Thread: J L Smith

Default J L Smith

Just got my new JL Smith 4 string yesterday, and all I can say is that it's awesome. Besides being a beautifully made instrument, it is very easy to play, is solid like an electric guitar(with oodles of sustain), and it plainly kicks ###. I will give a full review after I've had a chance to play with it for awhile. I've got a gig tonight at a brew pub, and plan to give it a public debut.
    Chief. Way up North. Gibson 1917 A model with pickup. JL Smith 5 string electric. 1929 National Triolian resonator mandolin with pickup. National RM 1 with pickup. Ovation Applause. Fender FM- 60 E 5 string electric (with juiced pickups). 1950's Gibson EM-200 electric mandolin. 1954 Gibson EM-150 electric mandolin. Custom made "Jett Pink" 5 string electric- Bo Diddley slab style. Jay Roberts Tiny Moore model 5 string electric.

Blog Entries

Default Re: J L Smith

As a committed lover of the Telecaster body shape, I'm strongly considering a J.L. Smith 4 string as my first e-mando.

I thought I'd bump this thread in the hopes of getting some reviews and comments.
    Chief, do you still have/like yours?

After seeing Jeff Bird perform with the Cowboy Junkies on Fallon last week I have a renewed need to rock-out......

As I was watching those great clips, I realized that my Line 6 Spider III 75 has been dormant for almost a year...That's just not right...Things have been too quite around here! Time to let the wolf run some...
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Wow Ed, you really dug one out of the past. I actually wrote a review of the Smith shortly thereafter- and it appears on the Emando website. I kept the 4 string for awhile, and then got seriously into 5 strings, and had John build me a 5 string. I sold the 4 string. Once you play a fiver, you won't go back to 4. I've played many different electric mandolins- many of the top names- and owned quite a few, and my JL Smith is the one I've stuck with and play every gig. You can't go wrong with a JL Smith. And John is great to work with. He'll bring out your inner rock star!
    Chief. Way up North. Gibson 1917 A model with pickup. JL Smith 5 string electric. 1929 National Triolian resonator mandolin with pickup. National RM 1 with pickup. Ovation Applause. Fender FM- 60 E 5 string electric (with juiced pickups). 1950's Gibson EM-200 electric mandolin. 1954 Gibson EM-150 electric mandolin. Custom made "Jett Pink" 5 string electric- Bo Diddley slab style. Jay Roberts Tiny Moore model 5 string electric.

Blog Entries

On a 5 string, I assume one mostly uses the C string for leads and melodies?
    I would guess that on a 5 string, one would just chord using the first 4 strings?
    Although, now that I think about it, I suppose one could just blast away on the 5th string open when playing C, Cm, C7, F, Fm, F7, D7, or Am (I bet this sounds excellent!) on the other strings.
    Still being so new to mandolin I think I want to avoid muddying the waters now and stick with a 4 string.
    Think Hippie Thoughts...

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Goist View Post
    On a 5 string, I assume one mostly uses the C string for leads and melodies?
    I would guess that on a 5 string, one would just chord using the first 4 strings?
    for me i use the c string in chording most of the time though i do occasionally wrap my thumb around to deaden the c string to get that mandolin sound ,when i think it suits the music . as far as soloing or melody i do use it but its more common for me to play at a higher position to get above the band sonic-ally . its really about what the song needs and where i can find it on the mando .

let us know when you get your electric 4 string and tell us what it is and how your liking it . i found the transition to 5 string took me a long time as i received my fender back while i was still cutting my teeth musically so the 4 string is probably a good choice . had my fender 5 string quite a while before getting seriously into it and it was not until after playing electric 4 string for few years first

Blog Entries

Thanks so much Rico. Will do. Hoping to make a decision within the next couple of day.
    I was hoping to sell my Strat first...But I'm not getting any younger
    While driving home from work today the obvious dawned on my...With a five string all one would need to do is use the four lowest strings and play mandola chords.
    It's much easier to not play the high string than not play the low string when chording...
    Thanks for your comments on my choice to stick with a 4 strings to begin with...Nice reassurance.
    Getting yet another mandolin...My wife (justifiably) thinks I'm an absolute nut!
    Think Hippie Thoughts...

well 42245 is a nice A chord 22455 is a nice D chord (and the minor is easy too 422355/22355)
    though 44224 is a bit difficult for an E but 2455X is a good G