Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 143536373839

Thread: More ebay emandos

Any comments on the StewMac? Are they kit mandos? If so, this one looks like it was was well built. Not sure about the starting price...
    Johneeaaddgg

Hi John. I don't think this one's a kit mando. It has the headstock decal and is probably one of the ones built by Don MacRostie and sold through StewMac as a completed instrument. These are rare; the price back in the mid-80s was $500-600 IIRC; and it has the Parsons-White string bender; so I don't think the asking price of $900 is out of whack at all. I haven't encountered more than 2 or 3 of these in the whole time I've been chasing electric mandolins.

I had one of the kit StewMacs in stock for a while (no bender, no sunburst, no decal) and sold it for $600. The one on eBay is a significant upgrade from that.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Quote Originally Posted by (mrmando @ June 13 2008, 14:57)
    Hi John. I don't think this one's a kit mando. It has the headstock decal and is probably one of the ones built by Don MacRostie and sold through StewMac as a completed instrument. These are rare; the price back in the mid-80s was $500-600 IIRC; and it has the Parsons-White string bender; so I don't think the asking price of $900 is out of whack at all. I haven't encountered more than 2 or 3 of these in the whole time I've been chasing electric mandolins.

I had one of the kit StewMacs in stock for a while (no bender, no sunburst, no decal) and sold it for $600. The one on eBay is a significant upgrade from that.
    Thanks for the info.! I didn't know StewMac sold completed instruments. I guess that is why I hang out here - love to learn.

The bender looks interesting - what do you know about that? Has anyone else built a mando with the bender? Is it hard to use? Is it even useful?
    Johneeaaddgg

This one looks interesting, a 1986 from Jeff Harrison of Unicorn, despite the out-of-focus listing photos. Is anyone familiar with his e-mando work? Impressions?

Nice birdseye.

Adding picture for posterity.

Blog Entries

Default Re: More ebay emandos

Ted and I had a discussion about this thread and decided to close it and to have these posted in the future in a more current thread in the eBay section. In the process I moved some of the more recent posts into the other one so the are no longer a part of this older thread.