Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Terrible left hand fingertip pain!

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Default Re: Terrible left hand fingertip pain!

Ow! Ow! Ow! The old bamboo shoot rears its ugly head. (Courtesy of the Mando Cafe's Mixed Metaphor Department.)

It'll go away. And come back. And go away. And come back . . . .

I get it in my left forefinger - the finger I press hardest with, probably not coincidentally. There's not much you can do except not press so hard. Which won't come naturally. You'll have to force yourself to lighten your touch.

Repositioning your finger can also help. Try angling it slightly instead of pressing straight down. Awkward, but doable, and if it gets rid of that pain, it'll be worth it, right?

I hear Eric Clapton just retired because of nerve damage. Pretty soon folk'll be saying, "Eric who?"

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Silver View Post
    .. update. Its been several months and simple rest has not cured this condition. I am now working with a hand doctor and physical therapist .. but the long and short is they don't really know either. Clearly some manner of nerve damage or nerve pressure. Now seems likely to be in my neck or several places along my neck and arm, most likely not really a 'hand / finger' issue. Pain Only occurs when playing, this is not from some other injury or condition, I have full strength and use of arm,shoulder, neck, etc. More later - input WELCOME.

Frank
    Hi Frank, I really feel for you as I have suffered from exactly this problem. I struggled with it for ages, and it would not go and I could not play. Then I found that I was lucky enough to have a doctor who was also a keen amateur classical guitarist, who took it seriously.

His prescription for me was a cream sold in the UK under the trade name of Difflam. The main ingredient is Benzydamine Hydrochloride. Like any guitarist, I didn't want this greasy stuff softening my left hand callouses, so I used it once and went back to say it didn't work. He told me to persist and I did, as there was nowhere else to go - the pain is excruciating and one simply cannot play.

Within 48 hours the pain had gone. (I infer it is caused by a trapped or aggravated nerve or some such.)

I still get this once every year or two - there seems no rhyme nor reason why - and the only thing which works for me is to stop playing immediately (nobody can play through this pain, it's too bad) and apply the Difflam cream. This now always clears it up within 48 hours or so.

If you haven't yet found a solution, I hope this might help. Best wishes, Martin"

Young players with pain localized to the fingertip may have developed a neuroma--tender bundle of nerve tissue built up in response to what body perceives as trauma from long hard playing. This may require a hand surgeon for remedy, but hopefully you can find a referral from the music community with many string instrument patients who is sensitive to their needs and has a specialized physical therapy team.

Older folks have possibly developed cervical spine degeneration with bone spurs and loss of disc height and especially in certain postures or specific activities may compress or otherwise agitate spinal nerve roots and suffer referred pain or numbness or weakness. These may improve dramatically with anti-inflammatories or improved posture. Spine surgery would be a very last resort and only for very specific indications; possibly more examples of failed surgery than success despite the advertisements, and re-ops are often disastrous.

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    Happens to me once in a blue moon, despite a half-century of callus build-up. In my case, I just hit a particular spot where there's a nerve ending that's insulted by the string's pressure, and lets me know in no uncertain terms.

I try changing my "grip," the angle at which that particular finger hits the string, the point where the string touches the finger pad, even the fingering itself, substituting another finger if possible. Couple minutes, and I can go back to "normal" fingering.

I have thick, permanent calluses on all my fretting fingers, and they eliminate 99%+ of the discomfort, but every so often...
    I perused here to see if anyone else has had my experience before piping up. Rather than starting a new thread, I thought I'd post my issue here, as it seems to be in the same ball park, at least ('though mine doesn't feel like sharp nerve pain):
    I play daily, and have been playing for many years. Last week I suddenly experienced unbearable soreness/pain when fretting with my ring finger. It is coming from between the pad under the callus and the bone. I tried resting it for a couple of days but it did not improve. I'm now up to four days, and I miss playing so much that I'm posting here before seeking medial advice.
    Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Playing on the porch

This sounds ever so much like a bruised nerve in the tip of your finger. I have this happen a couple times a year and I just take a break from playing for a few days.
    ---
    2021 Ellis F5 Special #564 mandolin
    2016 Eastman MD515 mandolin
    1928 Ernst Heinrich Roth violin

6. The following members say thank you to GMorgan for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by GMorgan View Post
    This sounds ever so much like a bruised nerve in the tip of your finger. I have this happen a couple times a year and I just take a break from playing for a few days.
    That sounds like you could be right. I will do this. Thank you.