Thread: Electronic tuner behavior on large instruments

Anyone owning a CBOM instrument or guitar for that matter have problems with the tuners that operate on vibrations?

I have an intellitouch and notice that it is particularly sluggish in responding to the lower notes on the octave mandolin. Sometimes it even says D, when it means G!

Is my tuner defective? Or is this just a common issue with this technology and lower frequency sounds?

Thanks
    Dotty

Hey Dotty- I have an Intellitouch and also one of those square Intelli clip on tuners. I have found them to work equally well on my mando, OM, and guitar... but also equally poorly... these tuners are great innovations, but still not perfect. And I do think they behave peculiarly when the batteries start to go.

re: the tuner reading the wrong pitch... I think they sometimes pick up harmonics. It can help to dampen/mute the other strings.
    Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    Phoenix Neoclassical #256
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If you're gonna walk on thin ice, you might as well dance!

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

this is why I still like my "cassette"-sized tuners. I just think these intellitouch tuners are way too fluky!

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

I've experienced the same problem with the intillitouch tuner on my mandocello, my cello and even on the low strings of my guitars. Works fine on my mandolin though. I think it's an inherent weakness in the design.

Same issue here with my octave and the intellitouch. The IMT-500 works fine on it.
    <Insert witty saying here>

I have the same issues with my Taylor 854-CE 12 string; it doesn't always register the open E & A strings. I have found that hitting the 12th fret harmonic works so that is my work around. No problems on my mandolin.
    iamgreg.net
    1840 Mittenwald, Germany Fiddle
    1970 "The Gibson" F-12 Mandolin
    1992 Paul Reed Smith Custom 24
    1996 Epiphone Viola Bass
    2000 Martin BC-15E Acoustic Bass
    2002 Gibson L-200
    2010 Gibson Songwriter Deluxe 12 String
    2010 Fender American Standard "iamgreg'd" Telecaster
    grandcreations.net

My Intellitouch works okay with my OM (and with my guitar), but it's not much fun to use with the mandolins I tried it on. It's a question of how much the headstock is free to vibrate. The heavy glossy finish on a couple of my mandos' headstocks makes it that much worse.

I prefer to tune them by ear to a tuning fork or a keyboard.

I've wondered the same thing. I got the Meisel copy of the Intellitouch, it clips on, my OM gives it the willies, but I do eventually get it right. I just have to be patient.

Clark
    Clark Savage Turner
    Los Osos, CA.

Same problem with Intellitouch on the guitar and OM, only the lowest string. Sometimes it doesn't want to respond at all. Sometimes it indicates one of the harmonics (A on the E string). Persistence seems to pay off, though.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Great guys - that tells me that

1) my intelli isn't defective
    2) I might want to consider changing the battery

Very helpful.
    Dotty

Yep, I've experienced the same things, especially the tuner saying D when it is a G. I learned that it is a harmonics issue.

I did several things experiemnting based on some advice from someone else who discovered electronic tuner issues:
    1- Clipped it to different locations - different spots on the headstock, tuner buttons, bridge.
    2 - Deadened ALL adjacent strings.

I found out that there are a couple of spots on the headstock of my mando where it must have resonant spots that accentuate the sypathetic vibration of the D string harmonic somehow. One I deadened all the strings and avoided those spots, I no longer had the problem and noted that the tuner settles in quite quickly now. Play around with it and see if that works for you.
    Scott
    2006 Weber "Special Edition"
    1915 Larsons Brothers Flatback

I found that I get the best response cliping the pickup for my Korg tuner on either the bridge or one of the tuner knobs. I usually don't have a problem with the mando but sometimes it does not want to see the low C on the mandola. So I have to move the pickup to the bass side of the bridge or really "whang" (technicial term ) on the string.
    Kevin Vail

My resonator guitar and banjo give the clip on Intellitouch a fit. The main problem I have with the mandolin is finding a sweet spot on the head for the tuner to clip on. I've also learned to be careful about both strings ringing; if one of them is slightly off it really confuses the tuner!

Repositioning the tuner and/or changing batteries, as stated by others, usually solves most of the wild reading problems (those things go through batteries faster than I would have thought).

Paul Wheeler
    Greenfield, NH; formerly Jericho and St. Albans, VT

Dave, to minimize confusion over "which string" the tuner hears, I use a flatpick to both pluck the string in question and instantly damp its twin. -- Paul
    He joyously felt himself idling, an unreflective mood in which water was water, sky was sky, breeze was breeze. He knew it couldn't last. -- Thomas McGuane, "Nothing but Blue Skies"

Try picking the low strings very lightly. By driving them too hard they develop more overtones. I learned this from bass players.

Registered User steve V. johnson's Avatar

Yep, light touch works much better, in my experience.

Mine reads D on the G course sometimes, but as long as -I- know what strings I'm tuning, I don't care.
    It seems that a true "D" reading on the G course is still a true G, so when I'm in a hurry, fine, I'll take it. &lt;GG&gt;

My Intellitouch doesn't like to read the low E course on my acoustic bass guitar, either, but it does read the 12th fret
    harmonic well.

stv
    steve V. johnson

Culchies
    http://cdbaby.com/Culchies
    The Lopers
    Ghosts Like Me
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers1
    There Was A Time
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers2

I actually find a better response if I use a regular pluck on the strings at a regular beat. If I pick it once, then the tuner is all over the place. If I pick it lightly, the tuner has a hard time figuring out the note. If I pick it cleanly with a pointed pick, I don't have a problem with overtones.

I spent some time this summer with the owner/inventor of the intellitouch and found some interesting things. I don't remember the number but it will respond only after a specific number of cycles being the same note so the longer the neck the more time it takes. People are impatient but they work on a bass it just takes longer. The other important thing someone emntioned above is the softer you pluck the string the better it works. This has to do with overtones.