Page 277 of 296 FirstFirst ... 177227252273274275276277278279280281 ... LastLast
Results 6,901 to 6,925 of 7397

Thread: Bowlbacks of Note

Default Re: Bowlbacks of Note

Curious bowlback sighted, again, on local Ukrainian listings. Odd/ugly inlay on top, but cool-looking bowl and tuners.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	374794524_1_1000x700_starinnaya-mandalina-harkov_rev002.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	189.6 KB 
ID:	149659 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	374794524_2_1000x700_starinnaya-mandalina-fotografii_rev002.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	214.9 KB 
ID:	149660

P.S. Found this article tracing other instruments with such inlays: http://memoriesoftheinnocentage.blog...y-on-boat.html

So it's likely that on the one I listed, someone had the bright idea of retouching the inlay *shakes head*

P.S. Any idea on what such an instrument would be worth?
    Last edited by Ausdoerrt; Sep-14-2016 at 7:14am.
    Mandolins: The Loar LM-220; Lyon & Healy Special A #103; Epiphone Mandobird VIII
    Violins: 19th century German Steiner copy; NS Design WAV 4; NS Design WAV 5; Reiter Alien II 7-string
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ausdoerrt

2. The following members say thank you to Ausdoerrt for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ausdoerrt View Post
    P.S. Any idea on what such an instrument would be worth?
    I have an idea of worth but I would probably say not much. That colorized inlay is not so exciting esp if if was done after-market and it looks like the neck might be warped. The bowl looks pretty good but this is at best a middle-grade mandolin. Puglisi mandolins are generally considered among the better of the Catania/Sicilian ones but I am not convinced that this is a Puglisi and even it it were one would still not be worth that much. I think you know that this would not be a treasure but, assuming it didn't need much work (like neck straightening) it might be a nice playble mandolin. I don't mind it if it were just pearl, but the inlay is pretty garish with that color.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Oh, I'm almost convinced that inlay was "retouched" by the looks of it, horrible job, too. I'm probably passing on it unless the seller drops the price significantly (which eventually happens to just about all old mandos sold 'round these parts)
    Mandolins: The Loar LM-220; Lyon & Healy Special A #103; Epiphone Mandobird VIII
    Violins: 19th century German Steiner copy; NS Design WAV 4; NS Design WAV 5; Reiter Alien II 7-string

I bought this mandolin, and I am so happy because is my first bowlback! To find mandolins in my country is impossible, a friend found this for me in Venezuela, where there is a mandolin culture. The label is Horugel, the name is in the headstock. I google it, but only found that this company is closed and made pianos. I think that maybe can find information here.

A luthier is making a bone nut and making a setup, the action is hight but playable, maybe is not the original bridge.

Name:	horugel_1.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	108.7 KB 
ID:	149698

Name:	mando2.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	397.1 KB 
ID:	149699

6. The following members say thank you to Jairo Ramos for this post:

This Kid Needs Practice Bill Clements's Avatar

Nice looking mandolin, Jairo!
    Welcome to the Cafe.
    "Music is the only noise for which one is obliged to pay." ~ Alexander Dumas

8. The following members say thank you to Bill Clements for this post:

I would guess that bridge should be positioned a little closer to the cant (bend) in the top.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

It's weird, but in that position is the 12th fret distance, and give a perfect entonation. My guess was the same, the bridge should be closer to the cant, as I saw in all bowlbacks mandolin in this forum. The luthier thinks the same. Maybe with the new bone nut, and the setup of the bridge for a better action, the intonation change and the bridge must be repositioned?

By the way, Mr. Garber, do you know something about this mandolin label (Horugel)?

Normally, the bridge placement should be further back but if it intonates properly where it is then that is correct.

I only know about Horugel what I found on a quick search: evidently a distributor selling imported mandolins in Germany. Some seem to be made in Korea and some in eastern Europe. Do you like the tone and quality of the mandolin?

I am very interested in the music of Colombia. I have listened to the accordion music from Vallenato for years. Do yo play any Colombian tunes on mandolin? I know there are some fretted instruments that are used in traditional music in your country, like tiple and bandola, tuned in fourths instead of fifths like the mandolin. A few are pictured here.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

12. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Yes, Mr. Garber, the sound and quality of the mandolin is good, is my first bowlback and I am very happy. I began studying music with the bandola, 16 strings, now the bandolas are made of 12 strings, and played a lot of our music. I am from the Andean zone of the country, so I began playing pasillos, bambucos, danzas, etc. The vallenato is from the north coast, atlantic coast of the country, the accordeon is a modern addition.

My great-grandfather was one of the developpers of the Tiple (Pedro Leon Franco), at the beginning of the XX century. He made popular the Bambuco in México, fighting with Pancho Villa.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jairo Ramos For This Useful Post:

Here's a "curiosity": a Soviet-made mandolin that actually doesn't look like crap. Obvious rip-off of Calace, too. "Lviv Musical Instrument Factory" label inside.

Name:	380420622_1_1000x700_mandolina-inkrustirovanaya-korosten.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	149868 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	380420622_4_1000x700_mandolina-inkrustirovanaya-hobbi-otdyh-i-sport.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	74.1 KB 
ID:	149869 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	380420622_7_1000x700_mandolina-inkrustirovanaya-.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	69.0 KB 
ID:	149870

I've heard that the Soviet musical instrument factories used to have "export models" of higher quality, but this is my first time seeing one on sale.

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Well, if you're going to rip someone off, Calace is a good place to start.

The bowl itself looks quite nice, particularly the aft end.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Here is another decent-looking one made for export by Chernigov factory in Ukraine (USSR back then).

Name:	6454498085_1.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	47.4 KB 
ID:	149886Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6454498085_7.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	149887Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6454498085.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	149888

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vic-victor For This Useful Post:

Muy cool double O Ring soundhole, Victor.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

I feel like I've seen this around the internets before, but that crazy rosette design never fails to impress

Both are after German prototypes, I think. I've seen German double ring one (the oval holes though). I would not be surprised if Ukrainian factories had their people travelling to Saxony factories for inspiration. It was quite possible during the Eastern-bloc days.

Here's a 1902 Model 5 Embergher in need of restoration on eBay Italy. You would think the seller would have taken some larger photos for such a highend mandolin.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	70.3 KB 
ID:	150316   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600-6.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	150317   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600-5.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	52.0 KB 
ID:	150318  

Name:	s-l1600-4.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	150319   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600-3.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	72.4 KB 
ID:	150320   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600-2.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	70.6 KB 
ID:	150321  

Name:	s-l1600-1.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	150322  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Here's a 1902 Model 5 Embergher in need of restoration on eBay Italy. You would think the seller would have taken some larger photos for such a highend mandolin.
    Sold for $4400.

Needs a major overhaul but certainly worth it. The maple bowl is fabulous to my eye. When I see the slotted headstock on these higher end Emberghers it only makes the bottle opener headstock versions appear even sillier to me. This design is pure elegance.

Mick

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

This very nice Embergher mandolin is on eBay currently, and the auction is running for another few days.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mandoline-19...0AAOSw44BYCgUb
    The mandolin appears to be all original too. Unfortunately, a few of its bowl staves are cracked, and that sort of repair would be very hard to conceal. (Tavy and I exchanged briefly a few thoughts about the mandolin.) Be that as it may, since we are looking at an upper spec Embergher in otherwise good condition, I'd expect it will sell for a pretty penny despite the broken bowl. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M-1.JPG 
Views:	163 
Size:	116.0 KB 
ID:	150679

Name:	M-2.JPG 
Views:	119 
Size:	140.9 KB 
ID:	150680
    Bona fide dilettante

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to plinkey For This Useful Post:

This looks in good shape but for the Humpty Dumpty back. The fluted maple Embergher bowls are really pretty.

Will be interesting to see what this sells for. No need for All the King's Men. John could get this back in primo condition.

Mick

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

Very pretty -- an orchestral No. 3, I think. Will be interesting to see how much it sells for.

Condition looks good except for the back. I would think that's difficult to repair invisibly, but a structurally sound repair should be possible as there aren't any particular forces acting on that part of the back. I wonder how one can get that sort of crack on the back (which is pretty sturdy) without any apparent damage to the more vulnerable parts of the mandolin.

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by brunello97 View Post
    This looks in good shape but for the Humpty Dumpty back. The fluted maple Embergher bowls are really pretty.

Will be interesting to see what this sells for. No need for All the King's Men. John could get this back in primo condition.
    Umm well... not sure about primo, but a decent player certainly, much harder to disguise repairs in broken maple ribs than rosewood ones.

As for how it got that way... maybe an argument with a mandola player?

29. The following members say thank you to Tavy for this post:

... or maybe a mandolin riot like this famous guitar scene (Carullists vs. Molinists)?

Name:	molinstsandcarullists.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	141.1 KB 
ID:	150690

31. The following members say thank you to Bruce Clausen for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tavy View Post
    Umm well... not sure about primo, but a decent player certainly, much harder to disguise repairs in broken maple ribs than rosewood ones.

As for how it got that way... maybe an argument with a mandola player?
    Well, John, the happy new owner will have years of fun making up stories about what might have happened. Could have been a fire poker.

Mick

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

33. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tavy View Post
    much harder to disguise repairs in broken maple ribs than rosewood ones.
    How awkward would it be to glue up the cracks without a good support from inside the mandolin ? Have you ever used maple wood filings mixed with glue to a paste-like consistency as a crack filler ? Then, of course, there is commercially available "plastic woods" too, I've used those on a few old beat-up wooden cases for mandolins, but never on instruments themselves. The stuff I've had shrinks as it dries, plus I could not get it sanded smooth.
    Bona fide dilettante

35. The following members say thank you to plinkey for this post:

My 1904 No. 3 in rosewood probably had similar bowl fractures. Mine had what looked like an amateur repair using Plastic Wood as a filler. Kurt DeCorte did the restoration of that area and did an excellent job, tho, as John noted, it might be easier to cosmetically hide the repair on a dark wood than a light one. Still I would think it would be possible and it looks like that part of the bowl did not have prior repairs which might be an advantage. I would say even a short drop off a table could cause that damage. If the mandolin was in a stable situation temperature and humidity wise, it may be possible that it might not need much in the way of filler. I guess only in-hand examination with tell, for sure.

I love the No.3 I have and I am sure that this one could be a nice one, too.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

37. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post: