Thread: Cd 'fantasia romantica' by sebastiaan de grebber

Hello friends,

You'll probably remember that some months ago in the 'New Mandolin Recordings, (CD, MP3, ....)'' topic, I brought under your attention the release of the solo CD 'Fantasia Romantica' by the Dutch Mandolinist Sebastiaan de Grebber.

This week I recieved my copy of the 3rd issue of the German Mandolin Magazine CONCERTINA (a magazine I can recommend to all of you!) and in it I was happy to find Sebastiaan's CD reviewed.
    I thought it would be nice to share the complete content of it (in an English translation) with you. Here is also a link for those of you who like to read a scan of the review in its original German language (click here) and scroll down a bit. #

Here is the review in English:

================================================== =

CD Fantasia Romantica, music for solo mandolin,
    Sebastiaan de Grebber, SDG 001-07. #
    #

The young Dutch Mandolinist Sebastiaan de Grebber presents with this recording a CD which deserves attention in several respects: a program with extraordinary repertoire value, an interpretation on high technical level and immaculate execution, a tone quality less underlining the lute-like sound of the mandolin but much more bringing out to the ear that of the mandolin with its Italian sound development.

The programme covers that of the baroque to the modern periods, and offers convincingly all its differentiations, although always one mandolin is heard only. Astonishing, what a sound variety Sebastiaan de Grebber brings out of his instrument and how he gives the pieces their respectively own character. Recorded here are the "Fantasia Romantica" of G. Ph. Telemann, the "Sonata I" (BWV 1001) by Joh. Seb. Bach, the "Fantasia Romantica" by G. Pettine, the "Canto d' Estate" by S. Ranieri, the "Caprice nr. #24" by N. Paganini, "Diferencias" by V. Kioulaphides, the "Preludio I" op. 45 and the "Preludio V" op. #74 by R. Calace as well as "The Gray Wolf" by J. Craton.

In Bach’s "Sonata I", de Grebber brings out the delicate sound structure of the work with emotional depth, taking the listener with him on a trip into another, spiritual world, something that is especially noticeable in the Fugue. #
    In contrast with this are the prescibed sharp strokes in the two-voice work by Victor Kioulaphides, a Greek living in the USA, that give the work its prominent place. Both works by Raffaele Calace display what the listener expects of this composer: virtuosity, romanticism, brilliant tremolo, full use of the dynamics of the instrument, arpeggios etc.. The Italian Giuseppe Pettine is represented with one of his finest compositions for mandolin solo, a piece that claims the entire register of playing techniques on the mandolin: large chords, rapid arpeggios, flageolet-tones and more of that.

Demanding completely different ways of expression from the interpreter is the work "The Gray wolf", a piece written for him by the American John Craton. This work is based on a 19th century story of the Scottish author George MacDonald. An interesting new publication, worthwhile to occupy oneself with. As a brilliant concluding piece with the highest difficulty degree and excellently performed is the "Caprice" nr. 24 by Niccolò Paganini.

Summarizing it can be concluded, that this CD belongs to the best, what in this genre has been recently put on the market. Worth mentioning also is that with one exception all works are performed on a Luigi Embergher reproduction build by Pasquale Pecoraro in the year 1956. Therefore, of to the next store; because this CD belongs into each CD collection. (ema)

CONCERTINA edition 3/2007 - Rezensionen p.183 (English translation). #

================================================== =

Also, here is a link to the Internet site with music samples of the CD (click here). For this occasion Sebastiaan has made the samples much longer to listen too!

Enjoy and best regards,

Alex

Photo: Sebastiaan de Grebber (2006)

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sebas_with_MBasso.JPG 
Views:	303 
Size:	17.2 KB 
ID:	25595  

Thanks, Alex, for sharing that nice review.

Sebastiaan looks much smaller in that picture than I remember him.

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Is that the instrument he plays on the recording?

Thank you for sharing this with us, Alex. Of course, Sebastiaan's playing is nothing less than spectacular; I am happy to see that the world is taking note. Please convey my continuing congratulations to him.
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)