Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: On stage banter

I am a "comfortable" stage presense with my Mandolin. I.e. I don't mind playing solos, chops etc. I have no isseus being infront of the crowd. One thing I notice about my Band is that we have too much "dead air" I think its going to be up to me to fix that as much of the dead air revolves around the other three guys switchin instruments on stage. (I don't swithc very often) That being said, I am only an aspiring vocalist and don't sing. I have a microphone.. but that's to slowy get ove rmy fear of the great metal wind screen...

So... the question... how do I practice banter? What should go between songs? What types of jokes work? I am looking for things that others may do... or ideas of how to get better (and more comfotable)

Ask the crowd if they like robots, then tell them they better because the next song is going to totally be about robots. (in reality the next song isn't)

Blog Entries

I've seen some bands where the banter is a prepared, rehearsed thing, and I find it mildly entertaining the first time around, but not the second time through. The Dillards did the same shtick for years, and boy, did that get old.

I just generally talk to the audience like you would if you were in the living room with them. If something funny happened to you that day, you can relate it to them. Sometimes the audience will give you something to build on, whether it's a heckler or whatever. Just keep it upbeat, and don't try to tick 'em off.

One thing, however . . . if you're not a humorous person, stay away from prepared jokes. You'll get more groans than laughs.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fredfrank For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Contact your local community theatre and sign up for acting/improv lessons. Take a toastmaster's course. Public speaking and presentation is a skill developed over time and practice. There are naturals out there, but even they could benefit from honing their skills.
    Jason Anderson

"...while a great mandolin is a wonderful treat, I would venture to say that there is always more each of us can do with the tools we have available at hand. The biggest limiting factors belong to us not the instruments." Paul Glasse

Stumbling Towards Competence

6. The following members say thank you to jasona for this post:

If you ever have the chance, attend an Old School Frieght Train show. They are some of the funniest guys out there, not to mention some of the best musicians out there too. None of it is really rehersed, lots of just rambling and making fun of different members of the band or telling stories of their adventures on the road.

Be natural. If you're not a theatrical person, if you're not comfortable hamming it up, then don't. You don't need to be a comedy act. You can introduce songs, talk about the band, tell stories, do whatever needs to to be done to keep the audience's attention until you're ready for the next peice, but you don't need them rolling in the aisles. The biggest thing is to not think about it too much. The improv theater classes is a good idea, if you're interested in that sort of thing. I did that when I was a kid and never looked back. I love environmental theater. It's all about being yourself though.

Come up with a story intro for many of your songs, and personalize it by making it about you or the band, or ancestors, or neighbors, with a few humorous comments in each one. Don't approach them like a punch line joke, but rather just a short story. "The Rolling Stones heard us play this song at the local VFW Hall last week, and Mick liked it so much he wants to play it at all the shows in their next US tour. We really didn't want to sell them our song, and suggested that we just travel with them as their opening act. They said no to that, but that we could go along and help them get on and off stage with their walkers." Something like that just fills the voids between songs, and might get a few chuckles to boot, and doesn't really detract from your main purpose. You can also have several different ideas that can go with each story so that it isn't like a memorized speech. "They offered to let us be their opening act on their next world tour, but we just couldn't see giving up our greeter jobs at Walmart." Watch your audience, and pick out two or three people who are enjoying the show and just do the banter to them. Don't take it personally if someone doesn't react the way you are hoping; they may be reacting to a bad cup of coffee. As far as requests go, if we didn't know a song, we would say something like "we did Rocky Top one time, and Sonny Osborne told us that if we ever did it again, he would have the cast of the Sopranos come by and break our kneecaps." They would usually laugh and thank us anyway.

Blog Entries

Figure many of the people who are listening won't know the names of the songs in your set list, much less their origins. You could talk about those and how your version is based on someone elses or how it's different.

Be yourselves. An audience likes to feel like it is involved with the show and your friend. Talk to them as if they were, respectfully! See the thread on rude band member!!!
    Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Banter between band members can be a very mixed blessing. I've seen a few where the band were clearly having a great time, and thought they were being wonderfully witty and amusing, but it was all "in jokes" amongst themselves and left the audience right out of it. Audience reaction reflected this.
    Tom

Yeah, the same jokes get old. Williams & Clark is an example. I think the world of Blake, but man, he tends to tell the same jokes (funny once) over and over. The original Seldom Scene had good in-between-song patter: spontaneous, mostly clever and heart-warming, and sometimes downright hilarious.

The Seldom Scene is a good source for this, also the Country Gentlemen. THe true master of it though is Johnny Hartford. Try to find a live show of his, even better if you can get a solo show. Pure entertainment.

russell
    Bulldog F #5

Shut up and play! I know I'm not really answering your question, but the best shows I've been to the performers said next to nothing (Gillian Welch, Nickel Creek, Bob Dylan) and the WORST shows I've been to they yammered the whole time. I heard the Great Bear Trio recently and I was really impressed by their musicianship, but yak yak yak. Long stories about how a song came to get it's name (every song and it's not like it was interesting), and pontification about why Swedish folk music is superior to Celtic, and blah blah blah.

It really gets wretched at Christian music concerts. Lots of preaching. Lots of "...the Lord gave me this song" and lots of repeating the lyrics that you just sang (or are about to sing).

Oh, there was a huge dead air space in the Gillian Welch concert in which she was tuning her banjo or some such (you know how that can go on for weeks) and she said to Rawlings, "You know, you COULD SAY something." He just stood their and smiled she kept tuning and then they played the next song. By the way, if you happen to know that exchange was just canned schtick, please, don't spoil the illusion.

I recommend rhetorical economy.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rhetoric For This Useful Post:

I like the shut up and play idea, but unfortunatly, between tuning, and the instrument switching (I didn't realize how long it took to switch instruments... jeez) that's not always possible. Thanks for all the ideas.... keep em coming as well. Its good to hear different views on this subject.

IMHO: Don't think of it as "banter." It's -- to use a weird analogy -- like jewelry: a "setting" for the music, that will show it off to the best advantage. The between-song conversation with the audience should be designed to focus their attention on the next musical number, and to prepare them in terms of mood. You don't get 'em guffawing in the aisles and then strike up Memories of Mother and Dad. You want your audience relaxed, attentive, friendly and alert.
    In every band or group in which I've played (close to a dozen now, I guess) I've been either the "front guy" or the "co-front guy." So I've probably made every mistake possible -- and that doesn't count all the goofs I've pulled as a solo performer. I've been long-winded, inappropriately facetious, inappropriately sentimental, overly terse, hostile, inattentive, and just stupid. I've used profanity when I shouldn't, ridiculed audience members and got them mad, belittled my band-mates, introduced the wrong song, acted angry and sullen and goofy.
    So -- don't do any of those things! Here are some (really modest) suggestions:
    [1] Don't assume your audience knows a lot about your music; don't be afraid to talk about styles, instrumentation, song selection, how and where you found a song, what its background and history are.
    [2] Personal stuff -- up to a point -- can be positive. How the band got together, where you come from, what you do for a living if you don't do music, how long you've been playing, why you like bluegrass/klezmer/Celtic/jazz/whatever.
    [3] When the introduction is longer than the song, that's generally a bad thing (I make an exception for Utah Phillips here).
    [4] Audiences soon catch on when you're working from a prepared script. If you have a standard introduction that you always use with a song, consider reworking it at some point. A marvellous performer, Bill Staines, almost always uses the same stories to introduce certain songs, and if you've seen him several times, you start almost filling in the words ahead of time. That's not the mood you want your audience in.
    [5] Never show anger, disappointment, or hostility if you can help it (Michael Richards, are you listening?).
    [6] Be, or become, sensitive to the reaction of your audience. I work with seniors, developmentally disabled, children, schools, historical societies, etc. etc., and I think I've learned to "read" an audience pretty well (usually). Some love it when you shmooze with them; others say "shut up and play your mandolin." It generally only takes a couple songs to get the mood of the room.
    [7] Work things out with your band-mates ahead of time, so they have some idea of what you're planning to do. Don't contradict each other ("We learned this song from the Bluegrass Cardinals." "No, it was IIIrd Tyme Out."). Good interaction among band members is pleasing to the audience, but don't try to out-talk each other, step on each other's "lines," or publicly reveal any tensions, personality clashes etc. If this is the last show before you break up (been there!), don't let on.
    [8] Be yourself. (Who else can you be?) Taking on a "stage persona" works if you're Minnie Pearl, but most of the rest of us aren't that good at it. If you're naturally humorous, go for it. If you tend toward understatement, use that. Only make sure it "meshes" with the other band members.
    [9] Finally (jeez, 'bout time), selecting a "spokesperson" because he's the only one who doesn't have to change instruments, may not be the best criterion. I change instruments more than anyone else in my bands, and still act as "front man," because, despite all the mistakes outlined above, I've gotten fairly good at it.

Long-winded? Who, me? Hope there's a thing or two you can use...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

18. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Finally a subject I can comment on (my mando playing is very much still in the beginner stages)

I have been a pro /semi pro muso for over 25 years, I think there is a great need to make contact with your audience and a bit of banter or a good story/intro is the best way to do it.

There are a few rules.

1.If you can’t do it naturally leave it to someone else.
    2.If you are not good off the cuff plan what you ( or who) are going to say.
    3.Have a few foolproof comments jokes or other, up your sleeve for unplanned delays (broken strings etc).
    4.Review what works and keep it, If It don’t drop it.
    5.Take turns on who will say something. This is good to allow your front man to have a breather, change instruments or other.
    6.List on the set list who will do the intro or make space for a story or comment then you have a plan to work with.
    7.Stick to the plan.
    8.Don’t make any comments that could be taken the wrong way, and don’t argue with drunks
    9.If you can’t do it naturally leave it to someone else.

Enjoy this important part of a performance the more you do it the better it feels, People like to be acknowledged, make time to talk to them between sets etc make an effort to find out who is in the room and use it in your set.

I love it.

Rosco

20. The following members say thank you to Rosco for this post:

Keep it simple and spontaneous.
    I like what Clear river did at our show. Several spontaneous jabs and a story that they kept mentioning one way or another (grandpaw) throughout.

Clear River & Grandpaw

Write down the half of other peoples cell phone conversations that you hear , or the guy who is talking to himself without a cell phone , theyre often difficult to distinguish between .
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

"There are a few rules.

1.If you can’t do it naturally leave it to someone else."

AMEN!
    -Soupy1957

Breedlove Crossover FF SB
    “The weather was so bad even my iPhone was shaking!”
    -SDC

Quote Originally Posted by (Soupy1957 @ Nov. 27 2006, 06:47)
    "There are a few rules.

1.If you can’t do it naturally leave it to someone else."

# AMEN!
    # # #-Soupy1957
    Yes and no. Actually very, very few people do it "naturally". To some it comes easier that to others, sure. But even then, people have to work on it, see what works and what doesn´t and start to get a feeling for different crowds. Initially I have not been comfortable with MCing and now I do it on a regular basis. To a degree (becoming a decent MC) you can actually learn it. Becoming a GREAT MC, that is a gift, just like becoming a great player. But then, the great players all paid their dues and so have the great MCs.
    Who am I and if yes, how many?

Good advice above... also, be careful not to over-introduce a piece. Too often, I've seen performers tell so much about a piece and what it's about that it left nothing new for the audience to experience in HEARING the song! This is especially true re: songs (with words). If you tell so much that the lyrics are redundant by the time the audience hears the song, it's WAY overkill.
    Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    Phoenix Neoclassical #256
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If you're gonna walk on thin ice, you might as well dance!

You know it's funny you should mention banter... or patter as some people say. I've been playing and singing for most of my life and I find that it has onlt been the last 5 years or so that when I go to a concert, show or whatever I not only watch the music, but I watch the presentation and rapport with the audience.

I definitely think there is skill involved but the best people at this are the naturals. The same peole who are alwasy the life of the party and just naturally funny.

There are those too who try to be funny or are too long winded and fail miserably at connecting with the audience.

I truely believe that the more you are "out there" and doing it the better you get at it. I have some memorized stuff I always use but most of the talking I do is something funny that happened to me recently of something interesting about the song I am about to play.

I keep it minimal because when I watch someone I like it minimal. It's all about winning the audience over and making them like you.

One thing to be prepared for is the occasional heckler. This doesn't happen at too many shows but if you play any bars or taverns expect the unexpected and remember that you have the mic, they don't. If the heckler gets to you, it will be obvious and you will lose the control which can easily impact the rest of the show. There are nice ways to handle this sort of thing without causing ill will, but you need to watch how others handle it and find a way to add your own take to it. No need to be cruel, but you need to be strong with that kind of issue. It happens to the best as well the rest. Been there a few times over the years and never had it get ugly yet.

if it can't be relaxed and semi unique each time, don't do it. nothing wrong with a song about a story, but if you do the same thing each time with any repeat customers, they will get bored of it.
    sam bush is a great example. loads of fun and relaxed in his conversational style, but i've been lucky enough to see him 4 times, and each time- the same rap and humor (the crazy train intro was funny1-2 xs but then -booooooooring).
    have fun with it!

I've taught some public speaking, and I facilitate seminars at the college I work for. I'm not an expert, but I've been doing presentations for a while.
    I think for performers, there's a lot of things NOT to do. Do NOT insult your audience. Don't talk to each other away from the mike where the audience can't hear you. Don't throw insulting jokes at the expense of the audience. Any ad-lib one liners should be to each other or yourself. Humility is admirable. "Brevity is the soul of wit." So don't tell long winded jokes. You don't have to tell jokes at all. As a matter of fact, if you do, be prepared for them to flop. If you try to be funny and you're not, it can take the wind out of your sail quickly if you're not expecting it. Keep talking, even if it's about the weather. Compliment each other. Talk about how the band got together, your day jobs, practice, putting the set together, but you're right, dead air is not good. You'll lose the audience. Involve the audience. If someone in the front row says something worthy to respond to, repeat it into the mike so the rest of the crowd is engaged. Have your songs ready to go. Practice them in order so you don't have to wait forever for the banjo capo.
    A part time band to model: The Seldom Scene! Someone is always talking into a mike. They talk about current events, and they don't assume their audience won't "get it." They joke with each other, in front of the mikes, about their day jobs. They talk about the songs and what they mean to them. They involve the audience as well as anyone. Remember Duffey, "bless your heart and all your vital organs." They have songs in groups of 3, one song to the next without a break.
    One of the great full time bands, but poorest talkers: Ricky Skaggs Band. Nobody talks into the mike but Ricky. Same long winded stories told over and over. Sometimes he talks so long that his band starts talking to each other...not good. Old jokes similar to Hee Haw (although I liked Hee Haw ). I've heard him insult front row talkers with sarcasm that a few think is funny, but most don't. He throws little sarcastic remarks at band members, but no one responds into the mike. You can't get away with that stuff unless your music is that exceptional. Most important: BE ENTHUSIASTIC about what you're doing. It's contagious. You're audience will be drawn in by it, even if you mess up the music AND the talking.

30. The following members say thank you to Bob Simmers for this post:

Good advice here.

One of the worst bands I have seen in front of the mic (irrespective of music) is Larry Sparks. No charisma, musician interaction, wit or charm. I was actually embarrassed for them the last time I saw them.