Thread: charango

any charango players out there?

want to come out and play?

sincerely - bill

later...

perhaps i should be a bit more explicit.

contributors to the medieval/renaissance/classical threads on the message board have very kindly tolerated my intrusion into their business for quite some time now and i was wonderfing if there are any amongst you who would entertain the idea of adding the charango to the CBOM section of the message board? from what i've gathered, almost everyone has one but doesn't play it much. this is a shame because it's a beautiful, soulful little instrument. like the cittern, its roots are early european and the with the possibility of different tunings it could be opened up to a more varied repertoire and (hopefully) a wider circle of happy players.

there are no sites (in english) for the charango at the moment that are in the same league as this one and i would welcome the exchange of information.

please let me know what you think about this proposal and thank you for any consideration you might give it.

sincerely - bill

Not yet, but in the future certainly

In the classical section someone suggested that ukes aren't far off either, and since I play uke, I would love to see a charango, uke, and some other comparable scale-length instruments featured here on the good ol' café!
    I've always been crazy, but it kept me from going insane! (W.J.)

Syncopation rules the nation! (S.J.)

Default Re: charango

... I begin after transformed one

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Charandolin_in process5.JPG 
Views:	201 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	166668 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	histoire_transgressive_dun_charango_metal_devenu_charandoline-page0.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	166669

Blog Entries

Default Re: charango

I do play one charango and ronroco from time to time... https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/a...hmentid=105355

Exclamation Re: charango

I tune my charangos (which I also sell) as a Brazilian mandolinist would, like a ten string mandolin, of course! CGDAE. I don't go crazy modifying it to hold steel strings, but I did have a custom made Daddario nylon wound C string made , so I could tune each course in octaves. The lowest course, the C's, are tuned like a mandola and a mandocello! The lowest C is CELLO PITCH, that is a major 3rd lower than the guitar low E! I tried tuning my MANDORANGO (CHARANGOLIN) in unison courses, but i much prefer the octave stringing, a fuller sound. I sold one to Joe CRAVEN who was also captivated by the low C sound! The scale length is close enough to mandolin to tune it that way but the high E is the thinnest nylon made, .018! SO, why not tune it as low as a Cello? The bass ukulele is not much longer and it tunes like a bass viol!