Thread: Tailpieces

I'm reposting this since I think it got lost in a related thread. I had to replace the tailpiece on my 2003 Gibson Fern, since the tines(sp?) kept popping up when I tuned. Gibson was no help since I was told their guarantee on hardware was only for one year. I just replaced the tailpiece with a Saga that I had lying around. It seems ok, similar look etc. I'd certainly be willing to get something else, especially if it made a positive improvement in the sound (it sounds great now) and it fit in with the look (to me) of the mando. I don't like the look of the Weber. The James looks OK but it seems a bit pricey, but I could go for it if I'd get positive sound results. Thanks in advance for your advice.
    Gerry Tenney

The James tailpiece is nice, yes a bit pricey, but it's worth it. Is it the best? That depends on what you're looking for it to do. For somebody that only changes strings every 2 or 3 months, I don't gain anything from it. In fact, I find the Gibson tailpiece easier to use with string changes. But the James tailpiece is a work of art and engineering.

Can't you buy a replacement tailpiece from Gibson?

Cheap fix? , get a Generic tailpiece, Gibson replica, for the new bottom bit, and use the logo top cover over again. would be a minor investment, and nones the wiser it's not original, the cover will still be as such.

[I'm a bill James TP convert, quick broken string changes, R good, and dampens the strings, between it and the bridge, without need for grommets, etc.]

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

greg boydsells gibson tailpiece copies that look great for 60 bucks. just scroll down on that link.

www.bigdrawbluegrass.com

Voight A-5
    Bayard GBOM

fwiw - i love the james.
    www.bigdrawbluegrass.com

Voight A-5
    Bayard GBOM

Chief Moderator/Shepherd Ted Eschliman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by (Jerry Byers @ Mar. 02 2007, 20:46)
    But the James tailpiece is a work of art and engineering.
    Nicely put, Jerry. I agree.
    Ted Eschliman

Author, Getting Into Jazz Mandolin

Hi, I am new here (1st post) and new to the mandolin (just bought a fullerton solid wood Hammenton F as a starter instrument from the music123 sell off . i really am enjoying the fullerton but I cant get the plate to stay on the tailpiece. i would like to upgrade and I like the Orrico in brass. Is the Orrico a decent tailpiece? should I go with medium or light strings.
    A trip of 1,000 miles starts with 1 step.

Fullerton Hammonton
    Alvarez MD90
    Blueridge 163

Blog Entries

At least one builder I know of (Ken Ratcliff of Silver Angel mandolins) uses the Orrico tailpiece. They look nice and are probably as easy to restring on as the Weber or Eastman's copy of the Weber. With strings, you could try a bunch of different weights or even similar guages from different manufacturers to see what "fits" best for you and your music.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Registered User Nathan Kellstadt's Avatar

I have a Ratcliff A with the Orrico tailpiece and really like it. It's nice & solid, has a built in string dampener (strip of leather), and looks very cool. Just make sure you bend the loops on the end of the strings when changing them and you're all set.

Thanks
    I'll be ordering an Orrico and some strings tonight. Frank Ford at Frets.com gives some good tips on string bending.

Fullerton Hammonton
    Alvarez MD90
    Blueridge 163

Lloyd LaPlant also has been using Orrico tailpieces for some time. I presently have two LaPlant instruments with Orrico tailpieces and I like them. Changing strings can be a nuisance, which I've solved by using a cardboard wedge to hold the loop on the pin while tightening up the string and also putting a cloth under the tailpiece to prevent scratching while getting the string fed under the tailpiece and onto the pin. No big deal really.
    Too many instruments...too little time

Georgetown Indiana, Across the creek from Louisville KY.

Love my James! Makes string changes much easier. You can close it on one string at a time to hold it in place while tightening. Looks great and helps balance out the heavy Waverlies on the other end. I'm very happy. Nice solid peice of hardware.
    Poe#5, Neely#72, Kentucky KM 150 (The Bagram Beater)
    http://WWW.myspace.com/easternskybluegrass
    http://www.myspace.com/darrintissandier

you might want to check out John Hamlett's Tailpieces. They are beautiful and functional. I have them on all my mandos.
    John's Website

Thanks atracksler
    the url didnt work for johns site but with a quick search I did find it. I havent ordered anything yet as I am still learning what I need. one consideration is to add weight to the lower bout as this mando is seriously out of balance to the tuners. is there somewhere I can find specs on different tailpieces?

Fullerton Hammonton
    Alvarez MD90
    Blueridge 163

Quote Originally Posted by (RizinRico @ Mar. 22 2007, 11:18)
    Thanks atracksler
    the url didnt work for johns site but with a quick search I did find it. I havent ordered anything yet as I am still learning what I need. one consideration is to add weight to the lower bout as this mando is seriously out of balance to the tuners. is there somewhere I can find specs on different tailpieces?
    I found Hamlett instruments at:

http://www.hamlettinstruments.com/instruments.php

Click on the headstock thumbnail to see the tailpiece.

Looks nice.

I just ordered an Allen from Randy Allen. It's
    my second and I've been happy with them.

-vince

I love my Allen tailpiece...need to use string dampeners as there isn't a built in piece, but IMO it's worlds beyond the traditional Gibson TP.
    1988 R.L. Givens A3 #429
    1925 "The Ace" Ludwig Tenor Banjo

www.myspace.com/andersbergstrommusic

[QUOTE]one consideration is to add weight to the lower bout as this mando is seriously out of balance to the tuners.

I had this problem on a taro-patch tenor uke I owned...what I did was add a endpin that I had attached lead fishing weights to on a brass wire to help even out the totally top heavy feeling it had. Those were inside the body and not visible. It helped but didnt cure the problem so I got rid of it. It just didn't feel right. YMMV
    Look up (to see whats comin down)