Thread: Recommended strings for short-scale om

I'm less than 24 hrs into owning my BardSong OM. Yesterday I changed the strings - old ones had been on for several years!

However, I'm thinking the old ones sounded BETTER! I don't know what was on the instrument - only clue is that A strings were wound.

J-74s just sound SO wimpy and flaccid - like rubber bands, not steel strings.

Scale length is 19 3/4" . Anyone have a recommendation for heavier strings?

Thanks for any advice.

yes indeed... those strings would be WAY too light for that scale length.
    I have two OM's with scale length of 20.5"... I generall use strings at 14-24-34-44 ... or 16-26-36-46....or some combo thereof. You may need to spend some time trying different combos and fine-tuning the tensions for your instrument. But don't expect to find the right combo in a pre-made set. Those are generally designed for 22.5 or 23 or so. And yes, probably a wound A set will be part of the mix.

If your tailpiece takes ball end strings (or you don't mind breaking the balls out of the string ends), you can probably get singles at any big music store like Guitar Center. Or you can order loop end strings individually and put together custom sets from some of the online outfits like JustStrings or Big City Strings.

My suggestion would be start with a set of 14-24-34-44... and then tweak accordingly... see how they sound and feel and if one course is just not giving you what you want, go up a gauge. If one course feels or sounds to powerful in the balance, then go down.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.
    Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    Phoenix Neoclassical #256
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If you're gonna walk on thin ice, you might as well dance!

Do you mean you used J74s or J80s? #J74s are mandolin strings not Octave mandolin strings! You need something much heavier. There is a good chance with your very short scale that J80's, which are octave mandolins strings, will still be too flabby on the bass side. #You may need to use 8 single guitar strings to get a decent sound. Others can tell you better which gauges to choose.

ETA: I see otterly2k beat me to it. Listen to her. I've always found her advice to be very helpful!

Thanks all advice so far!

On the recommendartion of a musical friend, I went to the D'Addario Website. If I want to start with a "packaged set" (i.e. before going into individuals), I found these to consider:

1) Mandola lights - J72 - 14 / 23 / 34 / 49

2) Mandola Mediums - J76 - 15 / 25 / 35 / 52

3) MandoCello mediums - J78 - 22 / 34 / 48 / 74

Based on your recommendations, I think I'll try the J76s first. Might have to special order them . . . feedback when I've had them on for awhile and formed an opinion.

Cheers

BTW: Still hoping to hear recommendations re: my NEXT OM. I bought this one for only $85 . . . ! Already, I'm wondering what I'd notice at a higher (!) price point.

Keep in mind that you DON'T own a mandola -- you own an octave mandolin. I'm not familiar with the BardSong, but I assume it's a flattop and relatively lightly built. The gauges posted by Karen sound about right, and out of the three d'Addario sets posted by you, the J72 is closest. My own initial choice, however, would be their J80 (octave mandolin) set, which you didn't list and which has: 12-22-32-46.

In general, picking OM gauges requires more thought than picking mandolin gauges, because there is a much greater variability of scale lengths and tunings. At some stage it becomes necessary to use a string tension calculator: if you know a set of gauges that your instrument responds well to, you can calculate the total tension. Then, if you want to change the tuning, just make sure you pick alternative gauges that add to the same total tension.

Martin

My octave mando's sitting right here. Scale length is similar to yours and I've got it strung .056 - .038 - .024 - .013. Works for me. PM me if you want a set of strings.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

scgc-- I'd go with those lights or a custom set.

Martin is right... you have to be careful b/c of the way the instrument is constructed. Also-- be careful ordering mandola strings, as the available string length may not be long enough for your OM. Check that before you buy, or you'll be really bummed when you go to re-string. Respectfully, I think the J80's will be too light for a mando at your scale lenth. But I do agree that it is better to err on the light side (and ramp up slowly from there) than the heavy side. I'm not familiar with the BardSong and don't know how much tension it is set up to take.
    Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Follow up: Thanks for all help here! I've ended up (for now, at least) stringing with D'Addario J 76s (medium mandola strings) - 15/25/35/52 . Now the OM really sings!! I maybe should have tried the J 72s first (light mandola - 14/23/34/49) but I was keen to seem what greater string tension was like. I know, I should've erredon the side of caution but . . . . I did, however, pay close attn to the effect stringing heavier was having and I detected none.

So now, for just $85 (plus $8.50 for strings) I've got a pretty nice OM! What I lack is a case - came in a duffle bag!! I'm hoping to figure that out next - wanna keep the cost down so maybe a soft case for a small guitar or tenor banjo . . . . Anyone got any suggestions?

Cheers!

scgc-- hey, whatever works! And it sounds like the j76s are working... cool.

Re: cases... I really like the Alpine Boulder gig bags... they are really well made and well appointed and well padded, and they make a banjo bag that might well fit your OM...no doubt it will be long enough...the main thing to check is the size of the round part of the OM at it's widest, and the depth of the instrument (front to back). I almost bought one, but it was just a bit snug for my (rather deep and large bouted) instrument. These tend to cost approx $30 and come in blue, green or tan. backpack straps as well as handles and good pockets. NFI. I have one for my mando and love it. Would've used one for my OM if it had fit better. If that's too pricey... check out other OM/zouk gig bags...there are certainly less expensive ones out there, but they are certainly also thinner and not as well equipped. These are my faves for mass-produced ones. AFter that, you're looking at custom cases which are about twice as expensive as your entire outfit is so far.
    Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks otterly

We're definitely on the same wavelength! #I've used an Alpine Boulder soft case for my #"beater" mandolin (Breedlove Quartz KF) for 2 yrs now - love it!! #

I'll be able to check out the fit of the Alpine Boiulder banjo case at WinterGrass (in 6 wks). #

I'm thinking (like you) it will be # #long. #My OM is only about 32" long (by 12.5" wide and 2.5" deep). #I don't know from banjos - what are their approx dimensions?

Thanks again for your help - I'm dedicating this next piece (Sally Goodin) to you . . . !

Cheers

Thanks otterly

We're definitely on the same wavelength! I've used an Alpine Boulder soft case for my "beater" mandolin (Breedlove Quartz KF) for 2 yrs now - love it!!

I'll be able to check out the fit of the Alpine Boiulder banjo case at WinterGrass (in 6 wks).

I'm thinking (like you) it will be long. My OM is only about 32" long (by 12.5" wide and 2.5" deep). I don't know from banjos - what are their approx dimensions?

Thanks again for your help - I'm dedicating this next piece (Sally Goodin) to you . . . !

Cheers

yes, the case will be long, but that's ok... room to store a folded up strap, cleaning cloth, or some such. Check the fit at the festival, or order one that's returnable if the fit isn't good. Chances are it'll be a good enough fit. I'm not sure of the exact measurements of the case, but you could always call a retailer and ask for measurements. Also, come to think of it, not sure how much the banjo case costs... the mando case is about $30, but the banjo case may be more. But it is still in the category of inexpensive compared to custom cases, for sure.

You're very welcome scgc... and me and Sally are old friends... I'm honored to be dedicated a tune to...
    Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~