Thread: Who loops?

In this month's Guitar Player magazine there's some coverage of Loopfest - where a bunch of people create complex soundscapes using electonic/computer/etc. delay gear. Never been to one of these, but wouldn't mind checking it out someday...

Anyway, the list of performers this year included "a mandolinist." I wondered if this could've been one of us, but so far a web search for this year's fest hasn't turned up anything. I'll keep looking.

I DID find stuff from previous years' fests, so maybe one of these guys returned this year. [edit] It might have also been the guy discussed in this thread!

Check this page for some shots of Adrian West on Harmony Batwing/eviolin (Audio of Adrian looping here) and on page 7, Hideki Nakanishi (aka Mando Man)! I wish there was audio of him, as he's probably as close to Tekno as I'm going to get! Any guesses as to the maker of Nakanishi's axe?

Hideki rolls his own mandolins, according to the intro of this MP3.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Wow. Not exactly ear-blood-extracting, but still interesting in a one-man-band/trippysampling/performance art sorta way. I'm picturing a lot of knob-twiddling and key-punching.

Thanks for the find!

There were at least two tracks available featuring Hideki Nakanishi from: Y2K6 Loopfest One is solo, on which he plays daxophone, in addition to looped electric mandolin (18 mins 58 secs) - the other is a loop jam with Walker, Boysen, Straschill (19 mins 29 secs).

I think these may be the same tracks that mrmando posted links for? Can't seem to download them myself but if one track features squeaky vocal type sounds after the into, then this is the solo track featuring daxophone and emando.

Andrew Hendryx uses a looping pedal (Line 6 DL4) on "13 Street Repose" - on most of the tracks, in fact.

I do love some of Krispen Hartungs guitar looping stuff but I don't find the mandolin stuff particularly exciting - he uses a six string mando guitar btw!

I have a Boss RC-20 loop pedal and it I use it to build rythmic and ambient loops with my Boss GT-8. The GT-8 gives me some great monophonic synth sounds. I will be experimenting more when my Steve Ryder EM-54 arrives - I will be having fun using it with the Roland VG-8EX which I just picked up off ebay. The Boss RC-20 is also useful for conventional mando practice; it's so easy to lay down a chordal backing loop and play melody, or solo over it. This is more like the way Andrew Hendryx uses looping.

Have fun!

I've used a Boomerrang to do some mando layering stuff on solo gigs.....

It's pretty easy to do and kinda fun...

You can also do backwards solos with that pedal...
    The solo to "I'm Only Sleeping" for instance.....

Im lupid...but I like it! I use words that don't mean nuttin...
    Look up (to see whats comin down)