Thread: Electric Mandola Recommendation

Need some recommendations.

It looks like I may have to get an electric mandola custom built. I've posted in the classifieds for the availability of a used instrument, but haven't gotten any responses.

I want an instrument with at least a 16" scale length for CGDA tuning. My preference is for an 8 string, but I will consider builders that only make 4 and 5 stringers. My budget is $ 500 - $ 2000.

I currently have a 1960s Kingston electric mandola. It's not a bad instrument, especially considering what I paid for it. I really like the sound of an electric instrument and would like to get something of higher quality. The Kingston has proven almost impossible to intonate with all 8 strings, but it's pretty reasonable and fun with 4 strings. While the fret work is tolerable, I want something better in that respect as well.

Build time is also a concern. I can probably wait 6 months, but I’m too old (and impatient) to wait much longer.

I attempt to play all kinds of music, but I like to experiment with effects, distortion, tube amps, etc. I play and like, the following acoustic mandolins/dolas/octaves: Flatiron, Weber, Old Wave.

Any recommendations or comments are appreciated.

Thanks, Hoyt

Are you talking a 16" overall length from the nut to the bridge, or a 16" scale length from the nut to the 12th fret?
    Forget with the cowbell, already...

Mike,

I meant 16" nut to the bridge. That's the shortest I'm really interested in playing. My acoustic dola is 17" and that would be perfect.

Thanks, Hoyt

Joseph Yanuziello is building an 18" 8-string electric mandola for $1800 Canadian.

Here's the skinny:

http://yanuziello.com/electrics.htm

I can endorse Joe's instruments without reservation. I play one of his 8-string e-mandolins and it's a sweet little axe.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Mrmando,

Perfect timing. I talked to him this morning and it sounds exactly like what I want -- longer scale and he can do some cool things with colors.

Anyway, your recommendation seals the deal and I'm going to get him a money order off tomorrow for a deposit.

He indicates it will be ready to ship by mid-September. That's pretty good turnaround.

Thanks for your recommendation. Hoyt