Page 4 of 39 FirstFirst 1234567829 ... LastLast

Thread: More ebay emandos

Uhhnnghhhh...4am...still wired.. must.. keep.. surfing..

Black and orange stray cat sittin' on a fence...

Good Lord!

Blue Kingston

First one of these I've seen that wasn't a standard sunburst. Weird, eh? Ya think someone gave it a custom finish job?
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

I'm in! Who are they kidding? People pay EXTRA for that stripped neck look!

Good luck. That actually looks like a fun li'l guy.
    Zeke Griffin
    Mandolooney at large
    Purveyor of old motorcycles, mandolins and sailboats

Oh well, so much for that. Now I must not look again, lest I turn into a pillar of salt.

Is there a "talent" knob? Christian McKee's Avatar

Wow indeed! That's SWEET! If I wasn't in the process of buying one of those inherently inferior "acoustic" mandolins, I might be all over that...

Christian
    Christian McKee

Member, The Big North Duo
    Musical Director, The Oregon Mandolin Orchestra

That five-string looks very nice. Is this a new builder?
    http://www.sojournerrecords.net
    Check out the Michael Lampert Schwab Mandolin

The 5-string builder is one Mike Atkinson. Very nice-lookin' stuff on his Web page.

But what if I were to tell people that you, Michael Lampert, were interested in a 5-string?

I don't know anything about the Snodgrass mandola yet. The bridge sure doesn't look like it belongs where it is -- reminds one of the Gibson F12.

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

My EMAS is out of control. That thing's gotta be better than a Shamax. Don't think I'll stand a chance against sniping programs, though. Oh well. If that happens I'll take that as a sign from above to curb my mando-spending (I'm seriously thinking of a Godin A8 too, but for obviously different music).

Just checkin' it out- (my new 5-string is in the mail as we speak)!!!

Mike A. is another engineer getting his luthier-feet wet. He told me the starting bid on his 5-string is the total cost of materials; he wants to get a couple of instruments into the hands of players cheaply and get their appraisal before he starts selling instruments in earnest.

So, Darrell, if that 5-string comes your way, you will be so good as to write a review for me and Mike.

And remember, my Bacorn was only about 20 bucks more than this thing is now ... so it might not go higher.

Wow -- Michael L. takes the plunge. I assume Kevin built it? -- a 5-string version of the Signature model?

I know it's not electric, but the Mike Atkinson "classical" model on his website is really attractive.

Yes-exactly. A five-string signature model..I've had some very 'low' ideas lately.

Looks like a wacko 8-string octave/4-string standard doubleneck with P-90 guitar pickups ...

Wicked!

Any clues as to the maker?

Whoa! Those headstocks look vaguely Martinesque. (I personally would've loved to have seen more electrics from those guys..)

OTOH, the laminated body on that doubleneck... I don't know... I think I played basketball on something like that in High School.

ps eBay snipers suck.

Aw, cripes ... I'm sorry about the snipers. I was rooting for you all the way, man...

That's OK, I viewed the situation as an opportunity... I used the funds to buy an Ovation mandocello I was also watching on eBay. Wish me luck; I've never trusted eBay/Paypal with a purchase this big before.. It wasn't exactly a steal of a price (I've been in auctions where they've gone for much less) but it looks good and I was swayed by the fact the buyer had a brick and mortar store.. Anyone have any experiences with Bunnybass.com? That's the seller. If anyone knows if these guys are scammers please LMK ASAP. <paranoid>

I've been jonesing for one of these for quite awhile, and when this one came up with a reasonable price I jumped.

Ah who am I kidding.. Purely "jilted lover syndrome" at it's worst!

Darrell

Just did some more browsing around Bunnybass.com (you can check out the emandocello there, I used BIN for $1K). Gotta love the comprehesive Girls on Guitar page.

I never knew how small Kim Gordon was! Check her out, struggling to play a (rare, 2 pickup) Mandobird. Wow!

If it weren't entirely sexist I would start a "Girls on Emando" page. Martie Seidel, Carmella Ramsey, Pony West, Rachel Clayton, Deni Bonet, J'anna Jacoby ...

You could do worse.

Did a little more digging.. Bunnybass was actually co-founded by a woman, and the "chicks on guitar" page started out as a response to Ed Roman's guitar site. This made me feel good about my purchase, as somehow I feel safer giving my $ to a woman (character flaw?).

But then I found out sometime in 2004 the site was bought by some dude in North Carolina. He just left all the content up there, and evidently sells the instruments too... I dunno, does that sound fishy to anyone else? I really don't want to throw my mandocello money into a deep dark digital hole (and the eBay fraud thread is freaking me out). Will paying via PayPal+CC help in the event this guy doesn't really exist? I mean, at one point, Bunnybass had a showroom you could visit in New York.. Now, everything is supposedly in NC..

Sorry if this is too off-topic. But I could use some advice from veteran eBayers.

Darrell

I've always used Paypal and a credit card, and tried to time it so that the credit card was early in the billing cycle, so the bill wouldn't have to be paid before the goods showed up, and you could dispute the purchase while it was still 'fresh'. #Tht being said, I've never had a problem with an ebay transaction, and I've blown plenty o' cash on emandos there. #Whether the guy is bricks and mortar or not doesn't even enter into the equation for me. #Has his Ebay name been hijacked? And does he have good feedback? #Those are the two questions. #Does anyone really exist? #
    I didn't bid on that purty 5-string, but I wanted to. #The burl looked cool. #I wonder how it plays?
    Forget with the cowbell, already...

Bunny is cool

When I was running the Bassguitarist.com website she was a great supporter... she pinted hundreds of people my way. She's great at sourcing good basses and reselling them for a small and honest profit... that;s if it is actually Bunny still involved with the website. I'd dig a bit deeper.

Rob

Rob - Jupiter Creek Music - Australia