Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Tortis picks

DON'T flex the Tortis pick and DO wipe it down after use, even if you just rub it on your jeans. Treated well they do last.

Jerry: Glad to see someone else out there uses "Buckstips!" I had an old mandolin strap that I was able to cut sections out of, and use in the same fashion.

Was getting tired of loosing those rubber baby bumper round thingies.

-Soupy1957
    Breedlove Crossover FF SB
    “The weather was so bad even my iPhone was shaking!”
    -SDC

I not only use them, I'm the one that sells them. I got your PM's.

I have a Tortis, but my favorite pick is a Dawg. But, I go back and forth. Anybody know which Tortise would have the thickness and the bevel closest to a Dawg. I think a Dawg made out of the Tortise material would be ideal.
    thanks
    Ed

Registered User Nathan Kellstadt's Avatar

It would either be the "mondo" or the "E", they seem very similar. I myself have been wondering which of the two more closely resembles the Dawg/Golden Gate profile. Anyone out there both of these.

Quote Originally Posted by (om21ed @ Dec. 03 2006, 19:09)
    I have a Tortis, but my favorite pick is a Dawg. But, I go back and forth. Anybody know which Tortise would have the thickness and the bevel closest to a Dawg. I think a Dawg made out of the Tortise material would be ideal.
    thanks
    Ed
    Heavy would probably do the job. Probably the mondo shape would be close, but you could take any of the large triangles and shape it like a Dawg. I'd not get the speed bevel if I wanted mine to resemble a Dawg.
    "I thought I knew a lot about music. Then you start digging and the deeper you go, the more there is."~John Mellencamp

"Theory only seems like rocket science when you don't know it. Once you understand it, it's more like plumbing!"~John McGann

"IT'S T-R-E-M-O-L-O, dangit!!"~Me

i bought a tortis mondo medium at gruhn's and it was almost identical in size and shape to the golden gate dawg-style picks; i liked the style e's too because they are almost the same as the mondo shape, just more rounded.

the style e and the mondo heavy are the closest to the feel of the real dawg pick, from what i could tell.
    Wes
    "i gotta fever...and the only prescription is more cowbell!!"

'87 Flatiron A5-JR/'25 Gibson A-JR

Jerry: a question (or perhaps suggestion) about the Buckstrips..

As I indicated, I use sections from an old mandolin strap as a dampner on my mandos and it seems to work well. However..

After the weaving of the leather is done, typically I am either "over" or "under" the outside "G" and the outside "E" strings, (more typically "under") and I'm wondering if I am loosing some dampning there on those two outside strings?

Suppose the material used in the Buckstrip had a tiny piece of velcro on the ends to allow some sort of fold-over to ensure that the outside strings get dampened?

Perhaps this is unnecessary, since the issue is overtones that reverberate between pairs, yes? Or is that not so?

-Soupy1957
    Breedlove Crossover FF SB
    “The weather was so bad even my iPhone was shaking!”
    -SDC

♪☮♫ Roll away the dew ♪☮♫ Dan Krhla's Avatar

I use a soft leather section 2X as long as my strings are wide, start at the Ds, around the Gs, back thru the Ds, thru the As, around the Es and back thru the As, ending up just under where I started at the Ds. Works great. dunno if you can get the buckstrips twice as long, that would prob work too.

I can post a pic when I get home if anyone wants. It works great and looks a little neater...
    do good things

I can make the Buckstrips whatever length you need.

I just got my "mondo" and it's pretty close to the Dawg pick. I'll post pics side by side tonight for size and thickness.
    do good things

I think the size of the Tortis E picks may have changed some. I bought one last March that was more like the size of the larger triangle picks but with rounded corners like the mando/Dawg/Golden Gates.

Steve Perry
    Steve Perry
    Sumi SF5 Birdseye

"Quit thinkin'... Just play"

I just received two "E" picks and LOVE THEM. Night and day difference tonally over my former favorites (Wegen M150 and Dunlop P207). The clarity is fantastic, they're louder, and I'm completely impressed. Consider me sold on them, which I'll admit is a surprise.

YMMV,
    Love to all,
    Ken
    Less talk, more pick.

Ken,
    Is the E model larger (in dimension, not thickness) than the M150?
    thanks
    anders
    1988 R.L. Givens A3 #429
    1925 "The Ace" Ludwig Tenor Banjo

www.myspace.com/andersbergstrommusic

Quote Originally Posted by (Steve Perry @ Dec. 04 2006, 13:16)
    I think the size of the Tortis E picks may have changed some. I bought one last March that was more like the size of the larger triangle picks but with rounded corners like the mando/Dawg/Golden Gates.

Steve Perry
    My Golden Gates are smaller than the Dawgs I got at around the same time. Have they gotten larger to be closer to Dawg-sized?
    "I thought I knew a lot about music. Then you start digging and the deeper you go, the more there is."~John Mellencamp

"Theory only seems like rocket science when you don't know it. Once you understand it, it's more like plumbing!"~John McGann

"IT'S T-R-E-M-O-L-O, dangit!!"~Me

Quote Originally Posted by
    Quote (Steve Perry @ Dec. 04 2006, 13:16)
    I think the size of the Tortis E picks may have changed some. #I bought one last March that was more like the size of the larger triangle picks but with rounded corners like the mando/Dawg/Golden Gates.

Steve Perry

My Golden Gates are smaller than the Dawgs I got at around the same time. Have they gotten larger to be closer to Dawg-sized?
    I've not had any of the Dawgs but I do have the Golden Gates. #The E that I have is larger than the GG... about the same size as a large triangle pick.

Steve Perry
    Steve Perry
    Sumi SF5 Birdseye

"Quit thinkin'... Just play"

Quote Originally Posted by (om21ed @ Dec. 03 2006, 18:09)
    I have a Tortis, but my favorite pick is a Dawg. But, I go back and forth. Anybody know which Tortise would have the thickness and the bevel closest to a Dawg. #I think a Dawg made out of the Tortise material would be ideal.
    thanks
    Ed
    Same here. My E is a bit smaller than the Dawg. #I've been thinking of contacting Red Bear and seeing if I could have basically the E but the same size as a Dawg.

Had a hard time trying the Tortis due to the price, but once I did......

Dave
    I can't, I'm going to Winfield!

Mowry F
    Collings D1A, DS1A
    Gallagher Doc
    Hatfield Buckcreek
    Grandpa's old German fiddle
    None of the rest matter. Well, not as much.

Below is an image with my 2 picks. #I got a A Style "D", Gypsy Jazzer with a "Speed Bevel" and "Newman Grip"
    in jade and a "Mondo" in clown puke, heavy, with Speed Bevel

Also in the picture (for scale reference) a red Jim Dunlop Jazz III, a standard Fender, a Dawg, and a regular US quarter. #

Here is an attempt at a side view for thickness. #I have larger (more zoomable) versions of these 2 I can email, PM me if you want. #The green one (left) is gypsy jazzer thickness, the clown puke one (middle) is heavy thickness and the brown (looks black) (right) one is a Dawg pick. #There's also part of a US quarter to the far right fro scale. #Hope this helps. #PM if you need any other pics of picks! #

BTW, I *love* the gypsy jazzer (jade) pick. #Really helps my Eastman and even my NYPRO beater *S*I*N*G* out! #

do good things

Do the images above work now? Sorry for that :|
    do good things

Hi All, Dave from Red Bear Trading here. I just wanted to stop by and let everyone know how much I appreciate their business. I also would like to let everyone know that I am happy to make any custom shape or size picks you may want. To answer a few questions that have been coming up lately, my Mondo is loosely based on a "Dawg" pick that I have, and my style "E" is more or less based on a Golden Gate pick that I have around here somewhere. The corners on the Mondo have a bit bigger radius than those of the "E". In addition, people ask me how to store the picks. Well, here's my answer to that: (tried to do the image tag thing, but it wouldn't take)

http://www.redbeartrading.com/images/pick_fob_front.jpg
    Dave Skowron
    Master Picksmith

Dave, welcome to the Cafe. You already know that I'm a big fan of your Tortis picks. I hope others will come to appreciate them as well.

i take the dawg picks and bevel them on each side; they slide a lot smoother then. just make sure you use some really high-grit paper to polish them or they will sound scratchy.

Wes
    "i gotta fever...and the only prescription is more cowbell!!"

'87 Flatiron A5-JR/'25 Gibson A-JR

Quote Originally Posted by (MNDOLNR @ Dec. 04 2006, 17:58)
    Ken,
    Is the E model larger (in dimension, not thickness) than the M150? #
    thanks
    anders
    Sorry for not seeing this question earlier. The "E" is the exact shape of the Wegen M150.

HTH,
    Ken
    Less talk, more pick.

Quote Originally Posted by (cooper4205 @ Dec. 07 2006, 22:55)
    i take the dawg picks and bevel them on each side; they slide a lot smoother then. #just make sure you use some really high-grit paper to polish them or they will sound scratchy.
    multi-grit emery boards work great.
    ~Blue in the Face
    "playin' what we like, how we like"

~babblingfool.com

I just got a Taterbug Special from Mike Compton, it is the pick of my dreams.