Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: On stage banter

If your band doesnt have any good interaction and someone neds to change a string etc. I think this is a great oppurtunity to showcase someone in the band that seldom gets to do a solo! Lets that person shine and gives rest of the band a short break !
    Ken Froman

2. The following members say thank you to keymandoplyr for this post:

G7MOF 

Some really good points here. I love the Grateful Dead, but they said practically nothing onstage. Often, between songs, they were faced away from the audience tuning or adjusting amps. They had the chops to get away with it. On the "Reckoning" Cd of acoustic Dead, Bob Weir does introduce a song but trips over his words. Gives me a better idea of why they didn't talk between songs.

I agree that banter should be used sparingly. I usually give the name of the song and maybe an idea of the source. If the instrument doesn't want to tune (okay, it's usually my banjo ), I'll make a little joke while I'm trying to get it right. I try not to use the same joke every time.

I teach, give talks, and lead groups, so I am comfortable with public speaking. As many said, be real. If it sounds like you are reading a script (poorly) people may start to turn off.
    Gary Blanchard
    Original Acoustic and Electric Music
    http://www.irismusica.net

oh come on - the gd did speak once in a while...
    bob: i say phil my dog has no nose.
    phil: no nose? how does he smell?
    bob: bloomin awful!

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

In my band days of old, we had a double strategy:

1 - plan the song list so as to streamline instrument change times. The one who does not change instrument announces the next song (just a few seconds are ample time for the others to change).

2 - emergency band: our guitar player used to burst a string once or twice a gig. Then the band would disappear except for two of us playing a duo virtuoso tune set. After that, the rest of the band would reappear, including the guitar player with a new string on, and the planned song list would resume.

Bottom line: dont fill dead air with jokes, fill it with music. After all, that's what the audience have paid for.

Bertram
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Quote Originally Posted by (bertramH @ Nov. 28 2006, 02:46)
    Bottom line: dont fill dead air with jokes, fill it with music. After all, that's what the audience have paid for.

Bertram
    AMEN, brother!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Steve Bauer
    Daphne Alabama (near Mobile)

7. The following members say thank you to BauerHaus for this post:

This is good stuff.

Just watched "a prarie home companion" the movie.. DVD...
    the Dusty and Lefty song 'Bad Jokes'
    written by Garrison Keeler is a hoot.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Banter or talk is not just to fill space, but to keep the show moving. We start by playing 3-5 songs one right after another, then say hello and introduce the band. We don't talk between every song, but only when an introduction is needed or someone is changing instuments or strings. If our guitar player breaks a string, it's time for a fiddle tune, or a fiddle banjo duet. I tell some jokes, but when the others try they usually mess up the punch lines. One guy gives the same introduction every time he plays the song, and even I get tired of it after a few years. I tend to do it a little different each time, but I have experience with extemporaneous speaking. We do talk to the audience like a conversation, and the personal touch works.

Sometimes audience members (fans?) start talking to you, and I don't like to get too involved with one person - but some people like to be recognized. I once introduced our guitar player as "a fine example of a Homo sapiens," and a guy in back stood up, threw up his hands, yelled something, and walked out; I laughingly had to comment that he wouldn't have come if he knew we were those kind of people. It got a laugh, but I wasn't trying to insult him. It was just a funny situation. Just like playing music, watch the audience to see if they like what you say. We all say things that don't sound as cool when they come out as they did in our heads. Just like a bad note, keep going. You are there to play music, so talk enough to get your information out and keep the show moving. Talk too much and you are a folksinger.

Well, I said I was "on the side" (CB Lingo, remember?) for a while but I just can't resist....

As a "preachers' kid" I spent most all of my life from about 5, "on stage" as it were. Over time I've learned about nerves and public speaking and all that.

I support the statement, as I quoted in my last post, that being a "natural" is important. Yet I know that almost anyone can be charismatic on stage if trained, unless there is some major impediment standing in their way.

I site for contrast, a group like Dry Branch Fire Squad, and Ron Thomason. Great group, and great music, and Ron is Ron.

When I listen to DBFS's CD's I skip over Rons' comments. Why? Because I heard them already. If every show was a reflection or recollection of a previous one, then I'd not want to go to the show again. Thus the need for "fresh" material, as well as charisma.

Also, with regard to being on a stage, and relating to the audience: when I was first starting out on the guitar, (now fourty years into it), I had much feeling and expression on my face, and in my voice, because I was feeling it from way down deep inside. Yet, a few years ago, I had someone close to me, tell me that my face didn't reflect the connection to the music,and I wasn't singing it with the same heart, and that's what they liked the most about my performances.

I found that it is not only what is "said" on stage, but moreso, the way we express ourselves in our music. It isn't the jokes or clever bantor that keeps folks interested as much as the presentation of the whole package.

If "The Cable Guy" always only told the same jokes, I'd loose interest in just looking at the same sleeveless shirt and baseball cap.

It's a whole package.
    -Soupy1957

Breedlove Crossover FF SB
    “The weather was so bad even my iPhone was shaking!”
    -SDC

In the last band i played in,our Guitar player said he'd discovered a way of getting a song over.He'd pick a lady in the audience a sing his song to her & hopefully the audience would
    pick up on that.One night he did this & during the song actually winked at the young lady in question - she slipped him the finger & he totally cracked up,along with the audience & the rest of the band.One small incident for him & one great laugh for the rest of us.He stopped doing after that.
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

I was surprised that someone earlier on this thread commented about Nickel Creek being silent - they've had some great moments in banter throughout the years! Such as...

Chris: This next song Sean and I wrote for two mandolins and unplayed bass.

Audience Member: Play Freebird!
    Chris: You shall be hung!

Sean: All the drunks in the back just...pretend you're not.
    Drunk: F*** YOU!
    Chris: You are not doing a very good job, sir.
    ~MJE~

...where can a sick man go...

-The Arsenal-
    Rover RM-75, Wurlitzer Console Upright, Epiphone EF-500RCCE, Gemeinhardt 3SHB, Scherl & Roth R300E4, Apple Creek ACD-100

String-Bending Heretic mandocrucian's Avatar

Here's some rehearsal ideas: King Of Comedy

Default Re: On stage banter

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    IMHO: Don't think of it as "banter." It's -- to use a weird analogy -- like jewelry: a "setting" for the music, that will show it off to the best advantage. The between-song conversation with the audience should be designed to focus their attention on the next musical number, and to prepare them in terms of mood. You don't get 'em guffawing in the aisles and then strike up Memories of Mother and Dad. You want your audience relaxed, attentive, friendly and alert.
    In every band or group in which I've played (close to a dozen now, I guess) I've been either the "front guy" or the "co-front guy." So I've probably made every mistake possible -- and that doesn't count all the goofs I've pulled as a solo performer. I've been long-winded, inappropriately facetious, inappropriately sentimental, overly terse, hostile, inattentive, and just stupid. I've used profanity when I shouldn't, ridiculed audience members and got them mad, belittled my band-mates, introduced the wrong song, acted angry and sullen and goofy.
    So -- don't do any of those things! Here are some (really modest) suggestions:
    [1] Don't assume your audience knows a lot about your music; don't be afraid to talk about styles, instrumentation, song selection, how and where you found a song, what its background and history are.
    [2] Personal stuff -- up to a point -- can be positive. How the band got together, where you come from, what you do for a living if you don't do music, how long you've been playing, why you like bluegrass/klezmer/Celtic/jazz/whatever.
    [3] When the introduction is longer than the song, that's generally a bad thing (I make an exception for Utah Phillips here).
    [4] Audiences soon catch on when you're working from a prepared script. If you have a standard introduction that you always use with a song, consider reworking it at some point. A marvellous performer, Bill Staines, almost always uses the same stories to introduce certain songs, and if you've seen him several times, you start almost filling in the words ahead of time. That's not the mood you want your audience in.
    [5] Never show anger, disappointment, or hostility if you can help it (Michael Richards, are you listening?).
    [6] Be, or become, sensitive to the reaction of your audience. I work with seniors, developmentally disabled, children, schools, historical societies, etc. etc., and I think I've learned to "read" an audience pretty well (usually). Some love it when you shmooze with them; others say "shut up and play your mandolin." It generally only takes a couple songs to get the mood of the room.
    [7] Work things out with your band-mates ahead of time, so they have some idea of what you're planning to do. Don't contradict each other ("We learned this song from the Bluegrass Cardinals." "No, it was IIIrd Tyme Out."). Good interaction among band members is pleasing to the audience, but don't try to out-talk each other, step on each other's "lines," or publicly reveal any tensions, personality clashes etc. If this is the last show before you break up (been there!), don't let on.
    [8] Be yourself. (Who else can you be?) Taking on a "stage persona" works if you're Minnie Pearl, but most of the rest of us aren't that good at it. If you're naturally humorous, go for it. If you tend toward understatement, use that. Only make sure it "meshes" with the other band members.
    [9] Finally (jeez, 'bout time), selecting a "spokesperson" because he's the only one who doesn't have to change instruments, may not be the best criterion. I change instruments more than anyone else in my bands, and still act as "front man," because, despite all the mistakes outlined above, I've gotten fairly good at it.

Long-winded? Who, me? Hope there's a thing or two you can use...
    ...never have understood, or agreed with, the "changing instruments" scene ? IMHO all band members should play the same instrument while on stage,...changing instruments is like 'swapping horses' in the middle of a stream !,...-a very tacky thing to do !

===========

Back in the late 70's I saw Harry Chapin, twice - it was the best on-stage-banter lesson(s) I ever had. To this day I am not a very good player, the songs I write are passable at best, and I am an admittedly lousy singer - but I do a good job of connecting with an audience, and that is the ONLY thing that has allowed me to keep performing for the past 25 years.

Go online and check out a live Harry Chapin concert . . . it worked for me.

17. The following members say thank you to MikeZito for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by mando-tech View Post
    ...never have understood, or agreed with, the "changing instruments" scene ? IMHO all band members should play the same instrument while on stage,...changing instruments is like 'swapping horses' in the middle of a stream !,...-a very tacky thing to do !
    Sorry it bothers you. Our band plays a variety of music. I play mostly mandolin but there are songs where a standard mandolin isn't suitable for our particular arrangement. I may switch to a fiddle or even a lap steel. All the instruments are in the "ready" mode so there's virtually no delay. The audience isn't as concerned about the changing of the instruments as they are about the quality of the music.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

19. The following members say thank you to DHopkins for this post:

My bands have always swapped instruments and the audience has always enjoyed it. It keeps it light.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

21. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by mando-tech View Post
    Another county heard from.

Opinions are widespread; everyone's got one. How you organize your band -- or your individual performance -- is surely your choice. I play a bunch of instruments; in my Celtic band, e.g., I play mandola, octave mandolin, and concertina. Oh, and one or two tunes on guitar. As a solo performer, doing for example seniors' programs, it's banjo, guitar, ukulele and harmonica.

The OP's question, I believe, was about using "banter" to cover the inter-song time when one or more members were changing instruments. This process can take 30 seconds, perhaps, which is not "tacky" IMHO, if the result is more varied, more entertaining music.

When Earl Scruggs put down his banjo and picked up the guitar, to play on gospel quartet numbers, doubt anyone in the audience jumped up and shouted "Tacky! Pick up yore damn banjer, Earl!" But as I said, everyone's got an opinion...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

I play mandolin, guitar, bass and percussion. Unfortunately the mandolin doesn’t always add the most to the song, so I play what fits best and adds the most to a song. Im pretty good at the quick change, so it doesn’t really delay the performance, especially if someone gives a short intro to the song. I find it interesting when a band switches instruments. Don’t go to a buddy miller show if you don’t like switching instruments.
    Living’ in the Mitten

24. The following members say thank you to Steve Ostrander for this post:

Blog Entries

The right amount of on stage banter can make a show.

On stage banter between every song is a downer for me. Play a few tunes back to back. Even if you have to play an extra song in the set. I load up YT live clips and the music doesn't start for 2-3 minutes. If I'm in audience I'm on my phone surfing the cafe probably

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Interesting thread! Thanks to mando-tech for resurrecting it, if only to preach a bit.

I was disappointed that the links were too old to work, but it was great reading all the advice here. Lately, I've enjoyed watching any Jethro Burns performances (post-Homer type performances), and found some gems for breaking the ice with an audience from Master Jethro. H & J had a great old corny comedy act that attracted me in my childhood, they were hilarious, but I've only discovered since taking up mandolin how good Jethro was at warming up audiences solo.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Last year, I was playing solo and used a Jethro-ism. I think his humor is cool, and fairly safe, most folk today wouldn't have heard - or else remember - his schtick.

So I stepped up and told the audience, "You know, I always get nervous and mess up my first song when I play for people - so tonight, I'm going to try something different. I'm just going to go straight into my second tune!"

Well, that worked for me, I got a few chuckles as I lit into playing and singing, and I kept the audience's attention. But later in that show, I really struggled with a tune, and when I was done, a wise guy sitting in front says, "I suppose that was your first!"
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Great stuff in this thread. I would also add: Read your audience. Sherri and I have been married for 27 years and sometimes the married couple patter really clicks. When it does run with it.

Other nights..not so much so we do more playing and less talking.

Maybe it's us being on or not. Maybe it's just the audience's preference. Either way if we pay attention we can give them what they want...to the best of our ability
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

Saw the Punch Brothers last Tuesday night, and was truly impressed with how their stage presence and banter has grown since I last saw them 8 or 9 years ago. Live from Here has really honed Chris’s delivery and, I think, having to come up with new stuff weekly for that show has added variety to banter. I saw him solo just before the LFH gig, and he was awesome, but was still using some of the same banter from several years ago. There were none of the old jokes Tuesday night. Pickles has gotten much better in his dry, funny man, zinger delivering role, and was hilarious Tuesday. Their interplay was outstanding. They also would play 3-4 songs straight between chatter sessions, which I liked as well.

The only possible “mistake” they made in a fairly conservative southern crowd was making a couple of subtle but poignant Trump jokes leading into “Jumbo,” after which several people in the crowd (not many, but at least 4 on our row) got up and left. I thought it was one of the funnier moments of the night, but I’m also someone who is almost apolitical at this point (they all annoy me) and feels everyone has the right to believe what they want and support who they want, and can handle it when people disagree with me. Not everyone, particularly at opposite poles of the political spectrum, can say the same.

Regarding switching instruments, I typically don’t do it within a song, but I head up our youth praise band, and I play guitar, bass, mando, mandocello, and occasionally banjo depending on what the song needs. I’d rather have the band sound its best than worry about being tacky. My willingness to humiliate myself far exceeds my talent level
    Chuck

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Nick Forster of Hot Rize has the audience banter thing down. Personable , story telling , well spoken ….. jokes with the other band members never at their expense. It just feels comfortable.
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

===========

+1 on Jethro (or Homer & Jethro) for their stage banter - it was terrific . . . but, unfortunately, I am not that funny (at least that's what my kids always tell me). Find what you are good at and comfortable with, and then work at it.