Thread: Pricetone

I just today(2/1/07) recieved my PRICETONE F5 -WOW!! I haven't put it down since unpacking it from Mr. Price. I've went thru many mandolins due to MAS. This mandolin blows em' ALL out the window - AND...right outta' the box/case! -What a deep woody tone - and response!. I called Mr. Price to tell him how much I appreciate his workmanship. If I had the equipment I would gladly put up a pic. to show this machine off. It's flawless - and plays so!! - $2500 w. HSC. I'm not - and have no vested ($$$) interest in Mr. Price's instruments - just wanted to share my delight with my fellow CAFE members. He also told me he is now making guitars. Thanks Lewis Price - and thanks folks for taking the time to read of my joy. Moose. #

Blog Entries

Congrats Moose!
    Jason Anderson

"...while a great mandolin is a wonderful treat, I would venture to say that there is always more each of us can do with the tools we have available at hand. The biggest limiting factors belong to us not the instruments." Paul Glasse

Stumbling Towards Competence

I had not heard of the Pricetone before. I found that they are made in South Carolina, the maker has
    email pricetone@sc.rr.com) and phone 803-775-7724.
    The website
    http://www.expresswebs.com/scbtma/local_music_shops.htm
    shows this beautiful instrument

How much did you pay? You say @2500 ... is that the model same as
    http://www.finemusicalinstruments.com shows a price of $4500

Attached Images Attached Images  

Image 2
    Attached Images Attached Images  

image 3
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pricetone_5.JPG 
Views:	234 
Size:	85.7 KB 
ID:	21224  

I been told the Prictones dont have an adjustable truss rod in them??

Hey!! - the ABOVE pics are EXACT copies of my mando - great finish - workmanship AND "play-ability" - don't know about THAT $4500 mando as mentioned above - may be a "customized/extra-work piece!?? - in my conversation(s) with Mr. Price he "established an asking price of $2500 w. HSC!! (well..in FUTURE anyhow)-and yes, NO truss-rod.., not in mine anyhow. One word of caution - I stayed up last p.m. pick'n and got up this morn'in before breakfast pick'n this mandolin. I've felt a chilly-wind a' blowing ...seems to come from the direction of my wife. JEALOUS!!#### - Welll..., too bad...women may come and go..., good sounding mandolins don't come along every day!!....hee...hee... . Thanks guys... Moose. # #
    richard wittenberg

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

I had a music "teacher" who played Pricetones and I got to play them a little. Beautifully made instruments with a great sound. Mr. Price is a gentleman of the old school and sells his instruments mainly at "pickin's" in and around South Carolina.
    Bill
    IM(NS)HO

Where in SC does he reside? #I'm in the upstate.
    Clark Beavans

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

Sumter.
    Bill
    IM(NS)HO

Quote Originally Posted by (jk245 @ Feb. 01 2007, 21:24)
    How much did you pay? You say @2500 ... is that the model same as
    http://www.finemusicalinstruments.com shows a price of $4500
    Harry West is not known for his bargains. I would guess that Mr. Price sells them to him for the same price as he would sell to us and Harry adds his profit margin.

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

"Harry West is not known for his bargains."

But he knows his stuff, can put a song across like nobodys business, and doesn't suffer fools gladly.
    My kind of guy.

Curt

Yeah, he is a character, for sure. I ran into him many times when he lived in New York. I always think of him more as a collector than a dealer, even tho he does sell things. He prices things to hold onto them, unless he finds someone who wants to pay his prices. He has had a few of the vintage mandolins, like that Vega CB, there for years now.

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

No offense intended - but...like I "quoted" per Mr. PRICE...$2500 - packed & shipped (althoughI DID pay insurance/shipping on FEDEX.) - I'm still a happy camper. Moose. #

Just called and spoke with Mrs. Price, very nice lady, and it sounds like the "price" is $2,500 for his 'F' style mandolin. I had called and spoken with Harry West and James West about some mandolins they have, nice folks. That being said, he has a walnut back and sides Pricetone listed for $4,500!!! I doubt the walnut would be considered an upgrade. Evidently this one was made from a walnut tree that fell in his yard. The mandolin was taken in on a trade for a fiddle. Nice looking mandolin. I thought their prices were kinda high too, but I was not trying to close a deal either, so I do not know how tight they are to their prices.
    Tim
    Passernig F5

See above post = $2500!! - per MY conversation with Mr. price - see addendum above re: MRS. PRICE = $2500! - Not bashing Mssr's WEST...but.. they'd probably LIKE to get...$4500 for theirs. OK!?? - A great mandolin...For $2500. Now, back to my mandolin practice... Moose.