Thread: M.k. octave

I thought I would post a quick review on the octave I recieved about a week ago. Fit and finish are good though I'm not a huge fan of really dark sunbursts. The scale is said to be 22" on the Michael Kelly and other websites. This is not even close to true. 19" is what the mando intonates properly at. It took about an hour to fit the bridge, level the frets, fix the nut so it wont pinch, etc... But it was worth it. Now I have the asthetically pleasing, good playing f-style octave that I was pining for.
    #This instrument has shown me how heavy-handed I really do play the mando. I really have to be concious of the pressure that I apply with either hand. With the left, too much down pressure results in a bent note and with the right, a buzz. I am discovering that a light touch can be invaluable.
    Sorry for the lenghty rant. I just thought that having read previous posts, Id throw my opinion out there.
    Aaron Shaw
    I wonder what normal people are thinking about?

Registered User steve V. johnson's Avatar

Aaron, I've been curious about these since I first saw them.

Thanks for your report! I have questions... <GG>

"The scale is said to be 22" on the Michael Kelly and other websites. This is not even close to true. 19" is what the mando intonates properly at. It took about an hour to fit the bridge, level the frets, fix the nut so it wont pinch, etc... But it was worth it. Now I have the asthetically pleasing, good playing f-style octave that I was pining for."

That's quite a difference, 22" to 19"! By "fit the bridge" do you mean fitting the bridge feet to the top at it's new, shorter scale length, or do you mean the string slots? How is the overall quality of the bridge? It didn't take long to level the frets, were very many very far out? Is the nut Corian or...?

Are you still using the strings that came with it? If so, do you know the string gauges?

Thanks!

stv
    steve V. johnson

Culchies
    http://cdbaby.com/Culchies
    The Lopers
    Ghosts Like Me
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers1
    There Was A Time
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers2

Steve, I have not changed the strings yet but will in the next few days to the dadarrio octave set. The bridge is rosewood and of ok quality I would say though I will eventually replace it with ebony. I had to raise the action with the saddle, slot it correctly and fit the base to the top(not overy complicated). Im not sure what the nut is but they say it is that Tusq stuff whatever that is, It filed like bone. The frets were not too far off. A light once over with a fret file and a quick dressing and they were ready to go. All in all I am very pleased with the instrument. My buddy has an older sage style webber and I think the MK has it all over the sage in tone. Though thats only my opinion.
    Aaron

Also the bridge does sit properly aligned with the f-holes though angled slightly for compensation.

Registered User steve V. johnson's Avatar

Hey Aaron,

Thanks for the details! This is exciting!

I'm familiar with the Weber Sages' sounds, so that's a pretty interesting benchmark for comparison.
    I would expect them to be very different, tho... The Sage, with it's big soundhole is about as different a design from an
    f-body with f-holes as one can get... <GG>

I hope that, when it's all dialed in, that you can post some sound clips somewhere.

Many thanks!

stv
    steve V. johnson

Culchies
    http://cdbaby.com/Culchies
    The Lopers
    Ghosts Like Me
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers1
    There Was A Time
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers2

The Michael Kelly web site describes the Mandola as 17" scale and the Octave as 22" scale. I'm confused, it sounds like your instrument is closer to a mandola than an octave. Does the bridge sit about where it is suposed to on the body (roughly across from the mid-point of the F-holes?
    Mike

2009 Duff F5
    2009 BRW MA-H2 (A5)
    2008 BRW FT-MS (F5)
    2001 Gibson Master Model, Derrington signed
    1984 Kentucky KH-1300, 1983 Kentucky KH-Dawg
    1915 Gibson F2

Check 2 posts up. Their information is incorrect. Everything lines up just the way it should. I also put up a sound clip on myspace.
    http://www.myspace.com/twooduo
    Rough recordings, pretty fun though.

OK, So I just changed the strings to the daddario octave set, stretched them a bit and recorded this fiddle tune that has ben rattling around my brain for a couple of weeks. The recording is completely dry other than new string sound. It was recorded using cool edit pro and a Samson usb mic, and can be found at the url listed above labled a MK octave. Origional eh? The new strings are a bit heavier in the guage and have cured the problem that I was having being too heavy with the pick and fingering.
    On a side note, I would be happy to post a pic with the MK and a yard stick. 19 inches, all seriousness aside.
    -Aaron

My MK dola mikes out very close to 16", and it's supposed to be a 17" scale. FWIW, it fits just fine in the Eastman dola case. The Eastman is at their state 15.75" scale.

Im curious as to what their mandolins measure out to be???