Hope all's back to "normal" as soon as possible!

BTW, this brings back a memory of a dog and a bicycle from over 20 years ago. It's like the video replays in my mind; I turned to check the position of the dog, looked back to the front and saw that my 1", 100psi front tire was headed into the gravel at the edge of the pavement, in a left turn, at about 40mph. I can still see every gravel go by, and I can still see the place in the ditch where I thought I would end up. Fortunately for me, I didn't quite run out of road, but it can happen fast.

Richard J.

Best wishes for Gianna's full recovery..
    "The older I get, the better I was!"

Blog Entries

Yikes. Please give Gianna my warmest wishes and know I'll say a prayer for her and you guys on Wednesday. Good luck for a fast, full recovery. Stay strong Gianna!

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Add me to the list of folks who are praying for Gianna's swift recovery. As an avid cyclist and part of the mandolin family, I share deep concern for you both. Godspeed!

My thoughts and prayers are with Gianna and you, too, Steve. Hoping for the best through surgery and recovery.

Kirk Albrecht
    Eastman 315
    Epiphone MM-20
    Martin D-16H
    MIJ reissue 62 Strat
    Gregory Furan custom L-49

My prayers for you and your family, Steve, and in particular for Gianna, as you go through this.

Paula

Blog Entries

As a musician and bicyclist, my thoughts are with you, Gianna and Steve. May your recovery be smooth and full.

-Phil

wow just looked at her picture AFTER the accident. Looks like she was hit with a Mack truck. I would have felt like going back and dispatching that dog. Hope you are a stronger will than I...

Hope she makes a speedy recovery...

Steve- we're beaming healing energy Gianna's way, for full recovery....my wife/geezerette stuntwoman Susie went over the handlebars on a ride august 5th, got helicoptered unconscious to the head trauma hospital in el paso texas, fractured left clavicle and radius at elbow, roadrashed from eyebrow to ankle, slight concussion, was up and dancing, arm in sling, to Jessie Cobb's mandolin and the Infamous Stringdusters at Pagosa the day before yesterday, hoping the allstate settlement from the last elderly blind lady who ran her off the road will cover the chopper ride, glad she was wearing this:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2302.JPG 
Views:	131 
Size:	99.8 KB 
ID:	25921  

M@ñdº|¡ñ - M@ñdºce||º Keith Erickson's Avatar

Steve and Bill, We'll be praying for the best recovery to both Gianna and Susie.

I just started to ride my bike back and forth to work and I find myself being more careful and cautious than I ever have.
    Keith Erickson
    Benevolent Organizer of The Mandocello Enthusiast

I'll be praying for you and and you family. I hope Giana recoveries quickly from her injuries with no complications.
    Sara
    Jesus is the bridge beneath my strings.

Surgery tomorrow, Wednesday. No letter or anything from the culprit's insurance company yet. Will try calling. If that doesn't work, I'll send a certified demand letter to the culprit. If that doesn't work I think I'm in a court of record - maybe my medical insurance carrier will have a go and let me tag along. Bound to be over the $15000 limit on small claims court here.

But most important, the ZMC surgery is pretty normal stuff around here. Lots of motorcycle wrecks etc. provide plenty of practice, and Gianna's is a pretty simple smashed in face, rather than a complicated one.

Thanks for the support!

Steve Perry
    Stephen Perry

I had the pleasure of meeting Gianna at the shop in East Tennessee. She is a lovely person. My prayers to you Gianna.
    Tony
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

Steve...We are so sorry to hear about this horrible accident. Our prayers are with your whole family, today especially. God bless you all.

Ed & Dorothy Diederich
    Without music, life is a journey through a desert.