Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Post your rig!

Default Re: Post your rig

Figured i would upload a picture of my new amp rig and see if we can get this thread going for a little bit again for the new members

its my mesa mini stack , its a bit over kill but i like it
    Last edited by Scott Tichenor; Jul-07-2011 at 8:56pm.

Default Re: Post your rig!

Rico, how are you utilizing the tone-destroyerPRO in your rig?
    Hereby & forthwith, any instrument with an odd number of strings shall be considered broken. With regard to mix levels, usually the best approach is treating the mandolin the same as a cowbell.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Milne View Post
    Rico, how are you utilizing the tone-destroyerPRO in your rig?
    come again ? whats killing my tone ? you will have too fill me in on this one as i have lots of tone killing gear laying around that comes in handy for gigs where good enough is good enough ,especially if its light to carry and gets me from one sound to the next easily .
    Last edited by rico mando; Jul-08-2011 at 1:01am.

What is the beringher unit/ how are you utilizing it?
    Most beringher units are something-something-PRO and generically I have a habit of referring to them as signal-destroyer Pro, a reflection of the opinion of a very wide populace though i adapted the phrase to suit the instrument application... Sorry for the confusion, just wondering what's in your rack and how you're using it.

Your amp/stack sure looks tasty!
    Hereby & forthwith, any instrument with an odd number of strings shall be considered broken. With regard to mix levels, usually the best approach is treating the mandolin the same as a cowbell.

ok now i know what your talking about . the behringer is an EQ and under that is my midi sound generator axon ax-100 .so i use the eq as merely a boost/preamp for the midi signal to the sound man everything else is left flat or off on this eq . the midi runs off peizos in my saddles and my pick ups (emg actives) run to the amp both are separate Independent systems . some of the bass,drum and keyboard sounds from the midi would blow my mesa amp so that is why it goes to the PA.

i bought the eq back when i was trying to fix the sound of my fishman acoustic mandolin saddle pick up . it did not really work and i use a different pick up on my acoustic now (barcus berry magnetic) . never really thought of the eq as a tone sucker , i will have to listen into that . i have other signal boosters but they are not rack mount . the midi is pretty synth sounding so i am not sure if it affects its tone noticeably . my PA is a behringer ,guess i would have to put that up against another PA , works well enough i guess as i use it at home mostly but seemed alright at the local town hall where i volunteer to do sound for benefit shows occasionally .

i know my boss GT-10 is a tone sucker but it has gotten better the more i tweak it ,but it makes the gigs easier . i use up to 3 different effects settings for one song sometimes .for recording i would go for pure amp sound where i could . well thanks for commenting, it is a nice stack
    Last edited by rico mando; Jul-08-2011 at 3:45am. Reason: punctuation

Lawrence Smart F5 mandolin equipped with Schertler transducer > Ernie Ball Volume Pedal > Overdrive (Ibanez Tube Screamer) > Chorus (TC Electronics Chorus/Flange/RingMod) > Phaser (Subdecay Quazar Phaser) > Octave (Boss OC-3) > Reverb (either Alesis Nanoverb or EH Cathedral Reverb - set to Hall) > '86 Mesa Boogie Mark III Amp.

Sometimes I add a vintage Mutron III Envelope Filter or Ibanez Autofilter for fun prior to the Reverb. Occasionally, for smaller rooms I use either a vintage '64 Fender Vibro Champ or a Polytone Mega Brute. The former is only 5 watts the latter is 100 watts but for a transistor amp the size of a shoebox it's deceptively potent.

Treblemaker

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

Well, here's a bump for a long quiet thread!

Clearly the pedals have gone overboard from the Featherweight. I have a board under construction that will be powered by a Gator Bus 8. The Fishman AFX Chorus has a great rotary that stacks wonderfully with the MXR M234. It won't stay there for a gig, but it sure is fun for now! I have to say that I am really loving the Polara. The standard spring/plate/hall/room stuff is all excellent, and I am a fan of the halo. YMMV. The DOD 250 is also a lot of fun; gain at 11 and level at 1 and all the sudden some jazzy tone wants to come through. Also, I find it is really responsive to the attack. Speaking of DOD, the FX25B is a great envelope filter. The way different sounds you can pull thru this pedal are really impressive. I'm thinking about some mods just because, but even if I don't this is a really expressive pedal that also reflects picking dynamics.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1 May 2016.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	580.1 KB 
ID:	146023
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

Blog Entries

I guess I'll join the party. Here's my minimal rig---most of the time I use nothing, but this serves as the full monty. Signal path right to left, ending in the GK MB200. Speaker choice depends on venue.

King of Tone is overdrive, with nice ways of tinkering for the right response. Bi-Chorus emulates the Electro-Harmonix pedal--I like it for the two settings. Carbon Copy serves as reverb, because it has a softer echo than a digital and uses much less battery than a digital reverb pedal. I don't like being dependent on power adapters.

Playing for English Country Dance I bring my compact 6.5" 100W speaker (no pedals). Total weight 7 lbs.
    Playing indoors at bar or restaurant I use a 200W 8" cab. Total weight 12 lbs.
    Playing outdoors I use a large cabinet with 12" speaker. (100W but much more efficient.) Total weight around 30 lbs.

Name:	rig~.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	345.0 KB 
ID:	146029
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

9. The following members say thank you to Tom Wright for this post:

Having gone overboard from the Featherboard, I've moved to a PT JR. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the Powertrain 1250 power supply; all isolated circuits, one dedicated variable set at 18 v., dead quiet and totally awesome. It will go onto the board being built by 60 Cycle Labs instead of the Gator. The DOD envelope filter has been replaced by the Noisekick FX Almond Blossom. Based on the MuTron III, this is way more versatile than the original and solid as a tank. It is also built locally in Baltimore, Charm City's emerging answer to BJFE. It is a much better pedal for my 5 string than the DOD was. My preferred set up is to have the top row feed the LX 65D & run the bottom row thru the fx loop, and have the 2nd (stereo) feed to the Cub 10.

Top row: Boss TU 2>Almond Blossom envelope filter>BYOC comp/sustainer>DoD 250 preamp overdrive

Bottom row: MXR 234 Analog Chorus>Fishman AFX Chorus>TC Electronic Flashback Delay>Digitech Polara Reverb

Name:	16 June 2016.jpeg 
Views:	115 
Size:	71.2 KB 
ID:	147438
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

11. The following members say thank you to Dave Greenspoon for this post:

These two:

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	354.2 KB 
ID:	149058

into this:

Views:	161 
Size:	530.9 KB 
ID:	149059

which then goes into this:

Views:	167 
Size:	764.7 KB 
ID:	149060
    Thanks,
    Travis

2006 Weber Gallatin, 1984 Flatiron 2MW, Wendler #194, Schwab #177

13. The following members say thank you to Travis Wilson for this post:

Travis, I love each of those shots! Great mandos that cover the range nicely. That pedal board is gorgeous and nice array of lovely pedals; glad that you've found the DOD 250 works for you. Awesome little pedal, and even the TGP crowd gives it its due. Totally appreciate the altoids tin but even more taken by the Quilter-Modd Tone combo. THAT must sound lovely! Does your signal chain follow your layout?

15. The following members say thank you to Dave Greenspoon for this post:

Thanks, Dave. I'm fortunate in that my wife doesn't give me too much grief about my gear purchases!

The signal chain goes as follows:
    Tuner>fuzz>250>Quilter Input
    Effects send>EP2>chorus>delay>trem>reverb>Effects return

Regarding the Quilter 101 Mini head and the Mojotone Lite cab, I love the combination. The class D Quilter, rated at 100W on two of the settings, can produce loads of dead-quiet, clean headroom. It can also get nasty as well with the gain turned up. The Mojotone was stocked with an Eminence Lil' Texas, which is a 12" 125W neodymium speaker. It sounds great, but the best part is the amp and cab together weigh about 20lbs.
    Thanks,
    Travis

2006 Weber Gallatin, 1984 Flatiron 2MW, Wendler #194, Schwab #177

On my most recent CD "Good Numbers" I played electric mandolin on 3 tunes. The mandolin is a Michael Stevens "Paul Glasse Model"
    and the amp a Henriksen JazzAmp, 10"speaker 160 watts, eq set fairly flat, most eq handled by the tone pot on the mandolin which is very helpful,adjusts in very small increments. The amp was mic'd either by a Schoeps or an old Sony large diaphragm broadcast-lookin' mic. No D.I.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Emando.JPG 
Views:	142 
Size:	527.9 KB 
ID:	149200

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Don Stiernberg For This Useful Post:

Brand new Rukavina 16" scale mandola into a 60's harmony 410A tube amp. I wanted the kind of tone that Tiny Moore and Johnny Gimble had on the old Bob Wills records, and this is pretty close.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_3995.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	449.9 KB 
ID:	149496
    "it's not in bad taste, if it's funny" - john waters

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John Rosett For This Useful Post:

Fit RMC bridge pieces* , and so now can use their Polydrive and send signal to a Roland Guitar synth.

1) a 4 string, (CGDA) the other a 5 string.. they use the same 8 pin connecting cable.
    then a 13 pin output to The Roland pedal board synth. which has a stereo line level output.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

current rig:

Ryder EM24 into this pedal board which has CIOKS power supply underneath it. Great power supply and fits under the NANO then this goes into a Victoria 20112 which is Fender Deluxe 5E3 circuit.

My guitar is a Collings 290s.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PEDAL BOARD.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	645.9 KB 
ID:	149643  

23. The following members say thank you to Perry for this post:

Though I haven't performed on it yet, I'm enjoying the heck out of this Eastwood I modified. When I received it, used, I evaluated the pickups as weak and noisy; also the tonal difference between the two didn't seem to matter much. Since I'm an experienced electric guitar butcher/hacker, I crafted a new pickguard, and glued a twenty-buck floating archtop guitar pickup I'd gotten on eBay into it.

With new strings from emando dot com, this thing plays and sounds great. A balanced string output and a strong, quiet signal.

Name:	eastwood.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	2.39 MB 
ID:	151240

Quote Originally Posted by T-E-F View Post
    With new strings from emando dot com, this thing plays and sounds great. A balanced string output and a strong, quiet signal.
    Great looking axe as well T-E-F. I've got the Morgan Monroe sunburst version but have not yet swapped out the pickups and the rest of the electronics. Definitely the way to go!! So many tasks, so little time...

Name:	81358.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	196.7 KB 
ID:	151249

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL
    Last edited by lenf12; Nov-15-2016 at 6:49pm.

Here's the rig for a short acoustic set this Sunday.

Name:	20161115_182838.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	426.4 KB 
ID:	151265

That's keeping it simple Dave!! A Rigel and a Venue, sweet...

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

28. The following members say thank you to lenf12 for this post:

Here is my setup. Mando K&K into ToneBone Ch 1 with HOF reverb in loop. Tuner is in tuner output. Dobro w/fishman Nashville pickup/ JD Aura pedal/ MXR eq/ into Ch2 of ToneBone. All mounted on a piece of 1x6. I use small elastic plastic cable conduit to carry the XLR output to the board or amp along with the two separate power supply cables to a power strip about 8' behind me and out of the way.

Name:	IMG_4384.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	427.2 KB 
ID:	151285

Name:	IMG_3911.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	631.4 KB 
ID:	151286
    willi

My primary set up is
    Tomo LP 17" scale as a long scale mandolin
    Tomo ST 17" scale as an short scale octave mandolin
    Univox U45b tube amp
    Mooer Flex boost
    Mooer Blues
    Mooer Gray Faze
    Univox Wah

I play on my church worship team and we play traditional, contemporary and rock in each set.

Name:	TomoLP.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	198.5 KB 
ID:	151327

Name:	TomoST.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	72.9 KB 
ID:	151328

Name:	Univox_U45B_amplifier.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	151329

Name:	Flex.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	27.0 KB 
ID:	151330

Name:	BLUES-MOOD-B.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	151331

Name:	mooerGrayFaze.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	103.8 KB 
ID:	151332
    2022 SRC Electric Octave Mandolin
    Crafter Acoustic/Electric Mandolin
    Surf City Octave Acoustic Mando
    Epiphone Les Paul Ukulele
    Epiphone 1924 Recording A Tenor Banjo
    Paramount 1929 Artcraft Tenor Banjo

31. The following members say thank you to vwfye for this post:

Those RMC Pickups Inset in the bridge. offer a divided pickup source for Roland's Guitar Synths,

new GR model is # 55.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture