Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Post your rig!

Default Re: Post your rig!

Mine is a custom 8 string made by Michael Dolan, solid mahogany body with ebony fret board, pick guard etc. Pickups are EMGs. My amp is a hot rod deluxe "white lightning" (white case, knobs and light, upgraded speaker). No pedals yet but I want to try an Emma "Discombobulator", it seems like it might be cool. I've read on one of the fender forums that the HDR sometimes doesn't hold up as well as some other models but I've had no trouble with it and it sounds pretty sweet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mandolin-_001.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	357.7 KB 
ID:	48392   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mandolin-_003b.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	198.1 KB 
ID:	48393  
    Michael Schaefer

I was hoping to post pics, but haven't gotten around to it, so just a description for now.

-Mann EM-5 partial hollowbody (in psychedelic purple flame...ooh yeah)
    -Fender Pro Jr: 15 W ultra-simple pure tube amp
    -Boss GT-10 multi processor

IMO, the digital effects go beautifully with the tube amp on the backline. For pure dark tube crunch, it's mando straight into amp, but otherwise, I can get very convincing rectifier metal, delay, 'verb, phaser, etc. effects. Without FX, admittedly I have to crank it up to 'PO the neighbours' volume to really make it sing; works well for gigging and outside, but often too loud for practice.
    In any case, it's a great setup for me and lots of fun. It's too bad I don't play in a band that has a need for emando yet!
    Dan P,
    Victoria, BC

new to this, and not sure i have settled on anything.
    mandobird strung 11- 39
    fender super reverb and princeton reverb piggybacked, NOS tube selection
    old mxr compressor
    tube king - 12 AU 7

Hi, I've put my pics in my album, please look. I use a Boss ME50 effect board and a Laney cub 10 amp, or sometimes a Roland micro cube which has some built in effects. Nice being here, looked for ages !
    Bev

How do I post thumbnails here ? Someone help !

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Reinhardt View Post
    new to this, and not sure i have settled on anything.
    mandobird strung 11- 39
    fender super reverb and princeton reverb piggybacked, NOS tube selection
    old mxr compressor
    tube king - 12 AU 7
    Nice stuff that's a great start...! -
    how do you like the Princeton for mando? what vintages are your amps and is your 'bird a IV or VIII?
    Hereby & forthwith, any instrument with an odd number of strings shall be considered broken. With regard to mix levels, usually the best approach is treating the mandolin the same as a cowbell.

Quote Originally Posted by bevb View Post
    How do I post thumbnails here ? Someone help !
    everything you need to know would be in this thread..

its a pretty simple process.. use the paper clip icon above your post or the manage attachments below, select your chosen files, upload.
    Hereby & forthwith, any instrument with an odd number of strings shall be considered broken. With regard to mix levels, usually the best approach is treating the mandolin the same as a cowbell.

Is there a "talent" knob? Christian McKee's Avatar

Seeing another Dolan made me finally get off my duff to get some photos. One is the Flying V with my Fender HRD with a Celestion, and then the pedal board...

Christian

Name:	IMG_2693.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	198.4 KB 
ID:	48450   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2695.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	334.7 KB 
ID:	48451  
    Christian McKee

Member, The Big North Duo
    Musical Director, The Oregon Mandolin Orchestra

I finally feel like i have something to contribute in this thread.... Pictured is my brand new Blackstar HT-5 ministack which santa delivered early, (I just have to wire him the total price on the bottom of the invoice... Thanks Santa!)

Also in picture are my Epi'bird VIII (nude) and the mandocaster i got to bash on while my Epi is in pieces.

The HT5 is a 5 watt valve head combines 2x single10" cabinets for Stacks of fun and has a wonderful tone variance, featuring both clean and overdrive channels -

word is that there will soon be higher wattage HT series amps available, though the 10"cabs will be discontinued, a full compliment of 12" cabs and combos will be the new format.

Vanner, nice looking rig! But I think that e-mando on the left may need a little work before she will sing through that nice blackstar.

yep how frustrating... I tore it apart ready to get to the paint shop, only to learn there wasn't much point getting it in before new year... can't wait to get the bird back together now!! at least the mandocaster can help my sanity...

Smile Re: Post your rig!

UPDATE: Major Tone injection.

Thanks to the kind help of Martin I snapped up this Dario Tuccerelli LP 8 string LP style Emando. Since the purchase I've replaced the G'-style TP it came with with a number from TKL. I think the assymetry compliments the body and although I've restrung using loop end strings for now, I should now be able to use either ball or loop end.

I've added a Van-amps analog spring reverb tank in the HT-5's send/return loop which is a really great sounding unit (tweed, in pic).I also have a Boss RT-20 available for any rotary horn fx should it be required, (as well as some now unused pedals such as Ibanez chorus/flange and Marshall Bluesbreaker).

The LP has a very nice variance of tone available across the 2 pickups and the combination of The 'Paul's (hotter) SD pickups and the HT5 w/ Vanamps reverb means that on the clean channel I can dial in everything from lushious clean fenda tone to fat marshal crunchedy crunch. Not much gain is required on the OD channel for very crushed tones, and from there the saturation can be taken beyond what i expect would be required from the heaviest of riffs.

Luvvin Life

Main axe-5 string octave/baritone I built about a year ago. EMG 85 pickup.
    Amp-Ampeg VL-1002-excellent all around rock amp.
    Cab- Peavey Valveking 4x12. Not the best but pretty solid
    Pedals-varies but I keep coming back to these three-MXR Blue box (2 octaves down+fuzz), Ibanez TS9DX turbo tube screamer, and Electro Harmonix #1 Echo.

Name:	rig.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	394.4 KB 
ID:	50286  
    Last edited by igowing; Feb-17-2010 at 4:57am. Reason: forgot something

Ben
    sorry for the delay in response, i seem to have missed a couple of months somewhere.

Princeton Reverb is good, and it is my use it for everything amp. i've put in the best NOS tubes i could get, and use the original speaker, but have a replacement ready when that one is finally too weary.
    it's a '74 silverface and it really is quite similar to a blacktop, as there were really no known changes to the circuitry up to those years, even though other Fender silverfaces were significantly altered.
    the Super Reverb is a '74 silverface, and i mellowed it out with good NOS tubes, but didn't want to change it to blacktop specs, as i wanted it to be original.
    all in all, the 5 !0" speakers, with the one from the Princeton having a slightly different voice really is kind of neat. and when the gig is small, i leave the Super home.
    the mandobird is a IV, and it suits me fine. i would really like to get better quality instrument, but
    my electric gigs are few and far between, so what i have, i can work with for now.
    i don't often need it, but when i do the Tube King is a Tube Screamer on steroids, although with the 12AU7, it can be dialed down to Tube Screamer realm. The silverfaces start to break up nicely for lower level overdrive around 4 on volume anyway.

it looks like you have made some very interesting discoveries recently!

well, here it is. i am strictly a mando player (in both a rock cover band and grateful dead jam band) and became fed up with the feedback that seemed inevitable when competing with electric guitars, bass, drums, etc.

so after unsuccessfully looking for mass produced solid mandolins, i got a serious case of custom emando syndrome. my collection includes a Yanuziello 8 string, Mann SEM 8 string, Ryder 4 string synth, Artinger 4 string synth (currently being built - see pix in the "post your pix" section), Paul Lestock 8 string Jazzbo acoustic electric, Bacorn 8 string (selling on Ebay), and two Doug O'Dell Old Town 8 string mandolins.

my rig includes 2 midi processors so i can access 2 sets of instrument voices simultaneously (plus internal polyphony). i blend them using 2 volume pedals, plus a 3rd volume pedal for the magnetic pickup. so i can run 3 signals in stereo at the same time, like trumpet left channel, bagpipe right channel, magnetic pickup in both. i can also pan them in real time left/ right.

the downside is that the rig is heavy, but the positive is that it's almost completely self contained. the pedal board is permanently plugged in and lives in the bottom compartment, so all it needs is power and to plug the speaker cables into the cab. less than 5 minutes and it's ready to go.

oh yeah i've also got a shure wireless guitar system in there and a DMX light controller for our moving head LED light show. they're in the top section of the rack case.

magnetic signal: mando --> IVP Intersound vintage preamp (3 boss pedals in the FX loop on a true bypass strip all on a sliding tray) --> BBE compressor/ limiter --> G Force rack effects ==> stereo volume pedal ==> Behringer rack mixer ==> Mesa Boogie simul class II 90 watt tube amp ==. Hard Truckers 2 x 12 cab

synth signal #1: mando ==> Axon 100 Mk II midi processor ==> Stereo volume pedal ==> rack mixer ==> mesa boogie tube amp ==> Hard Trucker cab

synth signal #2: mando ==> Axon 100 Mk II midi processor (as a pass thru midi signal) ==> Yamaha Motif ES rack synth processor ==> Stereo volume pedal ==> rack mixer ==> mesa boogie tube amp ==> Hard Trucker cab

Turner Burner

Luthier&Pickup maker ret. Soundfarmer Pete's Avatar

Ouch!!!!
    That kit looks a nightmare :-)
    I like simple!
    Almuse LP Junior through channel 1 and my electric fiddle through a Digitech bass effects processor into C2 of an ancient Fender Power Chorus - BIG noise from a 2X12 combo :-)
    Mostly use the mando for chord work so the trebly sound occupies a different space to our guitarists Gordon Smith Les Paul/Marshall/Fender rig!
    CheeryBye

you asked for it.
    gibson goldtone amp ga-30 rvs two 12 in speakers and 8 tubes
    i have been running my pickups through a boss gt-10.
    i also have some boss pedals not shown for simpler set ups(blues driver,chorus ,delay,tuner.gain button)
    i have a midi installed through ghost system saddles and a hexpander interface on the fender fm60e. this i play into a Axon AX100 which runs to the pa which handles all the bass sounds.15 in speakers for the PA. i also use a roland loop for midi looping. the gt-10 has its own loop internally .
    AXES
    fender 5 fm-60e
    steve ryder 5 (will soon be getting midi . requires major reconstruction for fit)
    fat back cherry 4 that i built myself with steve ryder humbucker pick ups (my first build)
    19 in guitar conversion to 5 string GDAEB.
    23in squire conversion to 5 string FCGDA (will be recieving midi interface as well)

Name:	gear 006..jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	241.2 KB 
ID:	58007   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gear 005..jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	240.1 KB 
ID:	58008  

Where do you find a guitar with a 19" scale length?

Here's a pic of my Fuchs Lucky 7 and my new Holst acoustic/electric mandolin.

Name:	DSCN1922..jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	167.6 KB 
ID:	58010  

Custom made Telecaster/8string mando double neck (made by Tim Floyd), Fender Twin, Yamaha analog delay, Saga Violectra 5 string electric fiddle. I usually play bluegrass acoustically, but several times a year I break out the electric rig.

Where do you find a guitar with a 19" scale length?
    keep looking around there are weird junk guitars hidden in every shop. the one i found is a Avion Greg Bennett design by Samick. what a piece of junk it was can't believe i paid 150 for it new. the neck was way out of whack. i put a better pick up on it but i wish there was one at the neck. going to build a real one and sell this off in the fall . PM me and i will give you first dibbs on it. will basically be getting rid of it at cost. or i will strip the good parts i put on it for another instrument.

I believe that the 3/4 squire is 20.75" scale, unless a new neck was made.

There are two separate models with the scales you guys have listed. It is really hard to tell the difference when you're searching online or even in the stores. Best to see them in person and have a tape measure handy, though visually I find the 21" model close to full size and the 19" looks teeny (more like pre-teeny).

I'd suspect the 19" used to be a LP-peewee... same scale as a veewee.

Quote Originally Posted by Turner Burner View Post
    my collection includes a Yanuziello 8 string, Mann SEM 8 string, Ryder 4 string synth, Artinger 4 string synth (currently being built - see pix in the "post your pix" section), Paul Lestock 8 string Jazzbo acoustic electric, Bacorn 8 string (selling on Ebay), and two Doug O'Dell Old Town 8 string mandolins.
    What you need is a good 5-string.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls