Thread: Where do you buy classical mando music?

I don't need a synthesizer to play it back for me and I don't need tablature. I just want good Mandolin sheet music. I don't mind buying it online, but I like professionally printed music. Where do you buy sheet music?

Also, as someone with a classical violin background looking to play some popular classis on mandolin (nothing too esoteric) what would you suggest? Thanks

Hi, well my friends in the USA can help you more on sheet music actually for sale in USA. If you want a nice "sampler book" there is a Mel Bay book (I'll probably get shot for saying this) called Mandolin Classics pr something similar but it has Vivaldi and Hummel and some Bach I think and a few other bits in it. A nice taster selection to get you started. Its not the greatest edition in the world and the piano/accompaniments are missing but nice to just play through and get to know some repertoire from. Then, when you fancy something else you can get just about all mandolin sheet music from: Trekel in Germany. Or try out the company I am mandolin editor for: Astute Music in the UK. Also I don't know if there is a USA equivelent but the web based UK company:Musicroom sell just an amazing selection of mandolin sheet music from across Europe.
    I hope that helps
    Ali

I have links to the primary mandolin publishers here. Most are in Germany, Italy, the US and the UK.

Many of us in the US buy from Trekel. I have found some imported mandolin music at Joseph Patelson Music House in New York. I bought the urtext Henle edition of the Beethoven sonatinas there plus a number of other German published pieces, tho the selection is hit or miss.

John Craton's Wolfhead Music has a number of interesting professionally printed pieces, including some of his own and some of Victor Kioulaphides'. Actually Victor has published a few of his arrangements for mandolin as wellas some of his own wonderful pieces.

Neil Gladd is also working on getting some of his and his edited pieces in print or back in print.

John Goodin also has some pieces scanned at his site. (Oops! you said you didn't want scanned music! Sorry!)

The last four mentioned folks are part of this section of the Cafe.

Jim

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Thank you.

sheetmusicplus.com has a variety of mando sheet music books and individual pages.
    The individual pages are quite expensive and you are better to find the books.
    sheetmusic plus catalog

or musicroom.com UK

Musicroom.com catalog

activemusician.com

Activemusician.com catalog

Finally the list of publishers at classical.net

classical.net catalog of publishers

Elderly instruments also has a small but good selection of music:
    http://www.elderly.com/books/cats/253.html

And my all-time favorite music book, the Bach partitas and sonatas for solo violin. The Dover books edition from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Works-V....0779214

John G.

I don't know that it is classical, but given its age this auction might be of interest to someone here.
    Bill Snyder

I just found this link to some sheet music I assume arranged by members of the Modern Mandolin Quartet.

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I decided yesterday to stimulate the mandolin economy, so I ordered a pile of music from 3 different publishers:

Bärenreiter
    Krenek, Ernst - Suite for mandolin and guitar

Edition 49
    Cordero, Ernesto - Concertino Tropical for violin (or mandolin) and string orchestra
    Freudenthal, Otto - Variationen über "Morgen kommt der Weihnachtsmann" (1992) [Mand, Voice]
    Freudenthal, Otto - Sommerlied aus Darlana(1991) [Mand, Vla, Voice]
    Freudenthal, Otto - Ich seh in Deine Augen(1991) [Mand, Vla, Voice]

Wolfhead Music
    Dalton, Jim - Gifts of the Bard [solo Mand]
    Kioulaphides, Victor - Rhapsody [Mand, Pno]
    Biber - Passacaglia [Solo Vn]

Will report back when I've gotten it all!

Hey Neil,
    What about Astute MusicI know we're not US based but we have very reasonable postage rates, we're very efficient and publish all kinds of stuff.......
    ALI #

Ali,

I haven't forgotten you, but I couldn't afford to buy EVERYTHING I wanted all at the same time! There is still a lot that I want to buy from Italy, too, so maybe in the next batch!