Thread: Mandolin at the proms

I switched on the TV last night to find a Proms concert from the London Albert Hall being broadcast. It was Mahler's 7th Symphony played by the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra and I was just in time for the 4th movement which features a mandolin. The program director gave the instrument plenty of exposure which was great. Anyone know who the player might have been?
    jacky

I saw that - think they both did very well. I did Mahler 7 under Micahel Tilson Thomas with LSO many years ago on a tour across Europe......he's great on that material. That symphony is spectacular - I have no idea why its one of the least popular of Mahler's Symphs.
    Ali

Can't find the details on the BBC Proms site BUT if you want to hear it again you can download it for the next few days (7 days from broadcast) from the BBC. Follow the link from here Proms 2007

All the best

Steve

Cool. It is indeed a nice symphony and I see SFSO with Tilson Thomas have recorded it too. I believe Mahler used a mandolin in his 8th as well. Good stuff.
    jacky