Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 123456728 ... LastLast

Thread: More ebay emandos

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10179&item=3741571 004

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10179&item=3740987 580&rd=1

Dude, it's not that hard to figure out how to post a link.

That's an Alan Gerrell mandolin -- I see he's making excuses about his instruments being "not perfect like a mandolin from a factory."

Um ... so his handmade instruments aren't up to the standards of a factory instrument.

I think that says it all.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

The Gordon Smith looks intriguing. #The only thing I don't like is the bridge, which is non-adjustable for intonation. #If it could be had cheaply enough it would be worth having a good luthier replace it with something decent.

I notice that is a relist, and the original selling price was over $900. That seems pretty high, considering the quality of the finish and hardware.

Mitch Lawyer

Collings MF5V, Schwab #101 5 string
    1918 Gibson A, 1937 Gibson T-50 tenor guitar
    Jones OM, Hums bowlback

Hi mrmando

If I'd been able to buy a Mandobird here in Australia I'd never have even started making my mandos. Mine are nowhere near factory standard... if your main criterion is the finish. Watch people go into a music shop and watch them as they look at instruments. They look for the style of instrument that they're interested in, then maybe take it off the wall (or hopefully ask first!) and then they look at the finish. If the grain is filled and even and suitably polished and shiny they show interest. With luck they might even ask to play it, but the first thing they look at is the finish. Fit is important (but less so). They'll have a bit of a strum or noodle, but if the finish is less than factory perfect it won't even be considered.

Of course some people look briefly at the instrument, then play it, and then finally look more closely at the finish and the name on the headstock. Those people are called musicians.

Things like solidbody electric mandolins are a niche market, especially outside of the US. If the builder is open and honest about the quality of their instruments and prices them to what they're honestly worth then I think everyone goes in with their eyes open and ends up happy.

I'm concentrating on making a playable instrument that won't let the buyer down, and at this stage my emandos are brushcoated with clear polyurethane. At some stage I'll invest the time and money into spray and polishing equipment and learning how to use it, but I don't want to put the cart before the horse.

Having said all that it is nice if the screw holes line up, body and neck shaping is consistent, and the tuners are installed the right way around! ;-)

Rob
    Rob - Jupiter Creek Music - Australia

Rob, it wasn't the finish, per se, for which the excuses were being made. (Goodness knows I've owned my share of crudely finished instruments.) And the remarks about the mandolin in question did not address the finish, but the choice of wood, setup, playability, and intonation -- things that musicians look for.

Quote Originally Posted by (mandocaster @ Sep. 29 2004, 01:22)
    The Gordon Smith looks intriguing. The only thing I don't like is the bridge, which is non-adjustable for intonation. If it could be had cheaply enough it would be worth having a good luthier replace it with something decent.

I notice that is a relist, and the original selling price was over $900. That seems pretty high, considering the quality of the finish and hardware.
    Well, the ad does say that the instrument's a second because the finish is crazed. Which isn't really a problem, considering that one must be crazed in order to want to play an electric mandolin.

High price on the previous listing probably had something to do with the brand name. It's supposedly a premium brand in the UK (I wouldn't know)--although if you hit the Gordon-Smith Web site it doesn't acknowledge that they've ever built an e-mando.

If Prince (that is, Prince, the artist formerly known as The Artist Formerly Known as Prince) were to shop for an e-mando, he'd surely like the look of the bass horn on that Gordon-Smith.

Eh, I should've checked this thread earlier; I would've sent 150 clams to Poland just for the thrill of owning a Defil. Would that make me a Defiler? Oh well, I'd rather grow up to be a Debaser anyway.

And one more...

Didn't realize Dave Schneider was getting that much for his mandolins. Anyone played one?

And then there's this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....47&rd=1

To quote from another recent thread, truly bizarre and words fail me. And it's only a 3-day auction.
    Peter Klima (not the hockey player)

I'm IN! And I DARE any sniper to take me out. You gotta love the big knot right in the middle of the top. Who knew #2 pine would work as a tonewood?

BTW the tenor is prettier.

Those are the creation of one Tho X. Bui -- he's an engineer or something with a penchant for building stuff: bicycles, tables, chairs, violins ... and now THESE. I think he may be the next Steve Wishnevsky.

I'm in on both of them, not that I really expect to win. Not sure how I'd explain those axes to the wife.

I think you need this one more than me - good luck!

I'm feeling powerful, powerful enough to conquer something, and when I feel that way there is nothing better than playing a freaky Japanese electric mandolin.

Conqueror on EBAY
    Mitch Lawyer

Collings MF5V, Schwab #101 5 string
    1918 Gibson A, 1937 Gibson T-50 tenor guitar
    Jones OM, Hums bowlback

Ah, the mighty Conqueror. Under how many brand names were those freaky Japanese mandos sold? Only Playerof8 knows for sure, and he ain't tellin'.

As if it wasn't confounding enough when it was listed for a dollar, that doubleneck sold for about twenty times for what I figured it'd be worth! There's apparently some demand for doubleneck e-mandos... four different people bid over $200.
    Peter Klima (not the hockey player)

EM200 for $3,300 on eBay.

Someone's dreamin'.

And here is a nice little no-name Japanese job resembling a San Remo.

The Schneider is back for $200 less. Interesting how in the first ad, 75% of the seller's equipment had been stolen and now it's 90%.

Nothing like a good no-reserve Mandocaster auction to test the market...

And I love the look of Rob's Breadwinner e-mando, martinets notwithstanding.

THO STRIKES AGAIN!

Hog-wild e-mando ... gotta love it!

Is it me or is there more creativity coming from mando builders than guitar builders? I've never seen a guitar that when you play it you are also strangling some poor hog. Choking a chicken, sure, but never strangling a hog.
    Forget with the cowbell, already...

Looks like the Ryder 8-string Tele style that was in the classifieds is now up at Ebay:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....60&rd=1

I must say, I like the new colors.

And you can't discount the effect of demented pickups.

But I don't trust any seller who doesn't own a bulldog.