Page 37 of 39 FirstFirst ... 1233343536373839 LastLast

Thread: More ebay emandos

Quote Originally Posted by (delsbrother @ Mar. 13 2008, 15:41)
    Well, I wouldn't mind if my Mandobird looked like this:

Of course I don't think they make that dress in my size...
    You are probably correct about that, as that is a mandobird; KT Tunstall just happens to be exceptionally short -- which means the dress size must be something like 4T

"The problem with quotes on the internet, is everybody has one, and most of them are wrong."
    ~ Mark Twain

Mandolin shirts, hats, case stickers, & more at my Zazzle storefront

Gordon Smith on eBay UK

Hey, while I'm at it, is there such a thing as eBay Japan, or not? Anyone? Link?

All I can find is stuff like this, which doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

Oh, and then there's this:

Almost ripe...

Looks like the Alden Mandocasters have finally arrived in the US, this one in transluscent blue.
    "The problem with quotes on the internet, is everybody has one, and most of them are wrong."
    ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by (mrmando @ Feb. 28 2008, 12:37)
    Here's a Ross Teigen e-mando. Love the design, especially the F-holes through the body, like those old Ampeg basses.
    The Teigen is up again.

Quote Originally Posted by (jefflester @ Mar. 27 2008, 17:26)
    Do you think this is THE Kenny Blackwell?

SoCal mandolinist; studied with Jethro Burns; has played with Richard Greene and the Laurel Canyon Ramblers. Plays a dark-finish Flatiron with block inlays. Looks like Sam Bush's evil twin.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Quote Originally Posted by (mrmando @ Mar. 27 2008, 23:31)
    Quote Originally Posted by (jefflester @ Mar. 27 2008, 17:26)
    Do you think this is THE Kenny Blackwell?

SoCal mandolinist; studied with Jethro Burns; has played with Richard Greene and the Laurel Canyon Ramblers. Plays a dark-finish Flatiron with block inlays. Looks like Sam Bush's evil twin.
    Very well could be, he's worked repairs at the Blue Ridge Pickin' Parlor in the Valley for years (I don't know if he still does).

I found this reference from '98, which just so happens to be a promo for the concert where I first saw Nickel Creek.

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/WHERE+T....3833585

A 12-string <a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/Hammertone-Electric-Mando-Mandolin_W0QQitemZ200211731577QQihZ010QQcategoryZ1 0179QQssPageNa
    meZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem" target="_blank">Hammertone</a>...

Martin -- looks like you are getting closer to owning that refinished "Cherry Electric", as the opening price just dropped again to $1200 in its most recent listing...

~ Mark Twain

Is there a "talent" knob? Christian McKee's Avatar

I once heard Buddy Miller play an instrument much like that Hammertone while backing Shawn Colvin. He's a guy who knows how to get really purely beautiful sounds out of an electric instrument. It was *gorgeous*.

Christian
    Christian McKee

Member, The Big North Duo
    Musical Director, The Oregon Mandolin Orchestra

Quote Originally Posted by (jimmacd @ April 08 2008, 12:23)
    Martin -- looks like you are getting closer to owning that refinished "Cherry Electric", as the opening price just dropped again to $1200 in its most recent listing...
    Yes, it's tempting, isn't it? I would happily give up the seafoam green FM-984 in exchange for this one.

P.S. Closed at $1200 with no bids ... come on, man, just a little lower ... or how about saving yourself some listing fees? Do a real auction and start it at a buck.

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

This post will cement my place in emando geekery (as if it was ever in doubt), so bear with me. Believe it or not, I've actually done research on this!

I used to think that that shape was unique to BC Rich Pentasystem models, but after delving deeper into BC Rich fan sites (!) I learned these instruments were based on an existing body shape called the <span style='color:red'>Ignitor:</span>

I think these were offered in 6 and 7 string versions; both in neck-thru ("Made in the USA") and bolt-on ("Imports"). The two BC Rich Pentasystem instruments I've seen in person had (massive) bolt on neck joints, so I thought if I could just find a bolt-on Ignitor in a pawn shop I would be a neck away from Pentasystem glory (plus I'd get things like "better" pickups, electronics, trem, etc.).

Unfortunately even metalheads thought Ignitors were ugly (and of course, they thought Pentasystem was stupid), so while there are slightly more Ignitors out there to be had, they are still very rare. Those that do exist are considered a curiosity by BC Rich fans, so they're usually snapped up by collectors.

BTW, for those willing to wait, you can still custom order an Ignitor from the BC Rich Custom Shop - prices start at $2799 (the one pictured is well north of $3K with options). Unfortunately, they won't make them with Pentasystem necks anymore (I asked).

Now after all that... That Pentabass is cool! There are a bunch of BC Rich fans who lust after an Ignitor Bass, and that's not a bad price, considering how much the custom shop charges.

I've just thrown a bid at this, but didn't hit the reserve, so if anybody else wants to have a go in the next two hours, be my guest:

Tony Revel Rickenbacker bodyshape

Martin

Is there a "talent" knob? Christian McKee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by (martinjonas @ May 20 2008, 16:15)
    I've just thrown a bid at this, but didn't hit the reserve, so if anybody else wants to have a go in the next two hours, be my guest:

Tony Revel Rickenbacker bodyshape
    It's lovely, but considering the seller's reluctance to post, 'standing a little petrol money' to the USA would be a bit out of my reach

Christian
    Christian McKee

Member, The Big North Duo
    Musical Director, The Oregon Mandolin Orchestra

Well, Martin (Jonas), would you be willing to pick this up and post it if one of us crazy Yanks were to buy it?

Wow! Adding the pic for preservation porpoises.

Shropshire is a long ways away from the few people I know in the UK, but looks to be relatively close to martinjonas.

Grr. Outbid at the last second. Reserve was 375 pounds and it sold at 411. That's dirt cheap. If I were selling it in the States I would be asking $2,000.

Quote Originally Posted by (mrmando @ May 20 2008, 16:31)
    Well, Martin (Jonas), would you be willing to pick this up and post it if one of us crazy Yanks were to buy it?
    Didn't see that in time -- I've only just come back to my computer with the auction already over. The seller is about 50 miles from me, so I would have taken up his offer of petrol money.

I also agree with (the other) Martin that the winning bid is dirt cheap, and maybe if I'd known the reserve was only 20 Pounds above my bid I would have upped a bit. That I didn't isn't because I thought it wasn't worth it, but because it would have been a bit of an indulgence for me to buy it. Although I haven't heard it, it seems to me fairly similar to my Amazing in concept and pickup configuration. The Revel probably has wider tonal variety and more professionally conceived electrics, but while both are sharp-looking, I personally think the Amazing is even sleeker than the Revel.

So, well-done to the lucky winner and I hope he has a great time with it!

Martin

Hadn't seen one of these doublenecks #before, but then again I don't get this far afield often...

Working my way West...

There's got to be an interesting story behind this aluminIum-necked SG

Finally, a neat rhino-horned Eccleshall.

I've been looking at that Eccleshall and may well throw a bid at it, if it stays low. Let's see. Somewhat peculiar configuration of the polepieces: six polepieces in two bunches of three for an eight-string?

Martin

Blog Entries

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/Jonathan-Mann-acoustic-electric-Mandolin_W0QQitemZ140235665675QQihZ004QQcategoryZ1 0179QQss
    PageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem" target="_blank">I'm in love!!</a>

http://www.youtube.com/user/tenorbanjoguy

"Gettin' by" with the imports!

Quote Originally Posted by (delsbrother @ May 23 2008, 23:37)
    Hadn't seen one of these doublenecks #before, but then again I don't get this far afield often...
    The mandolin neck's headstock looks a little like a Carvin headstock -- any chance this was made in the same factory?
    ~ Mark Twain

You mean the same factory that's making these things?

I guess maybe. How do you say "Tennessee" in Italian?

You know, those other mandolin-guitar doublenecks* look more like actual Carvins, but they haven't exactly gotten favorable reviews.

Back in the day (ehrm, the '70s) you could actually buy Carvin mando necks and pickups from them (they were the forerunner of the kit-supply house). Those are the only parts that are difficult to make nowadays. I wonder what happened to all of those parts!

*BTW the US importer I linked to above is famous for finding images of instruments on the Internet (e.g. Joel Eckhaus' Earnest, Mike Doolin's Harp Guitars) and sending them off (without licensing) to Asia for mass (re)production. So while I show those images for your amusement, I'm not actually recommending you buy from them...