Thread: Eva Scow

Blog Entries

This is interesting. I'm a fan of jazz guitarist Anthony Wilson. He has a new CD out and California mandolinist Eva Scow makes an appearance on a cut. Haven't heard this recording yet but it sounds like a good enough excuse to get out and find it since I have a couple of days off. Scow is fairly well known in Brazilian circles and appears on the latest Tone Poets compilation from Acoustic Disc. Wilson is currently (to my knowledge) still the guitarist for vocalist Diana Krall who also makes a guest appearance on the CD. Congrats to Eva. Bright future ahead of that girl.

They must have met at the Mandolin Symposium....Eva has been there the past few years and 2 years ago,
    when John Monteleone was teaching luthiery, Anthony showed up. He plays a beautiful Monty Archtop &
    was driving John to LA after the Symposium. At the last night jam I recall Anthony on stage with Grisman
    playing a cool duet. Eva is a Mike Marshall discovery, this young lady is a Choro phenom. In fact she
    can also be heard on Acoustic Disc's Tone Poets.

Eva, IMHO based on the little i've heard of her, is one of the very very few non native players that really get the choro. And she's cute.

Mandolins:
    Mid-mo M11 (#1855)
    Ovation MM68 (#490231)
    New flute CD:
    Wellsprings 2: Joyful!

Eva Scow is a brilliant young bandolim player, and she more than gets choro. At a recent gig at Anna's Jazz Island in Berkeley with her quartet (bandolim, two Brazilian seven-string guitarists, and the brilliant Brian Rice on percussion--usually pandeiro), Eva was joined by a half-dozen of the best contemporary choro players from Brazil who dropped in on their way home from a two-week Brazilina music camp. Mike Marshall was there and sat in, too. Eva more kept up with them all--she played with complete authority, grace, and style, and she was definitely leading the ensemble. She is far and away the most convincing American proponent of the style that I've heard.

http://www.evascow.com/

Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

What i said. Although i'm not sure how you can more than get something. Perhaps she gets it and then gives some back?
    Mandolins:
    Mid-mo M11 (#1855)
    Ovation MM68 (#490231)
    New flute CD:
    Wellsprings 2: Joyful!

Eva conducted a very nice choro workshop this last April at the SF Mando Fest. #Concise, poised, and very competent.

April 23, 2006.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1040024__Large_.JPG 
Views:	232 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	19605  

"Cochichando" (from the Tone Poets CD) had it's own playlist on my iPod a couple of weekends ago. #I was trying to learn it thru osmosis. # #No doubt about it, she's an inspired player.

Quote Originally Posted by (glauber @ Nov. 09 2006, 12:07)
    What i said. Although i'm not sure how you can more than get something. Perhaps she gets it and then gives some back?
    Glauber,

It's just a turn of phrase.

In my enthusiasm for Ms. Scow I was just trying to underscore your point, not undermine it. I guess I would argue that while there are quite a few American players who get choro--understand the rhythmic subtleties, phrasing, ornaments, know the repertoire, and so forth--and do a credible job of playing it, I think she has indeed taken her playing and music a step or two further. On the night I mentioned, for example, I have to say that she outshone the estimable Mike Marshall, another player who strikes me as someone who gets it. So, yes, I think she "gets it and gives some back."

Regards,

PK

Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net