Thread: truss rod adjustment and fret buzz

Blog Entries

Default truss rod adjustment and fret buzz

is there a way to know for sure if truss rod adjustment is needed? any way to measure the neck or something? just in case i need it, or for the future.

also, i am getting a very slight fret buzz on the g string (from the first fret i think), although it is at the same height as the other strings. should i adjust the string height at the bridge slightly, or what?
    Diego

Eastman MD315
    Kentucky KM505
    JBovier ELS
    ---
    Ivan Dunov VL402 Violin

Default Re: truss rod adjustment and fret buzz

If you are unsure, even after sighting down the edge of the fretboard than it's a good idea of having a professional take a look at it. Buzzes can come from multiple things, not just a neck that needs trussrod adjustment.

Though if you sight down the neck you should be able to atleast tell if there is enough or if any relief. You can also use a small metal (6" or less) straight edge to check to see if any of the frets, or fretends are higher than others. Being that is it winter and dry, it is common for fretboard to dry out and a fret will slightly pull out.

Blog Entries

well, where i live (PR) there are basically no seasons, and it's pretty humid all hear round, so i doubt it's that and thanks for the tips. The thing is, I can't really find anything wrong with the string or the frets, but i'm still hearing that slight buzzing.
    Diego

Eastman MD315
    Kentucky KM505
    JBovier ELS
    ---
    Ivan Dunov VL402 Violin

buy this book or something similar and you will be able to maintain your own instrument . i find that most instruments i buy need to be set up to perform their best and suit my own tastes .http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Books,_p...air_Guide.html

trust me on this

A truss rod adjustment is unlikely to do much at the first fret. If there's no buzzing elsewhere, and you like the action everywhere else on the board, your nut slot may be too low. If you fret at fret 1 and the buzz goes away, try shimming the string up in the slot with a piece of paper. If the extra height also eliminated the buzz, the slot is cut too low. It can be filled and recut. setup work is finicky, but really worthwhile to develop.

If raising the string with the paper doesn't get rid of the buzz, try damping every thing on the mandolin- screws, tuners, tuner bushings, etc., vibrations at one frequency can make something loose vibrate at any spot, and ears are actually not that great at locating it.

Blog Entries

New strings are always the very first place to start. I am always amazed at how worried I get about it when stuff like this happens to me. Then I remember to put a fresh set of strings on. Nine times out of 10, the issues is cured.

Yeah, sometimes it's something as small as a dangling string end vibrating against metal.

Raise the action, is a good place to start. is there a steel straight edge handy?
    You may have a fret slightly taller than another nearby .
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

frets.com offers some very practical troubleshooting advice and can give you something more tangible to check.

There are also some threads on here discussing string height measurements at the 1st and 12th fret, which also give some tangible guidance. I'm impressed with how much my luthier does by "feel," but he admits that it's from years of measuring and tweaking gradually.

The advice to check everything that might rattle/buzz is also good. Given your location (I used to live in Charleston, SC, which is pretty humid year round as well), occasionally brace glue joints can loosen and lead to some difficult to diagnose buzzes...
    Chuck