Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Epiphone mandobirds

Blog Entries

I'm not so sure that the stock pickup is at fault for being a little weak on the high E string. That string is so light that it moves the electromagnetic field only slightly in relation to the other strings.
    I turned my Mandobird into a Mandolabird and got great results from the stock pickup. Of course, now I need to move the whole bridge back a little to get the proper intonation on the C string.

Regarding the usefulness of a mandobird, I use it as much as possible. I think of it as a lead instrument, and almost never try to play rhythm on it.

Daniel

I used to have a Mandobird IV. Sold it cause the neck was so narrow I couldn't push just one string. Anybody have a measurement, by the way? It's got to be narrower than 1 1/8. True?

the warehouse store types are suitable for electronics, but for instruments , It's probably better to shop at a dealer that opens the carton, and does a bit of inspection, and adjustment , before sending it on to the customer.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Hi guys -

I just bought a mandobird off the classifieds for the grand total of $100 (including shipping!). I'm totally new to electronics. Can someone tell me what a pot is?

I assume you're not talking about the stuff you smoke!

What is the stock pot on a mandobird? I'd like a nice warm, clean, jazzy tone. Should I put a 250k on there, like thistle3585 suggests? Also, any specfic pickup I should use for the aforementioned tone?

Thanks!

Pot is short for potentiometer. Most likely you will have three components, other than the pickup, to consider. The tone pot, the volume pot and the capacitor. I would suggest replacing those first then look for a new pickup if you still aren't where you want to be. Don't just unsolder the old pots and put new in. Replace the wiring too. I would suggest using 500K pots and a .022 capacitor. If you're new to wiring and instrument electronics there are a variety of sites you can check out that have good FAQ sections about electronics. Try www.guitarelectronics.com.