Thread: New to cbom - hi!

Hi! #I've been lurking on this part of the cafe for the past couple of months as I was gearing up to make my octave mando purchase. #It's been very helpful! #Anyway, I got a Weber Bridger from Mandolin Brothers, in spite of the one thread here on the topic - I really want to do my part to support Weber's success and I like their reputation...and I've really enjoyed my Absaroka! ##Action and intonation seems good once the strings settled down in tune. #I really like that sound and it's plenty loud for me.

So - about me - been playing the mando for a year now, then became madly intrigued by the sound of the octave/bouzouki. #While I'm not yet up to session/jam speed, nor am I much of an improvisor, I think I've come a long way in a year. #This site and carrying over the discipline from years of studying the piano have helped. #I started playing bluegrass/old time and some celtic, but then under the influence of my mando teacher really started to get into celtic as well as the contra-dance repertoire. #Perhaps in a couple of years, (with the help of the metronome) I'll break the speed barrier and be able to approach what the jammers and sessioneers are doing! #I'm not a spring chicken BTW - 47 years old - so I have to take the slow road and work in practice when I can, but I can usually manage at least an hour per day.

Anyway, so far have spent a couple of hours with my Bridger and was thrilled to see how quickly the tunes I already have down on the mando came to me on the octave. #Yes, there are adjustments but so far all manageable. #I'm hoping that the work out my pinky gets now, and the need to shift more will improve my regular mandolin skills as well!

I have John McGann's Octave Mando book - it's cool to see the accompanying line written out and to hear it! #Also, I'm enjoying seeing the ornaments spelled out as well (that's my next frontier - getting beyond simple hammer-on's pull-offs).

Just think - one day you might see me frolicking on the set of Celtic Woman, tripping that fiddle-playing chick and kicking up my own heels! ## Send your money into PBS now if you like this program!
    Dotty

Yes, it really is a treat to find out you can already mostly play a new instrument. #Have fun!

Hey Dotty, welcome aboard!

re: the speed barrier... imho there's nothing better for this than playing with other people. And when you're ready, playing for dancers. After all, most of this music was for the purpose of dancing to at some point.
    But I far prefer playing with others to playing with a metronome. They are better company, make better conversation, and sometimes even bring goodies to a session...

However you do it, do it. Sounds like you're off to a great start. I'm glad you like your Weber.
    Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    Phoenix Neoclassical #256
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If you're gonna walk on thin ice, you might as well dance!

ditto otter and welcome dotter, I mean Dotty. Sorry I just couldn't put it together right.

Forgive me and allow me to introduce myself. My name is Bill and I have played the Ocatave about ten years now. I am an old Weber man myself.

Playing dances...Yes Yes Yes. Plenty of great melodies to learn there with the added benefit of going home with some of the tunes stuck in your head. For me that is best time to dig in and learn those tunes, (usually the next morning actually). Get some books to help with this. A book I learned lots from is the The Fiddler's Fakebook. Lots of great standards there to help you make friends with fiddle tunes.
    Bill

Yikes - with real people - I don't know - - I think after my first few experiences with that at a (so-called) beginners bluegrass jam I'll need either much drink or beta blockers to address the nerves. #What went well at home was hardly audible there, plus, throw in chop induced rigor-mortis of the left hand. #Not a pretty sight. #Very encouraging group though. #The OM would push them over the edge, I suspect.

Anyway, there is an old time jam nearby that I'm in the process of checking out (assuming they're still active). #That style might be better suited to my nerves, style preferences, instrument, etc. #Although I will say I've found it comparatively more difficult to transfer old time tunes to the octave as yet (2 hours is a little too short to judge, but so far, Irish is much easier).
    Dotty

An octave mandolin at a bluegrass jam, even a slow one, is a bit of a "fish out of water." You can do some chording and bass runs, but the repertoire really is only marginally suited to the instrument. Celtic works well, old-time is do-able, and if you can get with people doing contra dance music, you'll find it fits in well. (Klezmer ain't bad, either, if you can get the hang of the different modes.)

Think over your instrument's role. "Big" mandolins are great in that they can switch from melody to rhythm and be welcome either way. Saying that, the average OM, bouzouki or mandocello player may have a hard time being as fleet-fingered as the fiddlers and mandolinists. Those frets are quite a bit farther apart, and you don't want to sound like a hippopotamus trying to polka. I tend to simplify melodies, lose some of the ornamentation, and work on counter-melodies, octave paralleling of the lead instruments, and bass support. You can do things the guitars can't do easily, which can lead to lots of fun.

If you want to get closer to the mandolin/fiddle role, consider the mandola as well. Heck, by the time you get done experimenting, you could end up with as much junk as I have...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

If what you have is "junk", I'm willing to offer my house as a junkyard!!
    Elrod
    Gibson A2 1920(?)
    Breedlove Cascade
    Washburn 215(?) 1906-07(?)
    Victoria, B&J, New York(stolen 10/18/2011)
    Eastwood Airline Mandola

guitars:
    Guild D-25NT
    Vega 200 archtop, 1957?

Quote Originally Posted by
    you don't want to sound like a hippopotamus trying to polka
    Hey!!! some of my best friends sound like hippos trying to polka!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    Phoenix Neoclassical #256
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If you're gonna walk on thin ice, you might as well dance!

Yeah, well, my band does Red-Haired Boy, three times through, at increasing speed. I start out boldly playing lead on my Flatiron OM the first time through, but guess who's playing chords when we hit third gear...?
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Registered User steve V. johnson's Avatar

Hey Dotty, welcome!

Re Karen's comment about playing with people, I agree, and it doesn't have to be a public performance.

When I began I had the wonderful good fortune to have a couple of fine fiddlers who were willing to come over and spend some time playing with me from time to time, and it was tremendous for my playing. I promised not to tell anyone what they'd done, tho... <GGG> But it really really really helped to bring me up to the ability to join in the local Irish sessions.

So as you grow with your OM, keep an eye toward some meetings over a meal or some pleasant beverages for a couple hours of tunes with a good strong melody player, and I'll predict that it will be both fun and productive for your playing.

I just wish I could afford the Weber OM that I want! LOL!!!

All the best,

stv
    steve V. johnson

Culchies
    http://cdbaby.com/Culchies
    The Lopers
    Ghosts Like Me
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers1
    There Was A Time
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers2

Allen, I like that - hippo trying to polka! Not really my goal - I think I understand the strengths and weaknesses of the instrument - more so after a couple of evenings with it. But it sounds so cool!

I"m going to start another thread on this re: questions, but thanks everyone for the welcome and the information!
    Dotty

>> Yikes - with real people - I don't know - - I think after my first few experiences with that at a (so-called) beginners bluegrass jam I'll need either much drink or beta blockers to address the nerves. What went well at home was hardly audible there, plus, throw in chop induced rigor-mortis of the left hand. Not a pretty sight. Very encouraging group though. The OM would push them over the edge, I suspect.<<

You can start with the first, fourth and fifth notes of the key in which you are playing and just go from one to another, playing on the down beat. A little experimentation will give you the feel of what one belongs where.
    When our Appalachian/Old Time/some Celtic band started three years ago I would record the session on my old stereo video camera and later at home use the recording for practice. Now I have graduated to a digital recorder and I burn a CD. The rest of the group has also become interested and I burn CD's for them too. Since we are about 75% beginners it works very well.

John F

Nyberg SS Cittern
    Freshwater Mandola
    Freshwater Bouzouki
    Barbera 5-string violin
    + a few others