Thread: Mandobird:  how many mods needed?

Destroyer of Mandolins

I've been thinking about the Epi Mandobird, but have read some reviews that say it needs quite a lot of work to bring it up to code. New nut, relocate bridge, wiring problems. What's the experience here?
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

All I did with mine was have the nut replaced ... made all the difference in the world. I sold it when I got my Schwab but the Mandobird served me well for the two years I had it. At its price point, you really can't go wrong ...

Hope this helps ...
    Bluegrass ... "It's Folk Music With An Overbite" (Robert Shelton)
    www.waynefugate.com

Depends on what you mean by "up to code." Mine is basically a toy, I don't perform with it. I got a good setup and that was an improvement. The only big problem for me is that gain is weak on the E string. I tried an aftermarket pickup, but that didn't really help. I've been advised to change to different capacitors, but I haven't gotten around to it.

I have seen people perform with them on TV, which has surprised me. I have wondered what kind of work they had done or if the professional sound guys just take care of it in the mix.

They are a neat little instrument and fun to mess around with. They are pretty well made. I wish someone would come out with a reasonably priced, "slam-dunk" fix for the pickup deficiency. Frankly, though, if I needed to perform regularly with a solid-body 4-string, I would probably set my sights higher.

Destroyer of Mandolins

Thanks for that! Is there any other four-string you might recommend in the under $1000 range? I'd rather not take an eight string and leave off four strings, although I understand that is done sometimes.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

How far under $1000 are we talking about?

Blue Star Mandoblaster would be a step up from the MandoBird, but still might require mods if you're picky. Elloree Instruments in Louisiana is a good handbuildt budget line.

However, a used Schwab can sometimes be had for less than $1000 (not MUCH less, but still...). You should also check pricing on basic models by Ryder, Mann, Eckhaus ... Jupiter Creek or Andrew Jerman (both active in the Cafe) would be well within your budget as well. Ron Lira and Russ Cudney are building for $600-750 a pop, I think. Lots of choices at emando.com if you want to spend some time checking it out.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

I don't have a lot of experience with electrics, but here is what little I know.

> Some people have said good things about the Blue Star Mandoblaster that Elderly sells. They are in the $700 ballpark.

> Terry Bales in Springfield, MO makes Tele-style 4-stings for $750. Never played one, but they look great. If I were upgrading, I would have to seriously consider them.
    http://www.balesguitars.com/mandolins.htm

> This is a bit above your price, but Mid-Missouri (now Big Muddy) used to make a solid body electric. I got to play one at thier old factory and it was way cool. BTW, they modified the body design from what is on the website. They look better than what is pictured. But they were $1,200 and with all thier troubles, I don't know fit they are making them anymore.

> I would avoid the Kentucky 300 solid body electric. I played one at a store and didn't like it. It was very heavy and just did not sound good to me, even played through a great amp. I think the 'bird is the better choice in that range.

Mike Dulak tells me the MidMo electrics were not money-makers and he isn't currently building any.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

I've got a custom Ron Lira 4-string that is great. His emandos are in the $650-$750 range. He had 3 different ones in the shop when I was there a few weeks ago.
    Honest Ron's Guitars

I had the pickup on my Mandobird replaced with a minihumbucker.

Pros: Sounds great. Cons: Had to route out a bigger hole for the pickup.

I should replace the nut one of these days to bring the strings a bit closer together.

Pete
    Pete Braccio

"The Rules: Play nice and don't run with scissors"
    http://www.braccio.me
    Check out my web site for:
    Jack Tottle music files
    BBC Virtual Session files
    O'Neill's PDFs
    ITM Tunebooks, and more

If you can find a Schwab anywhere for under $1,000 as mrmando says is sometimes possible, JUMP on it!! They are absolutely wonderful instruments in every way that an instrument can be wonderful!
    Bluegrass ... "It's Folk Music With An Overbite" (Robert Shelton)
    www.waynefugate.com

See if you can put your name on the first-alert list at Elderly for a used Bluestar Mandoblaster. #They are a solid well-made instrument, tho funky looking. #
    The guy who builds them does customs too. #I'd think that by using the same stock neck (which is very comfortable) a custom body would be reasonably priced.

Wye Knot

braccio: What make/model of mini-humbucker?

It was a used mini that they had laying around the shop. I was told it came off of an Gibson Firebird. I'll attach a picture.

Some one else on the list did the same thing with an off the shelf mini humbucker. He used a Stuart Duncan pickup. The discussion is here.

Pete
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cafe_1.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	23751  
    Pete Braccio

"The Rules: Play nice and don't run with scissors"
    http://www.braccio.me
    Check out my web site for:
    Jack Tottle music files
    BBC Virtual Session files
    O'Neill's PDFs
    ITM Tunebooks, and more

My Mandobird needed a new nut. They don't seem to get the spacing right at the factory. The pickup is rather bassy and boomy, but OK if you like a jazzy sound. For more twang, you could either swap the pickup or do what I did - run it through an effects pedal. For the Mandobird, I like the "ducking" position on my Line 6 Echo Park. Also, when it comes to electric mandos, I prefer four and five string models over the eights.

I think WJF put it best: "At its price point, you really can't go wrong." #200 bucks with a gig bag for a 4 string. #I think they're going for about $150 used on eBay.

It's a bummer that they chose to put an odd size pickup in those. #I chose to put a single coil size, 'railed' humbucker in the ones I make because it leaves a lot more options open for all of us who like to tinker.

There are a LOT of emando instruments available in the range of $200 to $1,000. #Here's a thought: I see so many guitar players that buy a mid priced Strat type of guitar, then put another two to three hundred dollers into them to swap out the pickups and other hardware. #In the long run, they could have purchased nearly the same upgraded instrument in the first place, if they just put out the increased amount of money in the first place.

If you want a lower priced instrument just to start out and see how you like it, buy a stock Mandobird and have fun. #You could play it for a year and sell it for 50 bucks less than you paid. #That's basically a dollar a week to 'test' it. #You can't go wrong.

Destroyer of Mandolins

Thanks everyone for all the input. I'm in the process of checking out emando.com, but there's a lot to learn! Thanks again.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user