Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New bridge project

For some time I have received inquiries about offering an 8 string bridge. A few months ago I was approached by a builder, he can chime in if he wants, about building an 8 string and a 10 string bridge for him. Well, here are some pictures of the prototypes that I sent him last week. They will eventually be nickel chrome plated, but for now I'm leaving them brass until I get the design nailed down. Unfortunately, a crack has appeared on a couple between the lower string holes during the bending process. I am going to be moving the holes up a bit and the bend down in hopes of eliminating the stress on the holes. I've been told that the threaded saddle, made for a Jazzmaster bridge, works well for pairs but I hope to work out an arrangement with GraphTech to supply unslotted String Saver saddles so an individual can set their own spacing.
    Anyhow, just thought I'd post what I was working on and maybe get some feedback and suggestions on design. Sorry about the bad photo.

Andrew
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gd_bridge_proto.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	22007  

Cracking sounds like metal is work hardened one too many cycles.. you would best to Anneal the plate first, then the fold will go better, brass and bronze works cold , after the metal is heated up to glow a Bit. heat with a Gas torch on a firebrick. a bit darkened surroundings helps see heat color, red-orange is hot enough.

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

With 8 or 10 strings, do you think three screws for the base would be safer than two?

The one thing I don't have much control over, at this point anyway, is the brass due to the amount that I purchase at a time. I'm not sure heating each plate before bending will be practical.

There will be a third hole in the center of the 10 string, but I don't think its necessary on the 8 string.

Its definitely a much different beast than the 4 and 5 string bridges. The biggest issue was the string spacing, because people tend to have their own personal preferences. I left that up to the builder, as he has been at it longer than I.

Andrew

Looks like they will work fine. If you can get the String Saver saddles made slightly longer than the Jazzmaster ones it'll be even better.
    GD

Thanks. I will have longer screws and springs for the threaded Jazzmaster saddles. I am still awaiting to hear from GraphTech. I hope to have the first batch done within the next two weeks and will post pictures.

I wonder if its possible to buy flanged brass stock?
    It might be an easier solution. Probably would cost more though...
    I once made a bridge from flanged kitchen cabinet hardware.

Flange stock would be an option, but it will require more time and effort to machine it whereas the flat stock can be drilled and the corners rounded quite easily. The biggest issue at hand, at least for me, is keeping the bridge priced at a reasonable amount.

Andrew

Andrew,

I looked at your 4 and 5 string bridges on your website; they look top notch. Are you taking any pre-orders for your 8 string bridges, or is there a way we can be notified when they will be available?

Thanks.
    Mark Ehrsam

Susquehanna Travellers
    York, PA

The bridges are still in production. I think that I made about a dozen 8 and 10 string bridges. The company that does my plating is slow at getting them turned around. Since I only do about 25 at a time, they just add them in on an existing run and I don't have to pay a minimum. The problem is waiting for a run that uses a rack that is compatible with my bridge.

I already have several people standing in line, and have been for several weeks. Feel free to email me if you are interested and I'll let everyone know when they are available. I was hoping for this week, but that doesn't look like its going to materialize.

I'm so glad you are doing this... I'm getting in line for these.

I wonder if we could get bridges made like the Les Paul tune-o-matic bridges and tailpiece?

Thats been on my drawing board for some time, but so have about a half dozen other projects. There isn't much in making them, its just finding the best way to make them and keep the price down. There just isn't much of a demand for them compared to the hardtail bridges.

Hi Andrew

I've been using 3mm x 3mm x 50mm brass angle for my bridges. It's heavier than necessary and expensive as hell but no one in South Australia keeps stock of 1.6mm or 2.4mm x 32mm brass angle, even if you're prepared to buy a few 6m (20') lengths. I asked a machinist friend about using 1.5mm sheet brass and bending it to make the bridge bases but he said that I would need to anneal it before bending and the annealing would probably induce a heap of warping. Back to using the 3mm x 50mm stuff. :-(

Interesting about your plater. I dropped off some bridge bases and neckplates about 6 months ago for plating. The deal is he slips them in with other orders, I don't push him, and the price is reasonable. When I got them back it seemed they weren't all there, but I hadn't counted them so I just left it be. Well about 3 months ago I dropped some more in and when they came back there were all the missing ones as well! I seems a few wired up runs had slipped off his plating frame and fallen into the plating vat... found them when he was fishing around for something else that had fallen in! He very helpfully said he wouldn't charge me for them. When I got them home the plating was as thick as anything and all wavy... on some the plating was so thick that it had taken on a speckled/mottled finish, and where the copper wires had been threaded through the holes there were all sorts of daggy growths! I've found a new plater who seems a bit more professional... more expensive, but a better job and faster turnaround time.

Rob - Jupiter Creek Music - Australia

Rob,
    When I ran a wire through the holes I would get "witness" marks from the wire wherever it made contact with the bridge. It was always hit and miss depending on how lazy the guy was that put them on the rack. On my last two batches I have threaded a large screw into one of the mounting holes from the back. They would wrap the wire around the screw, so it completely eliminated the marring. It does flare the hole a little bit, but not enough to be concerned with.

I think platers must be in their own world. I'm yet to have a project go smoothly.

Here's a poor photo of how I prep them before I take them to the plater.

Name:	bridgewscrew.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	42.3 KB 
ID:	22985  

Cool idea Andrew. I might try that too.

I used to cut my brass stock using Junior hacksaw blades in my el cheap scrollsaw but it died a while back. I've just ordered some metal cutting bandsaw blades for my little hobby bandsaw so if they don't work I'm back to using #a hacksaw!

Rob - Jupiter Creek Music - Australia

If I recall correctly, you use angle stock. You might try using an abrasive blade on a miter saw or even on a table saw. A hacksaw is too much work.

Another possibility for cutting them would be a shear. The place you get the stock from probably has an old Buffalo shear or something similar, it has holes shaped for different bar stocks & cuts pretty clean if it's set up well. There probably would be a small charge. The cuts can then be cleaned up on the grinding wheel same as for a saw cut.

Well, hate to be the bearer of bad news, but my plating company went out of business, so it will be even longer before these bridges are available. I am guessing mid May. I posted an update on my website on the "parts and components" page. I also made some other updates to the site if you are so inclined to look. Email me if you have any questions.

Andrew

Hey Andrew. Search the Cafe classifieds under "electric." It looks like you may have a potential buyer.

Thanks Mandoaz, I sent you a PM.

Also, for those interested I am still awaiting my new plating company to run the bridges. Sorry for the delay.

Well, 5 months later I have finally found someone worth a $%#@ to plate my bridges. Here is a picture of a finished 8 string. I also have a 10 string version. Both are on my website. Currently, I only have the threaded saddles, but I will be resuming talks with GraphTech on providing an unslotted saddle now that the bridges are a reality.

Oops. Forgot the picture.

Name:	8stringbridge.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	40.9 KB 
ID:	25044  

Have to measure

[2.5"x1.5" as it is, 4 screws at the 'corners' of the base ; 2_1/16,1_3/32" centers] , may be an improvement over the Fender FM 61 bridge , particularly when a string breaks, the thru the body ferrule with 2 strings sharing the ferrule, seems to require loosening both to get the broken one replaced, as the 2 balls jam together.

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

If you are talking to Graph Tech, be interesting to see if the Ghost piezo saddles could be used with paired strings. Have a Powebridge on a Tele and like it and would like to adapt something similar to my FM61.
    Style is the sum total of your limitations

RMC does offer double notch piezo elements, that is what Godin and Brian Moore uses, the element could be fitted to Strat style bridge pieces.

signal path wire drilled into body directly below bridge to somewhere for the output, mono to an EQ as Godin uses
    divided to synth access.

lots are better than what they fit on those 61's 2 strings in one ferrule is a PIA when one breaks., path thru the body is straight foreward, though, for manufacturing.

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture