Page 28 of 39 FirstFirst ... 3242526272829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: More ebay emandos

Quote Originally Posted by (mrmando @ July 28 2007, 12:43)
    Hardly anything is one-of-a-kind except the Beswick, and who knows? Another of those might turn up someday.
    True enough -- thanks to the internet, one-of-a-kind status for anything interesting is likely to be short-lived. (However, on opccassion we've all seen some b*tt-ugly handmade instruments on eBay, that are unlikely to be copied by anyone else.
    "The problem with quotes on the internet, is everybody has one, and most of them are wrong."
    ~ Mark Twain

Mandolin shirts, hats, case stickers, & more at my Zazzle storefront

Quote Originally Posted by (jimmacd @ July 28 2007, 16:29)
    (However, on opccassion we've all seen some b*tt-ugly handmade instruments on eBay, that are unlikely to be copied by anyone else.
    Except by the guy who made the first one!
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Quote Originally Posted by (mrmando @ July 28 2007, 15:43)
    What's the red thing on the Elk photo?
    I suspect it might be a backstage pass -- from the Elk web site I gather that this was an early prototype which the band signed for the maker when he visited them backstage after a gig on their "unplugged" tour, where they were playing it. The versions currently on sale (at the Ebay link in my previous message) look rather sleeker. He also refers to "lots of hidden secrets inside the body", whatever that means (maybe a resonator of some kind). It's also designed to be alternatively played standing up like a guitar or mandola, or flat on a table like a dulcimer or zither.

Martin

So Martin, did you catch the maker's real name? When these instruments first appeared on eBay, they were credited to Joe Buckler and Stewart Bilcock:

http://www.emando.com/builders/Buckler_Bilcock.htm

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

A man of many names, clearly. The e-mails I got were sent from an e-mail adress starting with "cassandraelk@...", had "Joe Buckler" in the "From:" field and were signed by "Stuart Bilcock". Subsequent e-mails were signed "Stu". I think Bilcock is the actual maker: his name appears in the postal address given by Ebay and, probably more reliably, as the responsible person in the legalese disclaimer on the Elk web page (under German law, all web page owners are well-advised to have a disclaimer like this with the address of a traceable real person). Everything on the web page and the Ebay listing is written in the singular "I", not plural "we", so I think there's only one actual builder. No idea where the name "Joe Buckler" fits in. Maybe another pseudonym just like "Cassandra Elk".

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by (mrmando @ July 28 2007, 15:43)
    Obviously Ingo Hampf of S2S deserves a page on emando.com. I already have a page for his Kreuchwig tripleneck...
    Looks like he plays that Kreuchwig tripleneck in this clip. Some nice close-ups. Quite a beast!

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by (mrmando @ July 28 2007, 14:16)
    Quote Originally Posted by (jimmacd @ July 28 2007, 16:29)
    (However, on opccassion we've all seen some b*tt-ugly handmade instruments on eBay, that are unlikely to be copied by anyone else.
    Except by the guy who made the first one!
    LOL!
    "The problem with quotes on the internet, is everybody has one, and most of them are wrong."
    ~ Mark Twain

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/FRAMUS-ACOUSTIC-ELECTRIC-MANDOLIN-W-CASE-STRINGS-COOL_W0QQitemZ250149176163QQcmdZViewItem?
    hash=item250149176163" target="_blank">Another Framus Catseye.</a>

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-KENT-ELECTRIC-MANDOLIN-1960S-VERY-KOOL_W0QQitemZ200136700613QQihZ010QQcategoryZ101

79QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem" target="_blank">60"s Kent</a>

All right, which one of you turkeys outbid me on the Kent?

That would look nice next to Blondie.

Not me. That looks just like mine, tho. Wait a minute, better check under my bed...

Ooooooh... a minty fresh '56 Mandocaster.

A certain dealer has one of these that isn't nearly this nice, and wants more than this for it. I'm just sayin'.

Also a cool '58 burst in good shape, but unfortunately caseless.

Chief Moderator/Shepherd Ted Eschliman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Intriguing: <a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/Jazz-Mandola-Prototype-Benedetto-jazz-pickup-case_W0QQitemZ160146051325QQihZ006QQcategoryZ
    10179QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem" target="_blank">Jazz Mandola Prototype</a>.
    Ted Eschliman

Author, Getting Into Jazz Mandolin

They saw you coming, Ted!
    Less talk, more pick.

Well, I finally slew the E-MAS dragon with this St. George.

The last one to sell had a busted headstock and the electronics were toast, and it went for more than this!

Someone's listed one a couple of times starting at $500, and of course it didn't get any bids.

Congrats on the St. George, mrmando. I thought seriously about bidding on it, but then decided to pay the rent. Another foolish decision.
    I saw 4 mandocasters on the wall of a huge guitar store here in Chicago last week. They had a 50's one that looks just like the one on Ebay. They were asking $7000. I held it in my hands. It didn't feel like $7000.
    Forget with the cowbell, already...

Did it feel like $3198?
    ~ Mark Twain

The morgan monroe dola is sweet looking, except for the headstock that says Morgan Monroe, and isnt the headstock backwards(big scroll on bass side)?? weird.

Quote Originally Posted by (jimmacd @ Aug. 11 2007, 10:10)
    Did it feel like $3198? #
    Correction: did it feel like $2,799? (The price dropped on the eBay blonde
    ~ Mark Twain

Alex Gregory, who's a bit of a fanatic about Mandocasters, says the '58s and '59s are more desirable. I guess those are the only two years where you get a contour body and a maple neck. Apparently the slab-body instruments, like the blonde on eBay, aren't as comfortable to play.

I think it was either a '56 or a '58. Old strings, out of tune, looks like the one that is now $2799 on Ebay, except it is more 'distressed'. I tried to tune it, and the neck was maple and chunky, for lack of a better word. Thick and rounded. It has that vintage mojo, which is worth it for some people, but maybe not so much for me. I think a vintage mandocaster probably won't sell for $2800, but I've been wrong before. Ask anyone...

And, of course, somebody bought it for $2799 after my last post. If it's a cafe member, post a review. That's the most I've seen a mandocaster go for.

Well, St. George galloped up to my door today.

The seller had simply wrapped the case in bubble wrap, taped some butcher paper around that, and taken it to the post office. He did make a halfhearted attempt to cushion the headstock by sticking an old FedEx bubble mailer around it. But there was still plenty of room for the headstock to move around in the case. The bubble mailer did a nice job of catching the headstock scroll when it broke off.

Note: This is after I sent the seller a link to Frank Ford's page on packing guitars for shipment, which he completely ignored.

No insurance tag on the package, but it wouldn't matter, because this is 100% the seller's fault. Dang. That's two instruments shipped to me in a week with damage (the other one is obviously the result of rough handling by UPS, and we already have a claim going).

What would you guys do, in my shoes?

Wow, what a shame. Personally I'd ask for a refund and send it back. Or ask for money back from them for the repair. But if s/he was so clueless before I don't know how they'd respond. If you like it (and you say you're happy with the price) then I'd say glue it back on and give them negative feedback. If you used PayPal I think there's a way to get a little money back, but I'm not sure if you have to give up the mando.

That's a bummer, and I'm with DB on this: I would work with the seller for a refund if you want to return it, or for a partial refund to cover repairs if you want to keep it -- and escalate to Paypal and eBay if the seller is uncooperative. (Note: from previous experience, even if it was shipped insured, there is a risk that the shipper might not honor the insurance claim due to the ###### job of packing the instrument.)

~ Mark Twain