Thread: Avi avital on youtube

...just in case some of youse haven't seen it. The Bartok Rumanian Dances are sooooo well suited for adaptation to strings/mandolin. It sounds so good that you wouldn't know it was the original arrangement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v....search=

Check out his encore as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v....search=

And who are the snot-faced little punks rating this stuff two and three stars?

Very, VERY nice, indeed! Yes, the Bartok sounds excellent, with the expressive character of the lone, plucked instrument interwoven amidst the lush sonority of the bowed ones. Intelligent phrasing, lovely mandolin tone, good conducting, fine string orchestra... a pleasure to listen to, all around.
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

Thanks very much for these links. I remember this concert being announced but I missed these videos. I love this piece and the performance was just great. I really enjoyed the encore as well. A little more challenging to my ear but a knockout performance of a brilliant composition.

Anyone know what mandolin he's playing here? It resembles a darker version of an old Flatiron and I really like that kind of sound.

John G.

Thanks for posting that. The Bartok is especially wonderful. The videography is great too. I appreciate being able to see Avital's technique as clearly as that.

The mandolin Avi is using was made by the Israeli artist Arik Kerman.

As far as I can remember I think Ari said that it was made for him. (I should take notes when I speak to people who have interesting instruments.)
    Regards,
    Henry

Superb! thanks for the posting. Met Avi at the Bamberg Festival last year... very nice guy and an outstanding player.

Yes I agree, I should have said first of all that the music is great and so well played by Avi. I was so intent on giving info on the mandolin I forgot.

But to go back to the mandolin that Jgoodin asked about I shall try and post a photo of Avi with his mandolin and you should see that it is much more decorated than a Flatiron.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p002_1_.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	24586  
    Regards,
    Henry