Page 229 of 296 FirstFirst ... 129179204225226227228229230231232233254279 ... LastLast
Results 5,701 to 5,725 of 7397

Thread: Bowlbacks of Note

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Default Re: Bowlbacks of Note

Thanks, Martin! Very enjoyable to hear you play. I particularly like "Napoli Tutta Luce"--very light and delicate sounding. The Ceccherini sounds good across the dynamic spectrum from the gentle passages to the more dramatic. What a great song!

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Thanks, Mick -- I enjoyed playing the Ceccherini on these tunes, and there is a particular resonant quality to the tone that I think is the contribution of the suspended double top.

I've just realised that the embedded Youtube clips in my previous post don't show the name of the tune on the static thumbnail: the first clip is "Mezza Notte (Napoli A)", a ballo liscio tune by an unknown composer (at least Sheri hasn't managed to locate one), and the second clip is "Napoli Tutta Luce" by C.A. Bixio, a Neapolitan song also recorded by Carlo Buti and Vittorio de Sica.

Martin

Vittorio de Sica? I didn't know he also sang, but I guess that shouldn't come as a surprise. We just watched him in Rossellini's "Il Generale Della Rovere" this past weekend. Good movie. Any chance of his recording showing up on that Lost Wax site?

I enjoy playing both those songs as well and remember the delight (and breakthrough) discovering Bruce's transcriptions. Sheri's book is an amazing resource and her accomplishment in collecting all that music is priceless. It is a nice recording that you made and gives me some sense of the Ceccherini's quality. Would love to play one some day.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

Quote Originally Posted by brunello97 View Post
    Vittorio de Sica? I didn't know he also sang, but I guess that shouldn't come as a surprise. We just watched him in Rossellini's "Il Generale Della Rovere" this past weekend. Good movie. Any chance of his recording showing up on that Lost Wax site?
    No need for that: it's already on Youtube along with 1930s recordings by Carlo Buti and by Daniele Serra:

Daniele Serra
    Vittorio de Sica (in rather rough sound quality)
    Carlo Buti

The Buti video also has the lyrics, with the charming chorus:

Suonano i mandolini
    fioriscono i giardini
    Napoli è tutta sole
    tutto risplende in te.

I think the reason that De Sica has recorded it is that the song was written for the soundtrack of the 1934 movie "La canzone del sole" (IMDB), in which De Sica played one of the leads very early in his career. This apppears to have been a German-Italian co-production, although for some reason the German version has its own IMDB page with the same cast but a 1933 production date. No idea if it was remade the following year, or it's just a glitch in IMDB.

Martin

Thanks, Martin, great stuff! Listening to singers to help develop dynamics for playing is always useful to me. Three very different versions of the song for thinking about that. Serra's is very dramatic (Caruso influence? Gardel?) and I prefer it among the three in its own terms, but De Sica's is perhaps the most delicate which gives me a lot of ideas for playing. Can't wait to get home from the office…

No sign of La Canzone del Sole on Netflix (looks like great shooting locations.) Have you seen the film? Seeing a Italo-German production from 1933 would be very interesting. Right on the cusp before things started getting weird. I'd like to track it down, but I guess I'll have to dig a little deeper.

Mick

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

No, I haven't seen the film and don't know if it survives. There is a bit more detail, and a plot outline, at Italian Wikipedia (Link). More details, and a screenshot and plot synopsis in English, at this German website: Link. It's a basic screwball comedy involving De Sica as a young lawyer who pretends to be a famous tenor (Giacomo Lauri Volpi, playing himself) in order to impress a female singing student pretending to be a theatrical impressario. Seems it was shown at a film festival in 2010, suggesting that prints have survived.

Finally, searching for Lauri-Volpi and the German film title on Youtube gives an actual 6:43 minute excerpt of the movie, albeit concentrating on Lauri-Volpi's singing and not containing the song we're discussing: Link. Shot on location at the arena in Verona during a performance of Les Huguenots by Meyerbeer.

Martin
    (back to bowlbacks after this off-topic excursion)

Martin, this sounds pretty great so you have really enticed me to want to see it. The scene from Verona is classic. I love the giant sets (what is the dog doing on stage?) We saw 'La Forza del Destino' there back in '04 or '05 and the crowd shots don't look much different. We were sitting up on the old stone seats which had been soaking up the sun all day (all summer.) Experienced Italians had brought seat cushions…

The "Blockbuster" video chain here shows the film on their website but it is not available in any outlet near me. Our university library (which has nearly everything) also lacks it. I have a colleague from Bari who teaches on Italian film and I will query him on sources. Inter-library loan may turn something up. The ripping I know a thing or two about myself.

Thanks again, for this enjoyable diversion. Yes, I cede the thread back to its regularly scheduled bowlback conversations.

Mick

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

Martin, lovely playing on those videos: the sound of the Ceccherini really shines through and seems ideally suited to the music!

Quote Originally Posted by Tavy View Post
    Yikes... all this talk and Martin's playing has bumped up the final price on this one: GBP 720.00 (Approximately US $1,117.94)
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Wow. It is pretty clean mandolin, but that is a nice price.

Martin is too much of a square shooter to take credit, but I think a little Welsh baksheesh seems to be in order.

Mick

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

The final price probably has to do with the discussion here, but Ceccherinis have in the past obtained very variable prices -- this is by no means the top end of previous Ebay sales and online listings, whereas others have gone for a pittance. I bought mine for 400GBP seven years ago and thought then (and still think now) that was a very good deal and as prices of good (and playable) bowlbacks have gone up since then, I wouldn't think that 720GBP is outlandish now. On the other hand, I've also bought a 10-string Ceccherini (albeit much less clean than this one) for 50GBP on Ebay.

I think this price variability is largely because there isn't the name recognition as for Emberghers, Calaces or Vinaccias, which means that high prices are reached when there's more than one keen bidder, and low prices when there is not.

Just to round off Ceccherini week here in the BON thread, I've just recorded another one of the Matteo Casserini tunes on mine, this one a fast waltz written by Eldo Di Lazzaro to words by G. Micheli and R. Micheli. As a song, it has been recorded by Connie Francis, Claudio Villa, Luciano Tajoli, Alvaro Amici, Carlo Buti and others. I've put the lyrics in the video description on Youtube. My recording is based on the hand-written Matteo lead sheet, with additional harmonies from Sheri's book:

La Romanina

Martin

Martin!!! Stop recording those tunes. Your fanbase is salivating over those Ceccherinis. The prices are skyrocketing now.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Hi, I just came across this Ceccherini posting....and it made me smile this morning. Tonight, I'll be playing the Ballo Liscio tunes at Cafe Trieste in Berkeley, with Bruce Zweig and a few other cast members. My "Umberto C." will be joining me too. I picked this one up through the cafe's classifieds, a few years ago. It's only been recently, after a few minor adjustments, that it's started to blossom. Now, it's become my primary instrument for italian and classical music.

That is so wonderful and envious that Caffe Trieste has been going on for that long. One of these days I must get out there and hang with you folks.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Martin!!! Stop recording those tunes. Your fanbase is salivating over those Ceccherinis. The prices are skyrocketing now.

"Umberto C." I love it.

Mick

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

Quote Originally Posted by girldingo View Post
    Tonight, I'll be playing the Ballo Liscio tunes at Cafe Trieste in Berkeley, with Bruce Zweig and a few other cast members. My "Umberto C." will be joining me too. I picked this one up through the cafe's classifieds, a few years ago. It's only been recently, after a few minor adjustments, that it's started to blossom. Now, it's become my primary instrument for italian and classical music.
    Great to hear! Is that Victor's old Ceccherini you're playing? One issue with both mine and Victor's (and possibly a common one with Ceccherinis in general) was that the original nut position was a couple of milimetres to far away from the first fret resulting in the lower frets intonating sharp. I corrected that one mine, which was fairly straightforward (there is an old thread about it), and it now intonates spot-on. The frets in themselves are in the correct positions, so it's just a nut correction. Is that the setup adjustments you mentioned? If not, you may want to check intonation on the lower frets.

Great to hear Caffe Trieste is going strong! Next time, give my regards to Bruce and (if she's there as well) Sheri Mignano -- I've corresponded with both and I'm grateful for the work they've put into keeping this repertoire going!

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Jonas View Post
    Great to hear Caffe Trieste is going strong! Next time, give my regards to Bruce and (if she's there as well) Sheri Mignano -- I've corresponded with both and I'm grateful for the work they've put into keeping this repertoire going!

Martin
    Martin is so right. Bruce and Sheri have provided an incredibly vital link to open up this great music to many of us not lucky enough to live in walking distance of Caffe Trieste. If Scott is out there listening an updated '10 minute' MC interview with Sheri or Bruce would be great to add to the site. The recent conversation with Carlo was a real pleasure.

Mick

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

Here's a video clip from Dec.26, 2011, at Caffe Trieste in Berkeley....some glorious italian music. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zs4r...ccAUAAAAAAAAAA

Lovely clip of Mezza Notte, Girldingo -- thanks for posting! I presume that's you with your Ceccherini front left?

I also like your other clip of Mazurka per Catarina, a tune I've never quite got to grips with. Should try again, probably.

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by girldingo View Post
    Here's a video clip from Dec.26, 2011, at Caffe Trieste in Berkeley....some glorious italian music. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zs4r...ccAUAAAAAAAAAA
    Wonderful! I am watching/listening with my morning 'Caffe'. Nice way to start the day.

thanks!

Mick

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

I thought that this was a newly for sale 1957 Embergher (pecoraro) but Rafl leenen reports that this same instrument is owned by a member of his ensemble. So, this is a scam.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I thought that this was a newly for sale 1957 Embergher (pecoraro) but Rafl leenen reports that this same instrument is owned by a member of his ensemble. So, this is a scam.
    Jim, did you or Ralf contact the Ebay folks about this? That is a lovely fluted maple bowl; a really rich surface.

Mick

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

Ralf did. Built by Pecoraro.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

It's showing as "sale pending", so it's too late for potential buyers, but I've just noticed that Chris Acquavella has been selling his 2004 5bis replica by Liuteria Romana in the Cafe classifieds, presumably to make space for "Baby". At his asking price of $2500, this strikes me as a very good deal indeed!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	53673.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	81499

Martin

I hope that that 1957 Embergher seller did not scam anyone and it looks like eBay removed it. I have those very pictures in my files. It was sold in May of 2009.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately: