Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mandolin weekend in scotland

I've just got back from the Lanarkshire Guitar and Mandolin Association (LGMA) weekend at Wiston Lodge in Scotland, so I thought I'd share some memories and photos with you.

I'll start at the end, with a photo of the whole group (including some mandolins!) In this photo, the organisers husband and wife team Ian (Trebleclef here at the Cafe) and Barbara Pommerenke-Steele are on the right of teh front row, sitting on the floor. #I'm second from left in the same row with my Phil Davidson flat top. #Tutor Nigel Gatherer is just behind me and to the left in the white jumper, and German tutors Jens-Uwe Popp and Jochen Ross are at the back on the right.

More to follow...

Fliss

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RIMG0119.JPG 
Views:	187 
Size:	110.2 KB 
ID:	22193  

I'll post a few pictures from the session last night. #This first one shows Nigel Gatherer playing his Kai Tonjes flat top. #On the extreme right of the photo is Mark, who was responsible for the wonderful food we enjoyed at Wiston Lodge, and he happens to be an excellent guitarist and singer too. #For the guitar buffs out there, he's playing a very nice Collings, looks like an 00 size, with a gorgeous bearclaw top.

For me, a personal highlight of the session was that with Nigel's support and encouragement I got up with him to play "Ashokan Farewell" - it was a great privilege for me to play along with Nigel, as well as being a big confidence boost. #

Fliss

Name:	RIMG0088.JPG 
Views:	196 
Size:	120.7 KB 
ID:	22194  

Another photo from the session. On the right is Donna with her banjo, and the two young chaps are two of Ian and Barbara's pupils, Graham and Greg, and I think I'm right that Graham is the one who's going on to study classical mandolin (more details in Ian's thread in the Classical/Medieval/Renaissance section of the forum.) Greg is pretty nifty with his bowlback, too, and played a solo for us to enjoy on the Friday evening.

Fliss

Name:	RIMG0099.JPG 
Views:	188 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	22195  

Over the course of the weekend, we had varioius workshops (each attendee was able to choose two to take part in) plus technique workshops, a theory class, and practice for the orchestra where we all play together. #Also, we each got two half-hour private lessons.

The focus of the weekend was song, and I got to take part in Nigel Gatherer's Celtic song workshop where we learned about different methods of accompaniment, and various strumming and picking patterns. #I also took part in Barbara Pommerenke-Steele's workshop where we played different syles of song, including "Singing the Blues", a Japanese song called "Sakura" all about springtime and cherry blossom, and a bosanova.

This photo shows Nigel in action at the improvers' technique workshop, giving guidance on developing tremolo technique. #

Fliss

Name:	RIMG0104.JPG 
Views:	174 
Size:	117.2 KB 
ID:	22196  

I guess you'd like to see some mandolins - here are some that Ian brought along.

I hadn't noticed the position of the price ticket behind them, but it should be noted that the prices do not refer to the mandolins

Fliss

Name:	RIMG0106.JPG 
Views:	182 
Size:	125.6 KB 
ID:	22197  

Here are Birgit, Diane and Susie practicing their orchestral music in a rare spare moment.

Fliss

Name:	RIMG0107.JPG 
Views:	177 
Size:	126.8 KB 
ID:	22198  

Here's Eddie, who is a mandolin teacher (but wasn't one of the tutors on this weekend) doing some picking on my mandolin.

Fliss

Name:	RIMG0108.JPG 
Views:	189 
Size:	108.9 KB 
ID:	22199  

Looks like it was a great time!
    Elrod
    Gibson A2 1920(?)
    Breedlove Cascade
    Washburn 215(?) 1906-07(?)
    Victoria, B&J, New York(stolen 10/18/2011)
    Eastwood Airline Mandola

guitars:
    Guild D-25NT
    Vega 200 archtop, 1957?

This is the group from Jochen's workshop giving their performance in the concert this afternoon. #(Jochen is on the right)

Fliss

Name:	RIMG0114.JPG 
Views:	170 
Size:	109.9 KB 
ID:	22200  

This is the group from Jens-Uwe Popp's workshop giving their performance. #(Jens-Uwe is on the left with the guitar.) #Jens-Uwe gave a very interesting talk about Klezmer music as part our theory lesson. #The other part of our theory lesson was a talk by Nigel about the history of traditional Scottish music.

Fliss

Name:	RIMG0116.JPG 
Views:	201 
Size:	111.7 KB 
ID:	22206  

Thanks, Mandosquirrel, yes, it was a great - but very exhausting - weekend I hope I've given a flavour of what we all got up to.

Fliss

Blog Entries

Looks wonderful! Thanks for posting.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Blog Entries

Wow that looks like fun.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Nice pics, looks like a great time. Also nice to see so many flattops and other mandos that are not F-styles!
    "I'm your density."

M@ñdº|¡ñ - M@ñdºce||º Keith Erickson's Avatar

Fliss,

It looks like you had a fabulous weekend. I'm jealous

Thank you for sharing your pics with us
    Keith Erickson
    Benevolent Organizer of The Mandocello Enthusiast

all those people and no F-holes ? nice look at what going on across the pond in the mando world
    Wes
    "i gotta fever...and the only prescription is more cowbell!!"

'87 Flatiron A5-JR/'25 Gibson A-JR

Looks like it was a lot of fun, Fliss, and your Davidson is quite a nice looking instrument -- is that new? (And has your Garrison been collecting dust since you acquired it?

"The problem with quotes on the internet, is everybody has one, and most of them are wrong."
    ~ Mark Twain

Mandolin shirts, hats, case stickers, & more at my Zazzle storefront

Hi,
    I'll be in Scotland (with mandolin) in July. I'll have some free time in Edinburgh and Glasgow. Any suggestions for folk sessions, clubs, pubs, music stores, etc.?
    Thanks, Chuck

There are a lot of sessions in both Edinburgh and Glasgow, but I'm not well up on where they are.
    You might try posting in the forum at Footstompin
    Read some of the stuff first to get a flavour of some of the banter, so you might get an idea what to expect. Some of it can be a bit silly, but there are a lot of people who read it who do know the scene pretty well.
    There is also a section somewhere on sessions, I think. I haven't checked that bit for a while.
    Incidentally, if you go a bit further North to Dunkeld and Birnam, there's some very good sessions on a Monday and Tuesday.
    David A. Gordon

Scots must be a hardy race, for they seem to be immune to Scroll Envy!
    hanknc

Thanks for all the comments, guys! Scrolls and f-holes could be seen, but there weren't many of either. You can see a blond mandolin with both towards the back in the photo of Jochen's workshop group.

Jimmacd - yes, the Davidson is new, I've had it less than a fortnight I've been playing the Garrison too, and did take it to Scotland with me as well, and played it in some of the practice sessions, but I must confess the Davidson has made it somehwat surplus to requirements.

Chuck - another place you could try inquiring about sessions is on the mandolin.org.uk forum.

Fliss

It occurs to me that I really should post a picture of the audience for our concert - so here she is! Her name's Daisy. Isn't she cute? Actually, she was only 20% of our audience, the other 80% were three of staff at Wiston Lodge (including Daisy's owner) and a tiny sheepdog puppy belonging to one of them.

Fliss

Name:	RIMG0115.JPG 
Views:	168 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	22221  

Fliss, was a pleasure to meet you....In all my other (non music related) hobbies I have never met such a friendly,keen and talented group of people.I couldnt actually add much to the weekend due to me low level of ablity,but I am inspired by all these folk there.
    Thankyou Fliss.

Keith

Hey, Keith, great to hear from you, it was nice to meet you too When I went for the first time, last year, I felt the same as you about my ability. It was only later on, when I practiced some of the things I'd learned, that I realised just how much had actually sunk in and helped me to improve.

You're right, one of the best things about the whole weekend was how lovely and friendly everyone was. My experience (so far!) is that mandolin players are the nicest and friendliest people I've met anywhere.

I wanted to post a picture of Barbara with her lovely bowlback, but for some reason the flash on my camera didn't seem to work properly when I took it, so with a little help from Photoshop to enhance it, here's the pic, let's hope it doesn't turn out too grainy.

Fliss

Name:	Copy_of_RIMG0103a.jpg 
Views:	373 
Size:	112.9 KB 
ID:	22224  

Many Thanks Fliss ... for your comments and also for posting so many pics... super.

This was, as far as i can judge, a really good weekend and Keith was right when he talks about a really friendly bunch of people. This was our 5th residential and I think that the level of tuition was as high as I have seen.... so on behalf of Barbara, myself and The LGMA I want to thank all the participants for their entuthiasim and "staying power"... it really was an intensive weekend.

And of course our tutors Jochen and Jens Uwe from Germany and #our own Nigel Gatherer and Barbara... what a team! I know they are exhausted (I'm a bit knackered myself)but they really had a good time, and they have also commented on the friendliness of all.... thanks a million to all tutors.

It's often the case on these weekends that there is so much happending and so much info that it does not immediately sink in...... so I'm glad that Fliss mentions to Keith.... that it can be sometime after a tuition course like this that all the techneque and advice suddenly begins to "click" and you see the fruits of your labours. # It looks like, despite having a very busy programme next year... that we will run the residential again.... maybe even to include the Monday, so that it's not quite so hectice... we will see.
    Best Wishes to all.

ps Jochen Ross and Jens-Uwe Popp have just completed the recording of their new CD of "Scottish/Celtic" music... with mandolin, guitar, double bass... a lovely singer from Canada and the percussion by the percussionist from "sting"
    I've heard some of the tracks... and it is outstanding.. It's called "East Parkside" (yes after Nigel Gatherers lovely peice of music)and it should be due for release in july... I'll keep the cafe informed.